There are moments when people may become more passionate about showing their love. They would do the French Kiss with the one that they love. This is an open-mouthed kiss that makes use of the tongue. There are also some who create little love marks all over the body. The love bite is also known as the hickey.This article show you 13 natural remedies to get rid of a hickey fast.
What is a Hickey?
A hickey is a bruise caused by biting with sucking or kissing on various soft parts of the body like arms or neck. The action of biting and sucking at the same time causes the blood vessels to burst and this explains why they look like bruises.
How Do Hickeys Look Like?
Let us say that you have never seen a hickey before and you are not sure if the mark that you can see on your neck or your arms is a hickey. There are some classic symptoms to watch out for:
- The hickey may look flaming red in the beginning but it would slowly turn into something that is more purple if the biting and sucking are more intense than usual.
- The mark does not hurt.
- It may cause more embarrassment when someone notices it in public.
- The hickey mark may disappear on its own within a week.
Why People Would Love to Get Rid of Hickeys
It is evident that people do not mind getting hickeys while they are on the act of passion with the one that they love but the moment that the moment is done and they have to appear in public, they usually feel ashamed of the hickeys. They try their best to cover it up. Women may cover it up with their hair and men may place bandages on them.
It can be harder for people who are still living with their parents. They need to make sure that their hickeys will go by unnoticed. For people who have had a night of passion with someone other than their partner, a hickey will be hard to hide.
When a person is spotted with a hickey, it can cause the people who have noticed to smile and laugh at the person. Some people who are spotted with hickeys are unable to go on with the tasks that they have to do for the day because of embarrassment.
13 Natural Remedies to Get Rid of a Hickey Fast
If you have tried your best to search for details online that will allow you to get rid of a hickey fast but have gotten confused because there are so many then you can find the best treatments here. These are the ways that will allow you to get rid of a hickey fast:
- Cold Compress
Remember that a hickey is caused by broken capillaries. The blood from the capillaries has spread out and has caused the hickey to appear. The moment that you notice that you have a hickey, you can apply cold compress on it. This will help stop the bleeding from the ruptured capillaries and will prevent the hickey from becoming more inflamed.
- Put ice cubes on a clean cloth.
- Press on the affected area of the skin for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Repeat this process several times a day.
If you have an ice pack, this will be more ideal as you will be able to place the pack on your skin whenever you need to do it. It will make the hickey disappear throughout the day.
- Rubbing Alcohol
This remedy may surprise you because it is something that you normally have at home. This is more effective for the hickey that has only been placed on your skin for a few hours. Rubbing alcohol contains properties that can sooth and cool the ruptured blood vessels of the skin.
- Place some rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball.
- Place over the affected area of the skin.
- Once the alcohol dries up, you can place a moisturizer on the affected area of the skin so that the area will not be dry.
- You can do this several times a day.
If you would do this remedy diligently, the hickey will go away in about 2 days.
If there is one thing that Vitamin K can do, it is to prevent clotted blood. Vitaming K is normally used to treat bruises caused by biting and there is no reason why this should not be used to treat hickeys too. This can help the body absorb back the clotted blood that has been stuck in one place and speed up the healing process.
- Look for a cream that is rich in Vitamin K.
- Apply on the affected area of the skin.
- Do this two to three times a day.
If in case you have not found a product that is rich in Vitamin K, another option is to eat food products that are rich in this vitamin. Some of the food that you can place in your diet are the following:
- Soybean Oil
- Fish Oil
- Brown Rice
There are still some Vitamin K supplements that are available if in case you want to increase the amount of Vitamin K that you have in your system.
- Aloe Vera
You know that Aloe Vera is known to be good for the skin and hair so it is no surprise that it is included as one of the remedies you can use to get rid of your bite or a kiss hickey fast. This will make sure that the affected area does not become too sensitive. Aloe Vera also has anti-inflammatory properties. This means that the inflamed area will start to heal faster.
- You would need fresh Aloe Vera for this remedy. You can get the fresh Aloe Vera from a leaf.
- Massage the Aloe Vera gel into the hickey.
- Do this twice or thrice a day.
Aloe Vera is also known to be effective for various skin conditions so you know that this will be effective for you.
Peppermint is known to be a stimulant and this can be effective in improving your blood circulation. This is one of the remedies that you can use in order to treat your kiss mark effectively. This will help heal your capillary vessels.
- Apply peppermint oil on the affected area of the skin.
- Expect that the skin where the peppermint oil is placed will tingle a bit.
- Do this twice a day.
Remember that doing this remedy more than twice every day will cause some skin irritation.
- Banana Peel
Do not throw away the banana peels just yet because you can use them in order to minimize your hickey fast. This is known to soothe and to cool down the skin so that your skin can heal faster.
- The peel of the banana should be cut in such a way that it will fit the size of your hickey.
- Apply the peel of the banana on the hickey for about half an hour.
- You may do this up to three times a day in order to reduce the appearance of the hickey on your skin.
