Can Gas Cause Chest Pain?There are some people who sometimes develop chest pain because of the gas in the stomach. Chest pain is something that a lot of people are scared to experience because they usually associate it to heart problems. Yet, there are actual times when people experience chest pain because of too much gas.
When gas becomes excessive in the abdominal area, it tends to rise up and can cause some pain in the chest area. This is usually caused by overeating. When the digestive system works too much, it tends to produce too much gas which in turn can be the cause of chest pain and sometimes other problems and conditions like diarrhea and constipation.
Causes of Excessive Gas
Here are some of the other reasons of acquiring excessive gas:
- Food High in Fiber – There are a lot of people who include fiber in their diet because they believe that this can cause them to lose weight but fiber rich food products can make it harder for the body to cope because fiber can be hard to digest. While fiber is good for the whole system, an excess of fiber can also lead to some problems so fiber intake should be taken in moderation.
- Carbonated Beverages – Have you ever experienced drinking a carbonated drink and feeling an urge to burp afterwards? This is because carbonated drinks can cause the formation of excessive gas. Aside from not having enough nutritional benefits, carbonated drinks usually contain a lot of sugar which in turn can be bad for the body.
- IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) – If you are suffering from this condition then there is a chance that you are more likely to develop too much gas in your system. Of course, having excessive gas can lead to a variety of other problems.
- Food Intolerance – There may be certain food products that will be easy to digest for some people but for some reason, you cannot digest it properly. If ever you experience this, do not fret because food intolerance is normal and it can lead to being more gassy than usual.
- Bad Eating Habits – Are you the type of person who eats and laughs at the same time? Or maybe you tend to eat your food in a very fast manner. These bad eating habits can lead to the formation of excessive gas in your stomach.
Some Symptoms of Excessive Gas
How do you know if you are suffering from having too much gas in your system? Here are some of the symptoms that you have to watch out for:
- Passing of Gas. Do remember that you may pass gas involuntarily and voluntarily.
- Sharp pains felt near the abdomen.
- Tightness of the abdomen. You will know if your abdomen is tight if it makes a hollow sound when you try to hit it lightly.
- Feeling of being bloated. This is a feeling wherein you might think that you have gained weight but you have not.
- This may be done loudly although some may try to belch silently depending on where they currently are or what they are doing.
Home Remedies For Gas Pain In Chest
If ever you already know that the gas from your stomach has already reached your chest, do you know what you should do about it? It will be hard to function and do the tasks that you need to do. Here are the things that you should do:
- Drink Water (And Other Liquids Too) to Get Rid of Gas Pain in Chest
One of the main reasons why excessive gas can be present in the abdomen is because the digestive system is unable to work properly. Drinking water and other fluids will help aid the digestive system in taking the food out of the system together with toxins that might come with it. When food is already digested, this lessens the chances of having excessive gas.
- You are recommended to take about 8 – 10 glasses of water everyday although this may change from person to person.
- If you are suffering from indigestion, you may want to take soups first. The liquid from the soup can be helpful in making digestion possible.
- Increased fluid intake will help you pass gas voluntarily which can give you immediate relief.
- Avoid Carbonated Drinks
While it is true that you should drink liquids in order to get rid of your digestive problems and lessen the amount of gas in your abdomen and chest, you have to remember that drinking carbonated drinks is a no-no. When you do that, you are only increasing the amount of gas that you can find in your system.
- When you take carbonated drinks, you may feel an increase pain in your abdomen and chest area because you have contributed to the amount of gas present.
- Increase Flatulence Through Some Food Ingredients
Increasing your flatulence can be very helpful in getting rid of the pain brought about by taking in some of the food ingredients. There are a lot of food products that can be helpful in doing this.
- Add some mustard to the food that you are going to eat. Mustard can be preventive in gas build up and can be very helpful for you.
- Turmeric has some properties that can help in digestion.
- Cumin is another Indian spice that has properties that can be very helpful in preventing the buildup of gas and lessening feelings of being bloated.
- Add Tea as Part of Your Diet
There is a possibility that you are not a fan of tea but tea can give you so many benefits that can help you out in the long run. Choosing the right tea for you can be a bit hard especially since there are so many to choose from.
- Ginger tea can be very helpful not only in the reduction of gas but in aiding against sore throat and other mouth infections.
- Green tea is known to contain a lot of anti oxidants that can help the body release toxins that might be causing the buildup of gas in the body.
- Peppermint tea, due to its taste which is well liked by a lot of people can be very beneficial if you are already feeling pain because of the excess gas since it can offer you immediate relief.
- Apply Apple Cider Vinegar to Get Rid of Gas Pain in Chest
Is there any condition that cannot be cured by apple cider vinegar? There may be a lot but it is one of the most popular things that can be used as a home remedy for a lot of diseases and conditions. It may be used topically and in the case of having excess gas, should be taken orally.
- It is advisable to take a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and mix it in with water. This can be consumed before eating any meal since this will help aid in the digestion process.
- Apple cider vinegar may also be taken before going to sleep to provide relief.
The things that are mentioned above are meant to help you get rid of gas pain in chest. Can you think of other remedies that you can do to start feeling comfortable again?For more info you can read 16 Best Ways to Get Rid of Gas and Bloating Fast