There are a lot of people who are in their 20s or 30s who start to worry when they notice that their hair is turning gray. Having gray hair can make people older than their actual age. No matter how much you take good care of your skin so that it will remain wrinkle free, this will not be effective if your hair makes you look old.
Why Hair Turns Gray
The ultimate reason why hair turns gray is because the production of pigment that turns the hair into its natural color stops. It has always been said that Americans may get affected by gray hair faster than other nationalities. The pigment of African – Americans may stop when they are already in their 40s. Of course, genes will also play a huge role on how soon hair would turn gray. There are some people who get gray hair in their 20s while others would reach their 50th birthday with just a few gray hair strands evident.
The hair is said to produce hydrogen peroxide that is well known for causing the hair to become lighter.
The interesting thing is that hair is normally color white but because of melanin, it is turned to another color. Since melanin production is reduced significantly especially when people reach the age of 30, the chances that hair is going to turn gray becomes more likely.
You always have the option to use a hair dye in order to make your hair turn back to its natural color but a lot of these products make use of harsh chemicals that can cause some issues like hair fall or dandruff.
Other Possible Causes of Gray Hair
Do remember that the main cause of gray hair is still due to the lack of melanin pigmentation but these are some of the other causes:
- Vitamin B12 Deficiency
- Improper Hair Care
- Werner Syndrome
15 Natural Remedies to Get Rid of Gray Hair Fast
Since using hair coloring materials in order to improve your hair condition may not be too safe for your hair, the best thing that you can do is to try some home remedies.
- Curry Leaves
You may be familiar with curry leaves as something that is normally used for cooking but they can be used for other purposes namely increasing the pigmentation of your hair. In order to make curry leaves even more effective, you can add it to coconut oil.
- Boil fresh curry leaves.
- Add a tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Wait for the coconut oil to become charred.
- Apply on the hair and massage for a few minutes.
- Leave on the hair for about an hour with your hair covered.
- Rinse out with water.
You may do this remedy twice a week to see obvious results.
- Lemon Juice with Coconut Oil
You may be surprised at this point because you know that lemon juice is normally used to bleach the hair naturally especially if you are going to be under the sun after spraying lemon juice on your hair. In order to make lemon juice effective, you have to add it with coconut oil. Coconut oil can moisturize the hair and make it stronger. Since it contains a lot of anti oxidants, you can expect that it will help reverse the graying of your hair.
- Prepare coconut oil that can cover the total length of your hair. This means that the longer your hair is, the more coconut oil you are going to use.
- Add a few teaspoons of lemon juice to the coconut oil you have prepared.
- Mix thoroughly before applying on your hair and scalp.
- Massage your scalp for a few minutes.
- Leave on the hair for about an hour.
- Shampoo as usual.
- Do this weekly until you see your desired results.
- Blackstrap Molasses
The main reason why Blackstrap Molasses can be effective in getting rid of gray hair and actually reversing the effect of the lack of pigmentation on your hair is because it contains copper which can improve the production of melanin. Aside from copper, it is also rich in other minerals that can make the hair stronger and thicker.
- Eat a tablespoon of Blackstrap molasses preferably every morning.
- Do this everyday for a few months.
- Indian Gooseberry
There are a lot of hair problems that Indian Gooseberry is used for so it is only normal that this is going to be included as one of the solutions for your graying hair. Aside from premature graying of the hair, this can also be effective for thinning hair and improving dull hair. Indian Gooseberry contains antioxidants that can help get rid of the toxins from the hair and scalp. It is also rich in Vitamin C.
- You can heat a bit of coconut oil.
- Place Indian gooseberry.
- Let the oil char.
- When the oil cools down a little, apply on your hair and scalp.
- Leave on the hair overnight.
- Rinse off in the morning.
- You can do this a couple of times a week.
There are a lot of hair colorants that make use of henna but you can use it in its natural form to get the best results. This can also improve the condition of your hair. After using henna, expect that your hair is going to become stronger and darker.
- Prepare some henna leaves.
- Grind the henna leaves until they become pasty.
- Add a bit of yogurt and a little bit of Indian gooseberry.
- You can also add a bit of coffee to make the color even darker.
- Spread on your hair especially on the parts that are tinged with gray.
- Wait for the paste that you have placed on your hair to dry.
- Rinse off the henna with water and then shampoo your hair as usual.
- Since the henna is going to fade, you may need to do this once in every two weeks.
