Ringworm infection is known as Dermatopythosis. This is a type of fungal infection that can affect different people. It does not matter whether you are young or old. If you get infected by ringworm, you are going to feel a bit distressed. Some people think that due to its name, this is caused by an actual worm but this is not true at all.
This can be caused by different fungi species and the bad thing is that the mark can appear on various parts of the body. You can expect that it will appear on various parts of your skin. The most common parts are the arms and legs but you may also see the marks appear on your toenails, fingernails and your scalp.
How to Know If You Have Ringworm
To know if you are afflicted with ringworm, you can look for these symptoms:
- Scaly and dry patch of skin.
- Hair loss (on some parts of the arms/legs/scalp)
- Round red spots
- Crusting of the rounded areas
- Swelling of lymph nodes
It is already normal for you to reach for the anti-fungal cream at the soonest possible time so you can get rid of the ringworm fast but you do know that it is not always guaranteed to work. There are some anti-fungal creams that do not work well for ringworms while there are also some that may have several side effects.
In order to be sure about the items that you are going to place on your skin, you can try some home remedies first.
14 Natural Remedies to Get Rid of Ringworm Fast
Oregano is an herb that is best known for being placed on various dishes but do you know that oregano can be used as a home remedy too? The oil of oregano contains anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties that can help get rid of the fungi that has caused the ringworm in the first place. You do not want to wait for the time when your ringworm has already gotten bigger, right?
- Mix oregano oil with another carrier oil so that it can be placed on your skin.
- Apply on the affected area about 3x every day.
- You can do this every day until you see desired results.
Honey is also known to be a good home remedy for a variety of things. Aside from the fact that it is a natural sweetener, it is often used for some skin problems. Your ringworm is one problem that can easily be solved with the use of honey due to its anti-fungal properties.
- Apply raw honey on the area of the skin affected by ringworm. Do remember that in choosing the right honey to place, look for raw and unfiltered honey. This is the best variety that will work.
- You may choose to add honey to beeswax in order to make it more effective in fighting the ringworm fungal infection.
No home remedies list is complete without the inclusion of ACV. This is already known to be useful for different things. It is often used by people who would like to lose weight and this is also used by people who would like to improve the condition of their skin. You can also use this to improve your skin’s overall condition.
- Dip a cotton ball in ACV.
- Apply on the affected area of the skin.
- If you can bandage the area while leaving the ACV soaked cotton in place, this will be okay as well.
- You need to do this once a day until the ringworm disappears completely. Be reminded that it will start fading little by little.
This is already known to be one of the remedies used for various skin disorders so it is not surprising that this is a part of this list. It is already known to be effective against acne and other skin conditions. You can even use it in order to hasten the healing process of some your cuts and scrapes. Aside from its anti-fungal properties, it is also known to have antiseptic properties that will help get rid of the ringworm easily.
- Dip a cotton ball in tea tree oil. Make sure that the cotton is thoroughly soaked.
- Dilute the tea tree oil with water so that it will not be too harmful for the skin.
- Squeeze the diluted oil on the affected area of the skin.
- You need to check if all the “ringworms” are covered in oil.
- Do this procedure three times every day until the ringworm marks disappear.
You actually need the garlic extract in order to use against the fungal infection you have on your skin. The properties of garlic can eventually kill the fungus provided that you apply the extract directly on the affected area. You may want to mix it in with olive oil and honey to make it more potent.
- You need to crush about 2 – 3 garlic cloves. You may sometimes use more if you already have a lot of ringworms or the diameter of the ringworms are already big.
- Mix the crushed garlic with olive oil and honey.
- Apply the paste directly on the skin.
- After an hour, wash the paste with water. The reason why you should not leave it on your skin for a long period of time is because garlic may be too strong. It might cause burns on some parts of your skin.
- Do this about 2 – 3 times every day.
- You will start to see results in a few weeks.
- Jojoba Oil
What makes this home remedy highly effective in treating ringworms is the wax esters. This is known to be highly effective in getting rid of several skin infections so it is not surprising that it can help get rid of ringworm as well.
- To make jojoba oil even more effective, add a bit of lavender oil.
- Apply on the affected area of the skin.
- Aside from effectively curing ringworm, this is also known to have a soothing effect on the skin so that the ringworm will not be too itchy.
