How to get rid of earwax safely at home?The glands naturally produce earwax in the ear canal. Earwax is meant to protect the ears as it has antibacterial properties. Aside from getting rid of bacteria, they are also meant to lubricate the ears.
The problem occurs when too much earwax causes buildup or blockage in some parts of the ear. The earwax may get stuck inside the ear canal because of the following reasons:
- Using Q-tips to remove earwax
- Placing other long and narrow objects inside the ear
- Using headsets and earplugs often
If in case you are very careful about the things you place inside your ear, there are also other infections that may cause more earwax such as the following:
- Infection of the skin, bones or cartilage
- Trauma within the ear canal
- Deficiency of some vitamins and minerals
If you feel that you are currently suffering from earwax blockage, you should not worry because there are different remedies that you can do to get rid of earwax immediately.
Symptoms of Too Much Earwax
You will know if there is too much earwax on your ears if you experience the following symptoms:
- There is an uncomfortable sensation in your ear that you are trying your best to get rid of.
- You tend to feel like your ear is full.
- You can barely hear anything from your left ear.
- Your ear itches.
When you fail to remove the earwax from your ear, the symptoms you will begin to experience will become more intense:
- Severe pain coming from your ear
- There may be some drainage coming out from your ear
- Uncontrollable coughing
- Hearing loss that may come and go
- Dizziness – Take note that the ear is responsible for helping us keep our balance.
- Odor that comes from the ear
8 Easy Natural Remedies to Get Rid of Earwax
These are some of the natural remedies you can use to get rid of earwax:
- Hydrogen Peroxide
If you would like to get rid of earwax accumulation, hydrogen peroxide is one of the best that you can use at home. This will be able to remove the earwax from your ear efficiently.
- Mix hydrogen peroxide with water.
- You can use an ear dropper to place the mixture in your ear slowly.
- Tilt your head sideways as you allow the solution to enter your ear canal.
- Leave for about 2 – 3 minutes.
- Tilt your head towards the floor depending on the ear where you have placed the mixture so that the solution will be drained.
- You will see a more watery earwax that you can quickly expel from your ear. You can just wipe it with a clean cloth to remove the excess earwax you have removed from your ear.
- Vinegar with Rubbing Alcohol
This is one of those home remedies that people have used in the past, and it has worked before, so it is very likely that it is going to work now. The alcohol will serve as the drying agent so that it will evaporate once it reaches the ear. The vinegar, on the other hand, will be useful in killing the fungi and bacteria that may be causing the infection of the ear.
- You need to prepare white vinegar and rubbing alcohol in a bowl.
- You can soak a cotton ball in the solution.
- Tilt your head with the affected ear facing towards the ceiling as you drop the solution into your ear.
- Allow the solution to stay inside your ear for about 5 minutes.
- Tilt your head again but this time going towards the floor as you allow the solution to drain out.
- You may start to see the earwax that caused the blockage to stay near the front portion of the ear.
- Use Olive Oil to Get Rid of Earwax
You may think that olive oil is just used for the skin and hair. Of course, people know how this can be effective for cooking, but there is so much more to olive oil that you should know. Olive oil can efficiently make the wax softer so that it can be easily expelled from the ear.
- You need to warm the olive oil for a few minutes.
- You can use a dropper to drop a few olive oil on the affected ear.
- It may take 10 minutes before the ear wax can become completely soft.
- Remove the oil from your ear once you tilt it sideways.
- Warm Water
If you want to flush out the excess earwax from your ears, you can just use warm water to do this natural remedy. The force of the water on your ear will be enough to get rid of the wax so that you can remove it from your ear easily. When using warm water, make sure that you will only pick clean water.
- Make sure that the water is not too warm for your ear. Your best bet is to make the temperature almost near room temperature water but slightly warmer.
- Face your affected ear towards the ceiling and pull your outer ear so that the ear canal can be straighter.
- Put a small amount of water in your ear canal.
- Leave on your ear for a short while then tilt towards the opposite side so that the ear wax can be completely drained.
- You can use a clean cloth to wipe away the water and the earwax from the ear.
- Baby Oil
Another type of oil that you can use to soften earwax is baby oil. A lot of people has used this in the past, and there is no reason why you cannot use it now.
- You need to use a dropper to place the baby oil into your ear.
- Put about 2 – 5 drops.
- You need to place a cotton ball on the opening of the cotton ball to prevent the oil from going out.
- Leave for a few minutes.
- Get rid of the cotton ball and tilt your head towards the other direction so you can remove the excess oil.
- The opening of the ear may have extra oil and earwax. Remove the excess with the use of a clean cloth.
- Use Salt Water to Get Rid of Earwax
This is one of the most popular remedies for removing earwax. Salt water can make the hard earwax softer so that it can be expelled easily from the ear.
- Mix a teaspoon of salt in a cup of water.
- Soak a cotton ball in the salt water mixture.
- Tilt the affected ear towards the ceiling and place a few drops of salt water from the cotton.
- Tilt your head towards the other direction.
- You can remove the wax from your outer ear with the use of a clean cloth.
- Almond Oil
Almond oil is known to be good for the body so it is no surprise that it can be used to get rid of earwax as well. You can simply use almond oil to lubricate the ear and soften the earwax so that it will be easier to remove.
- You need to use room temperature almond oil.
- Use an ear dropper to place the almond oil into the ear. Just a few drops will be enough.
- Allow the almond oil to soften the wax for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Place a tissue over the ear where you have placed the oil.
- Tilt towards the other side to get rid of the oil efficiently.
- Clear away the outer ear from excess oil and wax.
- Use Baking Soda to Get Rid of Earwax
There is something about baking soda that makes it extremely useful in various parts of the home. You can use it to get rid of earwax too. You can make hard wax softer with the use of this remedy.
- Mix a quarter of a teaspoon of baking soda in two teaspoons of clean water.
- Use a dropper to place several drops into your ear.
- Wait for 10 minutes while keeping one side of your head tilted towards the ceiling.
- Use a rubber bulb syringe to flush warm water inside your ear.
- You can then place the affected ear towards the floor so that the excess solution will be drained from the ear.
- Clean the residue from your outer ear with the use of tissues or clean cloth.
Using Over-the-Counter Kit
Over-the-counter kits require you to do the ear irrigation solution. This is effective provided that you do not have an ear injury and you have not have had any medical procedure done on your ear. If you have a ruptured eardrum and you try to do this, you may acquire ear infection. In some severe cases, this may cause hearing loss.
These are the steps you usually have to take to use over-the-counter kits safely:
- Choose a position that you are comfortable in. You may choose to stand up or sit down.
- Hold your outer ear and stretch it out a bit to straighten the ear canal.
- Use a syringe without a needle to place a stream of water inside your ear. Make sure that the water is room temperature. If you choose to put water that is too warm or too cold, you may become slightly dizzy.
- Drain the water by tipping your head towards the floor.
This has to be done several times to prevent wax buildup. Those who are prone to getting wax buildups may do it from time to time.
Should You Consider Ear Candling?
Some people say ear candling is very useful, but for those who have experienced bad effects because of ear candling, they would need to spend more to cure the burns that they have acquired. Some of the adverse effects include the following:
- Punctured eardrums
- Face and ear burns
If you would still choose to get ear candling, select someone who is aware of the proper things that should be done. There are a lot of accidents that are unreported.
Getting Medical Help
If in case you have tried all of the natural remedies and over-the-counter kits, but you still have blocked earwax, you cannot waste any more time. You need to go and visit your doctor immediately.