There is a chance that you are contemplating on getting a gastric sleeve surgery so that you can lose weight permanently. This is one option that people would like to do so that they can get rid of their excess weight and have the type of body that they have always wanted. What gastric sleeve surgery does is it makes sure that your stomach will become smaller and in the process, you can lose weight.
Do remember that this type of surgery is not unlike other surgeries that are pretty simple. This type of surgery requires people to make sure that they will be prepared beforehand so that they can be prepared and they can get the results that they have always wanted.
Here are just some of the tips that you can follow so that you will know the various tips that you have to follow so that you can have a successful gastric surgery.
Things that You Can Do Before Surgery
- Take Note of the Food Products that You Consume
There is a chance that you have always eaten meals and food products that you have always liked to eat. Before undertaking the surgery you have to eat meals that are rich in protein. Do remember that after the surgery, it will take a long time before you can eat solid food products so make sure that you will only take liquid food products. Some of the things that you can include in your grocery list are the following:
- Soups and Broths
- Skim Milk
- Make Sure You Will Get Rid of Vices
Smoking or drinking will not give you much help before you undertake the surgery. There is always a chance that you will get more complications if you will continue with smoking or drinking before your surgery. Stopping your vices will give the following advantages:
- Stop possible risks of complications because of the vices.
- The doctor will continue on with the operation. Most doctors will refuse your surgery if you would not stop smoking.
- Recovery will be faster than ever.
- Prepare the Proper Clothes
You have to remember that after the surgery, it can be a bit hard for you to move around if you would not wear the proper clothing. You have to make sure that you also have new clothes that you can wear when you have already changed into the type of weight that you would like to have.
- Choose loose clothing that can be very easy to place and take out.
- Use slip on shoes and slippers. It can be hard for you if you would try wearing clothes that you have to tie every time you place it on.
- Make sure that you have clothing that will fit your new body once you have fully recovered.
- Make A Change with Regards to Your Diet
One of the greatest mistakes that people make a times is they do not pay attention to their diet. This means that even if they already know that they are going to undertake the surgery, they still continue on with eating fast food and other unhealthy food products and meals that will not be very helpful. Make sure that you will change your diet beforehand. You can add more of the following:
- Take all liquid diet.
- Avoid eating fast food and other fatty food products.
- Take a lot of healthy juices.
- Arrange the Transportation that You Are Going to Use Going Home from the Hospital.
You would have to arrange this ahead of time because it will be impossible for you to drive from the hospital and it can also be hard for you to wait for a long period of time for a cab to take you home. You may ask a friend or a family member to take you home so that you can start your recovery.
Tips That Can Help You after Your Surgery
Now that you have already undergone your surgery, there is a chance that you are still feeling that you are still not your normal self. Do remember that these are things that you can do so that you will be able to recover at the soonest possible time:
- Follow the Diet Set by Your Doctor
Your doctor will give you a step by step diet guide that you have to follow religiously. Do remember that this will help you recover faster than what you have expected. Most of the time, you would have to avoid food products that are high in fat as well as some sugars. Make sure that you will avoid this so that you can recover faster.
- Get Enough Rest
There may be times when you may be feeling bored at home and you are feeling better than usual. You might be tempted to go back to work or do some things around your home but you have to avoid doing any type of work for a certain time period. The amount of time that you need for your recovery might be different from one person to another but within a two week period, make sure that you will not do any amount of work.
- If you have already gone back to work, make sure that you will do light tasks first.
- Avoid heavy lifting because this can be bad for your health overall.
- Do Some Light Exercises
You might think that you would have to avoid exercising when you are recovering but when you exercise; this can help strengthen your body. This will help you strengthen your muscles and get your strength back. This means that you can go back to work faster than what people have expected but make sure that you will get the approval of your doctor beforehand.
- When you do light exercises, your body will be able to recover from the lack of solid food that you can take.
- It will help your body still remain functional even with the recent changes.
There is a chance that you would like to make sure that you will get the full benefits of going through the surgery. Do remember that you will be able to do this if you would research even when you are recovering. You can always research with the use of the Internet. It will be easy and you can incorporate those lessons to your new lifestyle.
- Do Not Miss Check Ups
You might think that you can just miss your checkups before you feel that you are recovering well but you have to remember that this may not be the case at all. You have to make sure that you will still keep your checkups with your doctor no matter how busy you may be with the work that you have to catch up on or with travelling that you were not able to do before your surgery.
- Your doctor will give you prescriptions. Make sure that you will follow those prescriptions at the soonest possible time.
- Your doctor will also give you a list of the things that you can and cannot do. Follow these things so that you will not have any problem.
With these tips in mind, going through gastric sleeve surgery will be easier.