You may not be familiar with what goldenrod is. Basically, this is a type of herb that comes with a lot of varieties. In the past, it was believed that if you have it at home, you will experience good fortune. There are also some bad reports about goldenrod mainly from those who suffer from allergies. It grows at the same time as rag weed which is the one that truly causes the allergies. Goldenrod is harmless and will not cause allergies.
The great thing about this herb is that you can grow it with the rest of your plants in your garden. Aside from the fact that it can add to the nice appearance of your garden, this also comes with a lot of benefits that will not only benefit you. It will give your family more benefits as well. Ever since the beginning of time, it has become known to fight different forms of issues. Now is the time for you to learn what goldenrod can actually do.
This has been used by Native American tribes in the past and they have found out that taking Goldenrod comes with a lot of benefits that cannot be received with other herbs. Are you curious to know what these benefits are? These will be discussed more later on. For now, you should read other information about it.
More Facts About Goldenrod
Goldenrod is also known as Solidago Canadenis and all other varieties. This is known to be part of Asteraceae family. The type of pollen that it has is heavy enough. This explains why it cannot be pollinated by the wind. It is the duty of the insects to pollinate this plant. Even though there are not a lot of details about the effects of goldenrod, it is still best if you would seek out all the needed details about it before you take it so you know exactly what you are going to get.
There are different ways that you may become exposed to goldenrod. A lot of people love treating it as a type of tea while there are also others who prefer it to be in essential oil form, poultice and powder form. It will be up to you which one you would prefer in order to take your goldenrod.
There are still some studies that are on going regarding the actual state of goldenrod. While it has been labeled many times as diuretic, some experts argue that it may be aquaretic. This means that it gets rid of the excess water in the body but it does not remove electrolytes like diuretics. Perhaps this will become clearer in the future.
One thing that has to be remembered about goldenrod though, this is not used to be a remedy by itself. It is effective in different ways but you have to realize that in order to get its full effect, you may have to mix it in with other treatments that are considered more definite and effective. The results of taking this herb may also vary from one person to another.
Some of the Benefits of Golden Rod
Here are some of the benefits that you can expect to receive when you take Golden Rod:
- It is loaded with antioxidants.
There are a lot of things that our body needs but does not get. What we place inside our bodies instead are toxins that can cause a wide variety of diseases. Toxins are known to cause different problems throughout the body. In order to get rid of them effectively, there is a need to take in antioxidants. Antioxidants can be found in goldenrod so taking it can effectively remove the toxins in your body that may cause various forms of diseases.
- It is best to take goldenrod this way in tea form.
- Simply place the goldenrod in hot water for a few minutes.
- Remove the goldenrod and add honey if you please.
- You will be surprised to find out that it has a somewhat pleasant taste especially when compared to other forms of tea.
- It can be an antidote or certain types of allergies.
You already know that goldenrod has been accused of causing certain types of allergies but on the contrary, it can be the antidote for certain types of allergies. The usual symptoms of allergies include having a stuffy nose, runny eyes and sneezing. These symptoms can be very uncomfortable and can periodically make you feel weaker. If you are suffering from rag weed allergies, taking goldenrod in tea form can be highly effective.
- It can be a great antidote for sore throat.
Are you suffering from sore throat? If you are, taking goldenrod can be a good choice for you. It will effectively get rid of the mucous that has been stuck in the lungs. This is because of the antiseptic and the antimicrobial properties of this herb. If you do not particularly like the taste of goldenrod, you can mix it a bit with honey to make it easier to drink.
- It can help break fevers.
If there is one thing that can make you feel uncomfortable, it is having a fever. Yet, when you think about it, this is the body’s way of telling you that it is trying to fight some sort of infection in your body. If you would like to feel more comfortable faster, taking goldenrod in tea form can be the answer. Goldenrod has a diaphoretic property which makes the pores of the skin open in order to make releasing sweat easier to do.
- It can help flush out the system.
Goldenrod can act as a diuretic which means that it will help increase the amount of urine and salt that will be released by the body. By doing this, the kidney and the bladder will be rid of toxins so the possibility of acquiring kidney stones have lessened considerably. There are also other organisms that may get stuck in the kidneys and bladder as well. The use of goldenrod can help get rid of these organisms.
- It can help improve the health of your urinary tract.