If you do not have ACV at home but you want to make use of vinegar in order to get rid of your fungal infection then you can use regular vinegar too. Vinegar is acidic and can effectively kill the fungi causing ringworm. Remember that if you have sensitive skin, this may not be the best option available as your skin may get irritated.
- Mix vinegar and salt until you have a paste.
- Leave on the skin for not more than 10 minutes.
- You can rinse this off with warm water.
- You will start to see some results within a week.
There are a lot of things that ginger can do not only for ringworm but for the whole body. If you have ever suffered from having a sore throat, ginger tea may be one of the things you have prepared in order to make your throat feel better. You can also use ginger in order to get rid of your ringworm. This is due to ginger’s anti – fungal properties that can effectively kill the fungi causing the ringworm found in various parts of your body.
- Boil ginger in water for a few minutes.
- Remove from heat and let ginger cool down for a while.
- Apply on the affected area of the skin.
If you are not too fond of placing ginger on your skin or you have always loved the taste of ginger tea, you can take ginger tea three times a day. The components of ginger will still have an effect on your skin.
The number of turmeric powder available has increased steadily over the past years because people have already realized that turmeric comes with a lot of benefits. Aside from its anti-fungal properties, this is also known to boost your immune system. Taking this will strengthen your immune system so that your body can fight off various diseases easier.
- You can mix honey with your turmeric juice.
- Drink this every day.
Another option is to add a few drops of turmeric juice on honey and apply the paste directly on the skin three times a day. You can stop once the ringworm fades away entirely.
There are different things that Aloe Vera is known to do. If you would check a lot of hair and skin products, you will see that Aloe Vera is always one of the main ingredients used. This can be effective in making the hair grow thicker and longer in a faster amount of time. It also has some good properties for the skin which includes its ability to get rid of fungi causing ringworms.
- You can take the Aloe Vera gel directly from the leaf.
- Apply on the skin.
- Do this 2 – 3 times a day until you see some results.
This is known to have properties that can effectively get rid of ringworm. If you would check a lot of the anti-fungal creams that are available in local drugstores, you will see that lemongrass is always one of the ingredients. This is also used for a variety of other skin conditions.
- You can drink lemongrass tea every day.
- Instead of discarding the used tea bags, you can apply the tea bags directly on the portions of your skin that are affected by ringworm.
- You can start seeing some results after a few weeks.
This has been around for a long period of time. In fact, Egyptians have used this in order to embalm the mummies that we are familiar with today. Aside from being used to embalm the dead, myrrh is also used to get rid of fleas and to prevent flea bites. The medicinal properties of this home remedy is not only used for ringworms but for other types of skin disorders.
- Mix myrrh with water.
- Make sure that you will mix it evenly until you form a fine paste.
- Apply the paste directly on the affected area of the skin. If you can apply it three times a day then this is great.
- You will start to see some results after a few days of continuous use.
- Colloidal Silver
If you are not familiar with colloidal silver yet, you should know that this is one home remedy that can be effective in getting rid of the ringworm found on your skin. This consists of ingredients that will help get rid of microorganisms that may be causing the fungus to thrive on your skin in the first place.
- Take note that colloidal silver can be found in two forms namely liquid form or gel form. Choose the one that you think will be most beneficial for you.
- You can apply this directly on your skin about 2x a day. You may need to apply it more depending on the severity of the ringworm.
- Remember that ringworms can take a long time before they heal completely. Even if you start to see the ringworm getting smaller or drier, continue applying the colloidal silver on the affected area before the ringworm completely goes away.
What do you normally use basil for? A lot of people use basil for cooking but this can be used for a lot of home remedies as well. Basil has some medicinal properties that can effectively get rid of the ringworm on your skin.
- You need to crush the basil leaves so that you can make the juices of the basil come out.
- Apply directly on the affected areas.
- You may do this about 2 – 3 times a day for the best results.
- Remember to continue doing this remedy until ringworm heals completely.
It should be remembered that ringworm is contagious. This means that if you allow the portion of your body that has ringworm with another part of your body, it may get infected too. Remember that while ringworms are not exactly serious, it will allow your skin to become more susceptible to a variety of other skin and health conditions.