What does hernia look like?Hernia occurs when a part of your body when a part of your body is in between your muscle wall. This means that your body part may seem like a tube because it is trying to fit in a small hole. There are different types of hernia that you can experience but the most common one usually occurs between the chest area and the hips.
What Does Hernia Look Like?Symptoms to Watch Out
How will you know if you are suffering from hernia or you only have a pulled muscle? One thing you should remember: hernia normally does not hurt. You will just see the bulge on some part of your body when you make a certain movement but you will not even feel it. There are some people who have tried to press the bulge and the bulge falls back into place. Other symptoms to watch out for are the following:
- The bulge may become bigger.
- You sometimes feel that you are already full even though you know that you are not.
- You may sometimes feel a bit of pain but normally around the bulge and not directly on the bulge.
- The area becomes more painful when you do some lifting or other activities.
Kinds of Hernia
It is ideal that you familiarize yourself with the different kinds of hernia so you will have an idea what you have. It will also allow you to deal with your condition better.
- Inguinal Hernia – This is known as the most common kind of hernia. There are a lot of men who experience this but some women also get it when they are pregnant. This kind of hernia occurs when fat or intestine pushes in the lower abdominal area. There are some people who are born with it or it may develop because of your present body condition. You may become more prone to your condition when you are older because muscles tend to weaken over time.
- Femoral Hernia – This is the type of hernia that may occur at a different portion from the inguinal hernia. This is more common in women. This is considered to be a dangerous type of hernia because you may not notice that anything is amiss until the hole is already filled with the fat or the intestine that has filled up the hole in the first place. You will know if you have this kind of hernia if the lump will suddenly appear and it will be very tender.Experience severe tummy pain. You may feel a bit disoriented and dizzy. If you are going through the symptoms mentioned above, this is a medical emergency and you should go see a doctor immediately.
- Ventral Hernia – This is the kind of hernia that is usually situated in between the belly button and the chest area. This occurs when an intestine or a tissue may pop out of the walls of the abdomen. This is more common for people who are overweight, people who have chronic cough, those who are always required to lift heavy objects and those who may always throw up due to different conditions.
- Incisional Hernia – This is the kind of hernia that occurs in people who have had abdominal surgery. There are times when the tissue squeezes itself out of the wound before it totally heals. This can be treated through another surgery but it can be a bit complicated.
- Hiatal Hernia – This is the kind of hernia that occurs on the inside of your body. The stomach will go through your diaphragm and will reach your chest. When this occurs, you will experience heartburn and pain on your chest area. You may also have a sour taste in your mouth. If you are 50 years old and above, you are more prone to getting this type of hernia. If you do get this type of hernia, you will be recommended to make some changes in your current lifestyle. You will be asked to lessen your food intake as well.
Should You See A Doctor?
Some people are confused if hernia is dangerous or not. It may seem harmless in the beginning. You may even push back the bulge so that it will return to normal but most people who have hernia do not even realize that they have it unless they are already feeling pain. If you have a bulge that you cannot explain even when you are not feeling anything weird, you should go see your doctor. You do not want the pain to start before you seek treatment. You should remember that there are moments when hernia can be life-threatening.
Expect that there are some tests that you need to undergo to ensure that you have hernia. The most common tests are the following:
- CT (Computerized Tomography) – There are x-rays that are taken at various angles in order to see a particular area in a more intricate manner.
- MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) – This test requires the use of magnets in order to view your body.
- Ultrasound – This may be the most common type of test that will show if you have hernia or not.
Take note that most doctors will be able to tell if you have a hernia or not if you stand and the bulge starts to come out. He may also ask you to cough to see if a hernia is there.
If you did not see your doctor immediately and the hernia has gotten worse, you will start to feel excruciating pain that you cannot explain. This may occur when your intestine becomes trapped in between your stomach walls and the wastes are not going out the right way. These are some symptoms that will let you know that you need to go to the hospital immediately:
- See a bulge that is turning darker.
- You cannot pass gas.
- You cannot pass stools.
- Low-grade fever.
- The pain escalates from bad to worse in a matter of seconds.
- You cannot stop yourself from vomiting.
When is Hernia “Not-So-Serious?”
There is a common kind of hernia that occurs in children called an umbilical hernia. This type of hernia will go away on its own. If you are an adult and you have hernia, your doctor will check if your hernia is something that truly bothers you. Some people with small hernia do not need to undergo surgery anymore because it can be risky. You do have to check your hernia if it is getting bigger or if you are starting to experience some symptoms because of the hernia.
Surgery for Hernia
The most common type of treatment for hernia is surgery. A type of mesh material may be placed in order to support your abdominal wall better and prevent the onset of your organs pushing through the holes in your abdomen. Once again, this type of treatment is not recommended if your hernia is small and is not causing major issues with your body.
Some doctors may recommend the use of certain medications that will reduce the stomach acid that may be caused by hernia. This can help get rid of your symptoms and make you feel more comfortable.
There may be other treatments that are said to be helpful for hernia but there are not enough studies to show if they would truly work.
The prevention of this condition is always better than trying to cure it, especially because curing this condition can be a bit complicated and expensive. There are certain things that will make you more prone to getting this condition and there are also things you can do to prevent it from occurring. You can decrease your chances of developing hernia if you would do the following:
- If you are always coughing or if you are sneezing and it does not go away, you should let your doctor know about it so possible treatments will be recommended.
- Pay attention to your diet. The healthier your food choices are, the better it would be for you.
- Keep your weight within the normal range.
- Always use your knees instead of your back when lifting heavy objects from the floor.
It is important that you know how hernia looks like because this will allow you to distinguish if you have this condition or if you have pulled a muscle in your abdominal area. Your best option is still to go to the doctor immediately so that your condition can be checked. Your doctor will diagnose if it is hernia and what treatment you can do depending on the kind and severity of hernia you have.