- Rosemary with Sage
Do you know that both rosemary and sage can help darken your hair naturally? This explains why yuo are going to use them together. They may cover the premature graying of your hair.
- Boil rosemary and sage in water.
- Once they have boiled considerably, leave the solution for a couple of hours.
- After shampooing your hair, use the water from the boiled rosemary and sage as a hair rinse.
- Remember to place on the hair for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse off with normal water afterwards.
- Do this every week.
- Black Tea
There are different types of tea available so searching for the right one is always complicated. It can be easier if you know exactly what you want to do with the tea. Since your main concern is to get rid of gray hair, you can use black tea in order to darken your hair. Black tea can also make your hair shinier and softer than usual.
- Place black tea in a cup of water.
- Add a bit of salt.
- Allow the tea to cool down.
- Rinse your hair with black tea a few times.
- Leave the black tea on your hair for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Do this once a week.
You may know that onion is a good spice that you can use to flavor your different dishes but onions can be used in so many other ways. Onion juice can be good for the hair. People with thinning hair use it in order to make their hair thick again. This can also be effective in making your hair dark again. The reason why onion is so effective is because it promotes the production of the compound called catalase that can help in making the hair darker.
- Get the juice from the onion.
- Apply the onion juice on your scalp.
- Massage the onion juice for a few minutes.
- After massaging, leave the onion juice on the scalp for about half an hour.
- Do this everyday for a few weeks in order to get desired results.
Do you have natural black or brown hair? If yes, then you can use coffee in order to darken your hair again. Coffee has a natural dye which can be effective in darkening your gray hair. This is the reason why drinking coffee is not that recommended as it can stain the teeth yet the color of the coffee can be useful in darkening your hair.
- Brew a pot of coffee.
- Mix the brewed coffee to your hair conditioner.
- You may also apply a few coffee grounds to the mixture.
- Leave on the hair for about one hour.
- Rinse your hair afterwards.
The dye from the coffee grounds may not be as strong as henna so you may have to do it several times until you get the shade you want.
- Black Sesame Seeds
If you would check traditional Chinese medicine, you will see that black sesame seeds is the one used the most in order to get rid of graying hair. Black sesame seeds can help promote the production of melanocyte which is needed to produce melanin. Black sesame seeds are also known to be rich in different nutrients that the hair needs. It contains copper, magnesium, iron and so much more.
- You have an option to place black sesame oil on your hair everyday for a few months.
- You can also consume black sesame seeds everyday.
- You need to eat a teaspoon everyday to get the results that you want.
- Potato Skins
Whenever you use your potatoes, you probably remove the skin and dispose them appropriately but do you know that potato skins can be helpful in getting rid of gray hair? The skins can create a natural dye because of the starch.
- Boil potato skins in water for about half an hour.
- Remove the potato skins.
- Allow the water to cool down.
- Add a few drops of essential oil of your choice but this is optional.
- Shampoo your hair.
- Part your hair into several parts and apply the water with essence of potato skins.
- It is advisable that you place the water of potato skins per section so that your hair will be evenly colored.
- You may need to repeat this several times until you get the color that you want.
- Almond Oil
There are different things that almond oil is known to do but this time, you can use it to effectively darken your hair.
- Mix almond oil, amla juice and lemon juice.
- Apply the mixture that you have created on various sections of your hair especially areas that are gray.
- Massage your scalp.
There are different things that Amaranth is known to do. This is also known for hair loss and thinning hair. This can effectively retain the color of your hair.
- Shampoo your hair.
- Apply fresh Amaranth juice that you have extracted from Amaranth leaves.
- Make sure that you cover all areas of your hair and scalp.
- Rinse after a few minutes.
- Black Walnut
If you would like to use a natural hair colorant and you have natural black hair then black walnut can be effective for you.
- You need to use the outside portion of the black walnut as a natural colorant.
- Once you have acquired black walnut powder, mix it with water.
- Apply evenly on your hair.
- Leave on the hair for about 30 minutes.
- Rinse off from the hair.
- Stop Smoking
It was mentioned earlier that smoking can have an effect on the color of your hair. Smoking can cause premature graying of your hair and if you stop, then you will be able to reverse the damage that you have created. When you stop smoking, you will also do a lot of benefits to your body. It will take time but you can take small steps to stop.
If there is one thing you should remember with doing all of these home remedies it is to not expect instant results. This is different from using chemically laced hair dyes. You are going to color your hair or darken your hair naturally. You may need to do the home remedies mentioned above diligently before you get the results you want.