Indigestion happens from time to time. Usually, this can cause you to feel uncomfortable because of all the pain that you are feeling. There are people who are suffering from indigestion who cannot even go to sleep because of the pain. If you would like to avoid getting it, what you have to do is know what the probable causes of getting indigestion are and how to get rid of indigestion naturally.
Symptoms of Indigestion
- Gas and bloating
- Growling stomach
- Abdominal pain
- Burning sensation in stomach
Causes of Indigestion
- Eating Spicy Food – There are times when it can be harder for the body to digest spicy food products and this results to getting indigestion.
- Eating Fatty Food – Since fatty food products contain a lot of oil and cholesterol, it can be a bit hard for the body to digest this.
- Overeating – Have you ever gone through a moment wherein you feel like you just want to eat everything so you did and you ended up with an upset stomach after? Do remember that every time that you overeat, there is always a chance that you will get indigestion after.
- Underlying condition – There is a chance that you have a different medical condition that is causing you to have indigestion. If in case this is the reason, you have to be checked by the doctor immediately.
Now that you know the possible causes of getting indigestion, you may want to check out some of the possible remedies that you can do to get rid of it but remember that you would have to forego doing the home remedies or other remedies if your indigestion is caused by other medical conditions.
Top 10 Home Remedies to Get Rid of Indigestion Fast
- Fennel Seeds
If you have eaten something spicy and this is causing your indigestion, you should know now that eating fennel seeds can help you out. This will help neutralize what spicy food has caused. This can also help reduce nausea so that you still start to feel better.
- Roast and grind fennel seeds.
- Place the grinded fennel seeds on a glass of water.
- Do this about twice a day.
- Take Peppermint Tea
The great thing about peppermint tea is that it can instantly relieve your whole digestive system especially if it is already very painful because of the indigestion. Since it is cool, it can soothe your digestive system and make you feel better.
- Prepare the peppermint tea bag by placing it on warm water for about 3 – 5 minutes.
- Take out the tea bag and wait for the water to cool.
- Drink the tea by sipping it slowly.
How to get rid of indigestion fast?Ginger is that it can help the digestive juices work better in digesting the food products that are stuck inside the stomach. You can take ginger when you know that the cause of your indigestion is overeating because it will help food move faster away from your stomach and into your large intestines so that they will be digested easier.
- You can grate fresh ginger and place it on a glass of warm water.
- Add a little bit of lemon juice.
- Add a few drops of honey to make it taste better.
- Drink it so that you can feel better.
- Carom Seeds
Aside from Fennel seeds, you may be surprised that there is another type of seed that you can use to help get rid of indigestion. Carom seeds have digestive properties that can help get rid of indigestion in a fast manner.
- Grind Carom seeds and freshly grated ginger.
- Place on a cup of warm water and drink.
- This can be done about twice a day.
- Apple Cider Vinegar
Do remember that apple cider vinegar will always be part of the home remedies list because of the various things that it can do. Aside from being good for the skin and being good for the hair, apple cider vinegar can also be good for indigestion. You might think that this might aggravate your condition further but remember that apple cider vinegar can also be good for your stomach.
- Place a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar on one cup of water.
- Place a little bit of honey.
- Drink the cup of water about three or four times a day.
- This can help relieve indigestion.
- Sipping Water
You might not be aware of this but when you are having problems with indigestion because of overeating or eating food products that are not that compatible with your system, you are recommended to drink a little bit of water because this may aid indigestion.
- If possible, you may want to take warm water.
- Don’t drink too much water because this can make you feel worse.
- Eat Mild and Soft Food
It is likely that while you have indigestion, you can barely eat anything but if you have to eat already, you do not want your stomach to become shocked because of the food products that you are eating. What you can do instead is make sure that you will eat food products that are mild and soft.
- Instead of drinking solid food, you may want to eat soup. There are different soups that you can take.
- Avoid eating fatty food products. There may be other fatty products that you are tempted to eat but this will only be bad for your stomach.
- Avoid eating spicy food. Spicy food products might only aggravate your current situation.
- Avoid Doing Vices
If you smoke or drink, you have to know now that when you do vices, this might only aggravate your condition. If you know that you are unable to last a day without a cigarette, you may start limiting your cigarette intake. Not only will this help your digestion, it will also help your health overall.
- Aside from smoking, you also have to lessen your alcohol intake.
- It will also help if you can also limit your caffeine intake.
- Chew Food Slowly
Do you know that one of the main causes of getting indigestion is because you do not chew your food properly?
- Food products should be chewed about 50 times before you swallow so that it will be easier for your enzymes to break down the food products and get the nutrients that are available.
- Give Special Attention to Your Diet
It is likely that you will not get any trouble in the first place if only you have paid special attention to the food that you eat. Instead of eating the usual food products that you like to eat, you should try replacing them with food products that you know are healthy enough.
- Include a lot of fiber rich food in your diet like a lot of fruits and vegetables.
- Try to take out the fat from the meat that you are going to eat.
- Avoid certain types of dairy.
Now that you have already learned the various remedies that you can use to help get rid of indigestion, it will be easier for you to cope every time you are having stomach problems.