How to get rid of earwax naturally?Cerumen is the scientific term that is used to call earwax. If in case you are not too familiar with the real reason why earwax exists, it is actually a substance that is produced by the glands in order to protect the ear. If everything goes according to plan, there are several processes that take place inside the ear which will ensure that earwax that has been in the ear for a long time will be placed near the outer ear for easy removal but there are times when blockages may take place. When this happens, the person may find it harder to hear because the ear wax is blocking sounds from being heard well.
Causes of EarWax Blockage
If in case you are assuming that ear wax blockage is natural, there are several reasons why this may occur:
- Using wrong items to clean the ear – it is considered to be healthy to clean the ears by using q tips but there are times when people become desperate in clearing out their ear wax so they use different items instead that are not safe for the ear. When cleaning your ears, stick to using cotton buds just to be sure.
- Wrong method of cleaning the ear – There are also times when people clean their ears the wrong way. Instead of trying to get the ear wax out, they have the tendency to push back the ear wax inside the ear canal and this can cause blockage.
- Use of headsets – Listening to music for a long period of time may not allow the ear wax to go out of the ear naturally because the headset is blocking it.
The above mentioned things may cause ear wax blockage. If in case you already see it as a problem, do not worry because there are some home remedies that you can do to effectively get rid of it.
Top 10 Home Remedies to Get Rid of Earwax Fast and Naturally
- Use Hydrogen Peroxide to Get Rid of Earwax Naturally
Usually, hydrogen peroxide is used by people for other things but it can also be effective in getting rid of stuck ear wax on the ear. It has effervescent property which can make it effective in breaking down stuck particles. Breaking down ear wax can be very easy for the hydrogen peroxide.
- Mix equal amounts of hydrogen peroxide and water.
- Using an ear dropper, place the solution on the affected ear.
- Tilt the head sideways to make sure that the solution will reach the part that needs to be broken down.
- After some time, tilt the head another way until the liquid drains out.
- Use clean cloth to get rid of the ear wax that will appear on the outer ear.
Most people know glycerin as an item that can effectively get rid of stretch marks that can be found in different parts of the body but glycerin is also known to be effective in getting rid of ear wax. Glycerin will help soften the ear wax so that it can be taken out from the ear.
- Place a few drops of glycerin on the ear and wait for a few minutes.
- Let the glycerin settle in.
- Tilt the head in the opposite direction to let the ear wax become removed from the ear.
- Clear out the wax removed from the ear.
- Apply Olive Oil to Get Rid of Earwax
You are probably aware that olive oil contains a lot of good fat that can help fight the bad fat in the body but you are not aware that you can use it to get rid of ear wax on your ear. Olive oil can actually soften the ear wax so that it can be removed from your ear easily.
- Place a few drops of olive oil on the ear before bedtime.
- Wait for a few minutes and let the excess oil drop out.
- Repeat this process in a span of a week sometimes less to help the ear wax go out.
- Once the ear wax goes out, take it out with the use of clean cotton.
- Salt Water
Salt water is also known as saline solution and can be very effective in getting rid of ear wax. Aside from its properties, salt water can make the ear wax softer and gooey. This will help the ear wax become removed from the ear.
- Mix a teaspoon of salt in a cup of warm water.
- Make sure that the salt will dissolve before placing it on the ear.
- Tilt the ear and place the salt water solution.
- Hold the position for about 3 – 5 minutes.
- Tilt the head on the opposite direction to make the salt water solution come out.
- Clean the ear to remove the melted ear wax.
- Vinegar and Rubbing Alcohol Solution
It is likely that if you would ask people who are older than you for an effective home remedy to get rid of ear wax, they will probably say that you need to have vinegar and rubbing alcohol. The mixture will help dissolve the ear wax and the rubbing alcohol will help dry the liquid that might be left on the ears. Vinegar also has some components that will help get rid of bacteria that might be causing the blockage of ear wax.
- Mix vinegar and rubbing alcohol in a bowl. Make sure that they are equal.
- Using a cotton ball, soak this on the solution.
- Squeeze a few drops of the solution on the ear.
- After a few minutes, tilt the head on the other side to make the remaining solution go out together with the ear wax.
- Remove the ear wax from the outer ear using a cotton bud.
- Try Warm Water to Get Rid of Earwax Naturally
There are some people who become surprised when they learn that warm water can be used to drain the ear of ear wax. It is even likely that you are also surprised with this. Water is very gentle and can help dislodge the wax. Just make sure that aside from the water being warm, the water has to be clean to prevent bacteria from causing more stress inside the ears.
- Fill in a dropper with warm water.
- Tilt your head upright and drop the warm water directly on the ear.
- Put a small amount of water on the ear canal.
- Leave the water on the ear for about two minutes.
- Drain the water from the ear by tilting your head towards the opposite side.
- Clean away the water and the dislodged ear wax with a clean cloth.
- Use Baking Soda to Get Rid of Earwax
The main reason why earwax is hard to remove is because the ear wax is tough. The main thing that people can do in order to get rid of it is to soften the ear wax. This can be done with the use of baking soda.
- Mix a small amount of baking soda with water.
- Using a dropper, place a few drops of the mixture inside the infected ear.
- Wait for about 10 minutes to wait for the mixture to reach the ear wax.
- Place warm water on the ear to clean it up.
- Tilt your head towards the opposite direction to clean up your ear.
- Using a cloth, clean the ear.
- Use Almond Oil to Get Rid of Earwax
Sometimes, people find it hard to believe that oil can be used to clean ear wax because they sometimes think that ear wax can have an oily consistency too. Almond oil can act as a lubricant and can easily make ear wax become soft and gooey.
- Make sure that you have almond oil that is neither too hot nor too cold.
- Place the almond oil on a dropper.
- Drop about 5 drops of the almond oil on the affected ear.
- Make sure that you stay in the tilted head position for about 5 – 10 minutes.
- Place a tissue or a cotton ball over the ear and tilt your head towards the other side.
- Clean out the ear with the ear wax using a soft cloth.
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids
Omega 3 fatty acids are known to be very good for the body because it can help get rid of the toxins that are inside the body. Aside from that though, omega 3 fatty acids can help get rid of the wax that is blocking the ear.
- Do not place omega 3 fatty acids inside your ear. Instead, you would need to ingest it.
- It might be a good idea to ask your doctor about the required amount of fatty acids that you need to take every day.
- Including food products that are rich in fatty acids in your diet can be very helpful.
- Apply Coconut Oil to Get Rid of Earwax
Are you convinced that oil can be used to help get rid of ear wax? You should be convinced by now because here is oil that you can use – coconut oil. Coconut oil contains MCFA which is a form of fatty acid that can help get rid of the excess wax found inside the ear. Since coconut oil has anti microbial properties, this prevents the ear from getting infected.
- Place clean coconut oil on a dropper.
- Place about three drops of coconut oil on the affected ear.
- Wait for about 10 minutes.
- Flush warm water inside the ear to cleanse the oil.
- Wipe off the excess liquid and oil with a clean cloth.
With these home remedies, Getting rid of ear wax can be far easier.