Have you ever experienced drinking and suffering from diarrhea after? This usually happens and it is considered normal by some people. Do you consider it normal too or the main reason why you are reading this right now is because you had a few too many drinks recently and you have ended up in your own bathroom trying to stop your irregular bowel movement?
Diarrhea might seem like a minor problem especially when compared to other diseases that are considered serious but when diarrhea is not given the type of remedy that it needs, it can also lead to a series of complications such as the following:
- Extreme Dehydration – When people merely release their stools and they do not replenish the amount of water that they are losing, this might cause extreme dehydration which in turn can result to other diseases.
- Extreme Weakness – Because of being dehydrated, a lot of people do not feel strong enough to move. They are also feeling tired because of having to go to the bathroom ever so often.
- Light Headedness – Still, this is related to being dehydrated and people usually lose their ability to think about the things that they should do.
If you are suffering from extreme diarrhea, it might be a good idea if you have someone with you. This way, you can be sure about that you will be hydrated during the course of the diarrhea.
Why Does Drinking Alcohol Cause Diarrhea?
Alcohol can cause irritation in the digestive tract and people who have more sensitive digestive systems; they have the tendency to have bouts of diarrhea whenever they drink. Usually, those who are afflicted with this type of problem are those who are already suffering from IBS or Irritable Bowel Syndrome but surprisingly, a lot of people do not even have any idea that they have it. Now that you have already felt it, you have to remember that IBS is usually experienced by people in a very random manner. This means that sometimes people have it but sometimes, they don’t.
How Alcohol Causes Diarrhea
It will still be hard for you to understand what possible causes of diarrhea are found in alcohol. It has already been discussed that having IBS can cause diarrhea but what about some people who do not have IBS but still suffer from diarrhea afterwards? Is there something in alcohol that might cause irritations? Here are some of the possible causes you have to know:
- Yeast Allergy – Since a lot of alcoholic beverages have yeast content, it is not surprising that if you are allergic to yeast, you may have some problems after drinking alcohol.
- Wheat Intolerance – If you are particularly fond of beers, you may want to rethink your choices because you may have wheat intolerance which can basically cause you to have diarrhea. This may also mean that you are allergic to all wheat products as well as other grains.
- Sulfites – There are some people who are allergic to sulfites which is sometimes found in certain alcoholic beverages.
Aside from the possible content of alcohol that can cause infections, there are instances when alcohol can cause the muscles of the digestive system to contract. This means that food will travel faster and will be released by the body without getting all the right nutrients.
How to Get Rid of Diarrhea after Drinking Fast
Recommended Reading:15 Natural Home Remedies To Get Rid of Diarrhea Fast
Some Tips to Remember
If ever you do not want to suffer from diarrhea due to alcohol consumption, these are some of the things that you ought to do:
- If your diarrhea is brought about by an ingredient found in alcoholic beverages, you may want to check out all the different ingredients of the alcoholic beverage that you need to drink beforehand. You can avoid those that you know will trigger an episode of diarrhea.
- Do not forget to drink water. One of the reasons why people suffer from diarrhea is because the body is not hydrated enough and even if people are already suffering from the condition, there is a need for people to drink water in order to feel fine despite the condition that they are experiencing.
- Remember that if you are suffering from diarrhea avoid passing gas. It can smell awful and there is also a big chance that you might pass something more than gas.
Avoid stressful and embarrassing situations by making sure that you can tolerate alcohol.