For some people, they are not aware that toenail fungus is also known as onychomycosis. This can be considered as a skin condition wherein a type of fungus can be seen on one part of the nail. As a result of this, the nail becomes infected. There are some people who try to ignore this but after some time, they start seeing the results of the infection. There are even some infections that are so severe that it may spread to all of the nails.
Do remember that there are cases wherein toenail fungus can become so severe that the nails can even crack or split. There are also some people who tend to lose their toenails in the process. Before you start panicking because of your toenail fungus, you have to remember that this type of condition is highly curable. These are some things that you ought to do to make the fungus go away.
How to Get Rid of Toenail Fungus Naturally
- Tea Tree Oil
A lot of people are not aware that tea tree oil contains some antiseptic and antifungal properties. This can help get rid of the toenail fungus that may be causing you pain and discomfort. Do remember that aside from nail fungus, tea tree oil can also be used to get rid of other infections that can cause skin problems.
- Make sure that you will mix tea tree oil with carrier oil like coconut oil or olive oil.
- Drop the oil on the affected part of the nail.
- Leave the oil that was placed on the nail for about 10 – 15 minutes. Make sure that it will seep.
- There is a need to place it on the affected nail about 3 times a day.
- Orange Oil
There are a lot of people who become surprised to know that Orange oil is actually effective in getting rid of toenail fungus. This is because orange oil can be very helpful in getting rid of the fungus that is causing the nail problem.
- Mix orange oil with olive oil and mix well together.
- Use a dropper in order to drop a few drops on the infected nails.
- Let the orange oil mixed in with the olive oil be left on the infected nails for about 60 minutes.
- Do this about 2x a day for the best results.
- Baking Soda
The great thing about baking soda is it is one item that people can usually see inside their homes. Aside from the fact that it can help get rid of the fungi that is causing the nail fungus, it can also help get rid of the odor that people may be having problems with.
- Make use of baking soda and mix it in with hydrogen peroxide and Epsom salt.
- Mix all of the ingredients thoroughly. Once you are sure that everything has been mixed, what you need to do is add vinegar.
- Place the mixture on a basin and place your foot for about 10 minutes. This will help get rid of the toenail fungus.
- Repeat this process about 2x a day.
- This would have to be done until progress becomes apparent.
- Coconut Oil
Coconut oil usually has caprylic acid which is the primary reason why coconut oil can be very effective in getting rid of nail fungus. The great thing about this is that it can penetrate the side of the nail and get rid of toenail fungus. This will help dissolve the infection that might have set up on the side of the nail wall.
- Place the coconut oil on the side of the nail.
- Let the coconut oil be left on the side of the nail for about 15 minutes.
- This would have to be done about 2 – 3 times a day for several weeks until the problem becomes resolved.
- Listerine Mouthwash
There are a lot of people who become shocked when they learn that Listerine mouthwash is just one of those things that can be used as home remedies to get rid of toenail fungus. The mouthwash can help get rid of bacteria and the fungus.
- Place Listerine on a tub of water.
- Mix Listerine with a cup of white vinegar.
- Place the toenails affected by fungi on the basin wherein it would have to be soaked for about half an hour.
- Rinse off the area and keep the area dry.
- Do this about once or twice a day.
Other Remedies to Consider
If for instance you are not sure if you would like to do some home remedies, you have to remember that there are also other things that you can do in order to get rid of the toenail fungus that does not involve the use of home remedies.
- Surgical Treatment – In order to get rid of the toenail fungus fast, the option that you may think about is having surgery. Do remember that this is only recommended when people have severe toenail fungus. There are times when people would only need to take a portion of the nail depending on what is afflicted with the fungus. Do remember that total nail removal is not usually recommended.
- Nail Debridement – This is the process that is usually done by doctors by which only the dead or infected tissue will be done to hopefully get rid of the injection. Sometimes, this is done by trimming the nails or getting rid of the dead skin cells on the side of the nails. This is sometimes used for severe injections.
- Laser Treatment – There are some people who opt to get laser treatments instead because they believe that it can help them get rid of nail fungus at the soonest possible time. The high focus beam can help get rid of the fungus in the area where the fungus continually grows. The fungus can be removed although it might take several sessions before the fungus can totally be removed. There is a chance that it might take a bit long.
- Oral Medication – There may be some doctors who will prescribe oral medications in order to help get rid of the infection but this might not be done often and it would only depend on the severity of the infection that is being experienced.
Here are just some of the things that would need to be done in order to help get rid the toenail fungus. It might take a bit of time depending on the type of treatment that you choose to do. Aside from the home remedies mentioned above, there are still others that can be checked and be done. If you are not into trying out some home remedies, there are also other procedures that can be done to help get rid of the infection at the soonest possible time.
The more severe the toenail fungus is, the harder it will be to help get rid of it. It will be wise to talk to your doctor about it so that you know the right tasks to do.