It is likely that you always dread that time of the month when you have your monthly period. Aside from the fact that it can be very uncomfortable to think about whether you have stained your backside or not, period cramps can also be felt. Period cramps can be painful and can be felt on the lower abdomen. There are times when they hurt so bad that women even faint as a result. For others, their period cramps are not as severe and they only feel a throbbing pain that lasts for a certain period of time. Instead of drinking various medications all the time, this post show you some home remedies that you can do to help get rid of period cramps before, during and even after menstruation.
Causes of Feeling Period Cramps
- Adenomyosis – This is the condition wherein the tissue that is on your uterus starts to go into the muscular wall of your uterus.
- Cervical Stenosis – This is the condition wherein the opening of the cervix is too small and it becomes hard for the menstruation to go out. When this happens, the pressure that is felt on the uterus doubles and pain can be felt even more.
- Uterine Fibroids – This is the condition wherein there are non cancerous growths that form on the wall of the uterus. Do remember that while they are basically harmless, they are very painful.
Other than these things, there are still other possible causes for feeling period cramps. Most of the time, cramps are caused by prostaglandin. This substance makes the uterine muscles contract when women have their period.
Since it is likely that you can barely do anything when you have your period, the best thing that you can do is to make sure that you will make it go away. It is easy to drink some medications but you have to remember that doing this often might make you immune to those products to the point that the same dosage will not do a lot of good anymore.
Top 10 Home Remedies to Get Rid of Period Cramps Fast
If you are wondering what heat can do, it actually relaxes the contracting muscles of the uterus so the pressure that is causing the pain will start to go away to reduce the pain that you are feeling.
- If you have a heating pad, place the heating pad on the area that hurts. Usually, this is felt on the lower abdomen. If you do not have a heating pad, you may also choose to use a bottle and place hot water inside. Just remember to wrap clean cloth around it so that you will not get burned.
- Lie down on the bed and just apply it on the area until the pain subsides.
- You may also choose to take a warm bath because this can also effectively reduce the amount of pain that you are feeling.
There are some people who are not too familiar with Papaya probably because it is not always readily available in some places but Papaya can help a lot because it contains enzymes that helps regulate the blood flow when women have their menstruation.
- Slice a papaya into a few pieces.
- You may choose to place in a bit of honey to make it taste better especially if you do not like the taste of papaya but it is naturally sweet.
- Eat the papaya generously before, during and after menstruation.
Ginger is known to be an herb or a spice that has this distinct taste. Aside from the fact that it has a lot of health benefits, it can also be effective for menstrual cramps. What it does is it lowers the levels of prostaglandins which is causing the pain that people are feeling. PMS can also be avoided if you take Ginger.
- Cut a small piece out of the big ginger.
- Grate the small piece of ginger and mix it in with water.
- Boil the water with the ginger for about 5 minutes.
- Strain the ginger tea and place honey to make it taste better.
- Drink this three times a day when you have your period.
Carrots are known to be good for the eyes. In fact, people who would like to keep their eye sight intake include carrots as a part of their diet. Most people are not aware that carrots can also be good for menstrual periods. It can aid women so that their menstrual flow will become more regular. As a result, cramps will be lessened.
- Slice a medium sized carrot into small pieces.
- Place in a blender until it becomes a smoothie.
- You can also choose to juice carrots by placing it in a juicer.
- Drink a tall glass of carrot juice everyday to get its many benefits.
There are a lot of people who are not aware that Basil is an herb that can be very effective to use when women have their period. The main reason why it is effective is because of the caffeic acid. The caffeic acid has pain killing properties that can effectively stop the pain.
- Add one tablespoon of basil leaves to one cup of boiling water.
- Allow the tea to cool down before drinking.
- This can be taken every time you feel some craps starting to come.
- If you are not too fond of drinking tea, you can include basil in some of the food that you eat.
- Aloe Vera
A lot of people are familiar with Aloe Vera but they usually think that it is something that can be used for the hair and not something that can be used to get rid of cramps. What it does is it makes the flow of menstruation more constant. This decreases the pressure found in the uterus and as a result, pain goes away.
- Cut an Aloe Vera leaf in half and place the Aloe Vera gel on the affected area.
- Another alternative is to get Aloe Vera that can be used to make juice.
- Add a bit of honey.
- Drink this twice a day.
There are some people who do not make use of fennel because this is not readily available in their countries but for those who do have fennel, this can be effective in combating menstruation. Fennel has antispasmodic and anti inflammatory properties that can help reduce the swelling brought about by menstrual cramps. This can stop the discomfort that you are feeling because of your period.
- Add a teaspoon of fennel seeds to a cup of water.
- Boil the cup of water mixed in with the fennel seeds.
- Simmer the mixture in low heat.
- Strain the tea once you have removed it from the heat.
- Add one teaspoon of honey to make it taste better.
- Drink about three days before you start your period and during your period.
A lot of people like cinnamon especially if it is going to be placed in pastries but there are some people who like cinnamon because of what it can do to women who have their period. Cinnamon has anti clotting and also anti inflammatory properties that can make women more comfortable even during their period. It is also a good thing that cinnamon comes with a lot of essential nutrients.
- Place one fourth cinnamon powder into a cup of hot water.
- Let it sit on the water for about 5 minutes before placing honey.
- Drink two to three cups a day about 2 days before your expected period starts.
- Chamomile Tea
There are different types of tea that you can drink when you are about to get your period but one of the recommended ones is chamomile tea. Aside from the fact that it has anti inflammatory and antispasmodic properties, it can bring obvious relief when you do not feel that much pain when you get your menstruation.
- Prepare a tea bag of chamomile tea and place it on the cup.
- Boil water for a few minutes. Once it is boiled, place it on the cup.
- Cover and let the tea steep for about 5 – 10 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and honey if you want.
- Drink this a week before you get your period. You may also drink it when you already have your period. The choice will be up to you.
While a lot of people know parsley as that herb that is placed on some food pieces for presentation purposes, parsley can be effective in getting rid of menstruation. The main reason for this is because it has apiol and myricistin. These two components will help make the menstrual flow to flow more naturally.
- Prepare a cup with hot water.
- Place parsley on the cup and wait for about 5 minutes.
- Strain the tea and drink after cooling a bit.
- Drink this tea twice a day.
These home remedies can be used to get rid of period cramps while you have your menstruation.