This is connected to the benefit that is mentioned earlier. Since the intake of goldenrod can effectively get rid of different toxins that may get stuck in the urinary tract, it decreases the chances of UTI to appear again. People who normally get UTI may want to consider including goldenrod as a part of their diet if they want to improve the health of their urinary tract.
- It can help get rid of mouth inflammations.
Whether you have canker sores or you have different oral health problems that are related to inflammation, you can get rid of these issues by gargling with goldenrod essential oil. Goldenrod has effective anti inflammatory properties that can be used as treatment to you oral health problems.
- Simply mix in 2 – 3 drops of goldenrod essential oil with a cup of warm water.
- Gently swish the mixture in various parts of the mouth especially the parts that you feel are inflamed.
- This can be done for about 5 minutes.
- Doing this every day can be effective in getting rid of mouth inflammations easily.
- It can effectively cure wounds.
Have you been wounded lately and you need it to heal faster than before. You can make use of goldenrod as a natural remedy to cure your wounds.
- You need to get the flowers and the leaves of goldenrod.
- Place in an essential oil together with the flowers and the leaves.
- You may place over the wound.
- This can also be effective in first degree burns.
- It can help get rid of muscle aches and pains.
There are different reasons why your muscles are hurting. It may be because of a wrong movement or wrong positioning. You may have gone to the gym and now you are trying to heal your muscles. The reasons may all be different but since muscle aches are uncomfortable, you would like to get rid of the pain immediately.
- Make sure that you will mix goldenrod essential oil with another carrier oil like coconut.
- You can rub the essential oil mixture on the affected area.
- You may also ask a professional masseuse to massage it on the affected part of your body.
- This can also be effective for joint pain so if you are suffering from arthritis, placing this on the affected areas will also help.
- it can prevent the onset of asthma.
One of the reasons why people suffer from asthma is because of their exposure to certain types of allergies. If you are allergic to ragweed and you know that this can eventually lead to asthma, take goldenrod in tea form immediately. It may also be available in tincture form and solid form.
- It can help get rid of some types of fungal infection.
Goldenrod contains saponins which can be effective in getting rid of certain types of fungal infection. If you are suffering from Candida, you can simply take in goldenrod in different forms. Some are saying that they can take goldenrod in fried form but everything fried may not be that good for the body. People who have tried this however have stated that goldenrod rather tastes good when fried.
Some Possible Side Effects of Goldenrod
There are not a lot of people who have complained about side effects of goldenrod but this usually depends on the medical condition that you have.
- If you are pregnant or you are lactating – There is not enough evidence that shows that it is unsafe for pregnant women or those who are breastfeeding but it is still best not to risk it. Avoid the use of goldenrod if you are not sure with what you are going to get.
- If you are sensitive to other forms of plants that may be closely related to goldenrod – Since they may have components that are the same, you may become allergic to it as well.
- If you have a history of kidney retention – Goldenrod does the opposite which is to remove urine from your system but if taken in large amounts, this may not be too effective anymore.
- If you have high blood pressure – High blood pressure may be acquired at times because of salt retention and goldenrod can sometimes worsen salt retention which can increase your blood pressure more.
Just one note to remember: it is not recommended that you are going to take goldenrod when you are taking diuretic drugs. Obviously, diuretic drugs can cause water and salt to be removed from your body. Goldenrod does the same to the body. When this happens, it will make your body lose too much water. It can make your blood pressure become too low.
How Much Goldenrod Should You Take?
Perhaps you are wondering now how much of goldenrod should you take in order to reap its many benefits. It will all depend on different factors such as your age, your health and your current health condition.
One of the biggest misconceptions of people is assuming that something is safe because it is all natural. This is not always the case. It is best that you still contact your doctor and ask for the appropriate details.
The best thing about goldenrod is it is a plant that you can easily grow on your garden. It can grow abundantly and you know that once you have it, there is plenty of it that can go around. There will be times when there is plenty of it that you can easily harvest for your needs. If you do not have goldenrod plant and you do not exactly have a green thumb, do not worry, you can purchase it in different forms from other stores. Have you tried using goldenrod before? If you have, then feel free to share your own way of preparing this type of herb. What are the effects that you have experienced from it. If you have never tried goldenrod before, now is your chance.