- Hot Compress
Who says that you only need to apply ice in order to get rid of the hickey fast? You can also use heat so that the blood will be absorbed back by the body. Since heat can boost blood flow, this can be effective in making your hickeys disappear faster. Just remember never to work with a temperature that you cannot bear. You may end up burning your skin instead of getting rid of the hickey.
- Heat water.
- Soak a towel in the water.
- Once the temperature is comfortable enough, apply it on the skin.
This is the type of remedy that is more effective on hickeys that you have had for days already. If you were unable to use a home remedy on the hickey immediately, this is the best method for you.
You do know that if you start massaging the area where the hickey is located, you can increase the blood flow there and reduce the hickey’s appearance. When the blood disperses, the bite or kiss mark will be less evident.
- The sooner that you massage the area where the hickey is bound to set in, the better.
- You may use this with some other remedies to make it more effective.
- If you would massage successfully, the hickey will not form.
This is considered to be one of the best remedies that people use in order to get rid of the hickey fast.
- Cold Spoon
Once again, you will be using cold temperature in order to get rid of a hickey. Let us say that you do not have ice available yet or you do not have a clean towel where you are going to wrap the ice in. You can use a cold spoon instead.
- You can place the spoon on the refrigerator for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Apply the outer portion of the spoon on the affected area of the skin.
- Do this until the spoon feels warm. You may place more than one spoon so that you can use them simultaneously.
Take note that this remedy is most effective when the hickey is still new as this can prevent the coagulation of the blood from happening and reduce the appearance of the hickey effectively.
You know that the orange contains a high amount of Vitamin C. This is one of the vitamins that is needed by the body particularly by the skin so that it will continue looking supple. This can effectively repair your skin. This can be effective in healing your hickey as quickly as possible.
- Get fresh squeezed orange juice. You may drink it immediately after getting a hickey.
- You may take the fresh orange juice about 2- 3 times a day.
If in case you do not have fresh oranges, another option available is to take supplements.
- You can take 500mg of Vitamin C.
- Do this three times a day for a week.
- You will also see some good effects with your skin’s production of collagen.
- Cocoa Butter
This is known to be one of the effective healing agents that can be used in order to get rid of hickeys at the soonest possible time. Aside from getting rid of the hickey, this is also known to be effective in moisturizing the skin. This can also be effective in promoting the growth of new skin cells that will help the hickey heal faster.
- Make sure that you will apply heat on the area where the hickey is.
- Apply some cocoa butter on the area.
- Massage the area for a few minutes. By doing this, you will be reducing the possibility that your hickey will start to appear.
If in case you do not have access to cocoa butter, you can use almond oil or olive oil instead.
If you are going to do this method, make sure that you are going to use a new toothbrush so that it will be more effective. You need to use a stiff-bristled toothbrush for this. By brushing the area where the hickey is located, you can effectively improve blood circulation by this quick and easy method.
- Start brushing the affected area but make sure that you do not brush too hard because this can inflame the area further and worsen the overall condition of the hickey.
- It will take about 15 minutes before you start to see results.
- It is normal that the redness or the swelling will spread a bit but after some time, the tingling sensation will start to subside.
Remember that this remedy will work faster if your hickey is not too severe. If in case it is too severe, it may need some more time to heal.
- Arnica Salve
This is also known to be a healing ointment. It can help make the hickey a lot less sore. It will also make the hickey not swell too much. This can help repair the broken capillaries of the skin so that it will heal faster. If you have tried different remedies in order to make your hickey heal faster and you have not tried anything that worked for you yet, this may be the one you need.
- Simply apply on the area where the hickey is.
- Wait for the arnica salve to be applied on the skin.
- This can be done every day until the hickey starts to disappear.
Covering Up the Hickey
Let us say that you have done all of the things mentioned above and they did not work the way that you would like them to. There are other things that you can do so that you will cover up the hickey effectively.
- Wear clothes that can cover the hickey
There are some clothes that come with high collars and long sleeves so that you can cover up the hickey temporarily while it heals. Dress in a way that people’s attention will not go towards the area where the hickey is. Not everyone is very observant and there is a big chance that some of them will not notice your hickey at all.
- Allow your hair to cover the hickey
If you have long and thick hair, you will have no problems with covering the hickey. You just need to check constantly to ensure that your hair is covering the location where the hickey is. Now is not the right time to tie your hair in a ponytail or to wear your hair on a bun unless you are wearing the right clothes.
- Cover up the hickey with makeup
A lot of makeup provide good coverage in order to reduce the appearance of the hickey. If you would know how to do it effectively, you can cover the hickey effectively without having to wear uncomfortable clothes in the process. Use a green-tinted concealer to cover up your hickey. You may be surprised with how effective this can be.
With all of the things that you have learned about covering up your hickey and making your hickey go away, you will not be too self-conscious about it anymore. Remember that you should not allow having a hickey to control your life. Hopefully, the remedies that are mentioned above will work well for you.