Age spots, also known as liver spots, are flat brown or black spots on the skin as you age. As you get closer to 50 years old, your body produces less elastin, collagen, and more pigmentation, causing these spots to appear.
These small bumps are clusters of dark brown or black pigment-containing spots on the hands or face. Age spots usually appear on the hands, face, elbows, and knees, and they can be a source of embarrassment.
Symptoms of age spots include:
- Brown or black spots on hands, face, or other parts of the body;
- A feeling of itchy or irritated skin;
- A sense of tenderness or soreness under the skin where the spots appear.
Age spots on the skin surface are usually non-cancerous and do not pose a severe health risk. However, they can be unsightly and embarrassing. Fortunately, you can get rid of age spots by using a skincare routine or medical treatments. This article will discuss 10 natural ways to get rid of age spots on your face.
10 Natural Ways To Get Rid Of Age Spots On Your Face
One of the things that you will find in buttermilk is lactic acid, which is known to be effective in exfoliating the skin. This can be very operative in removing the brown spots from your skin without drying your skin entirely. Buttermilk can also work double duty in removing other skin blemishes you may have.
- Dip a cotton ball in the buttermilk and apply it to the brown spots on your skin.
- Leave the buttermilk on the brown areas of the skin for a few minutes
- Wash with water afterward.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar is known to be one of the home remedies for many skin problems and other health issues. This is known to be effective in getting rid of brown spots. You can make your brown spots dry faster and better.
- You need to add apple cider vinegar to an equal amount of water.
- Place the solution on the brown spots you can find on your skin.
- Wash off your skin about after 5 – 10 minutes.
- You need to do this every day until you see the brown spots start to lighten.
- You may use pure apple cider vinegar on your skin, but this might sting a bit.
Aloe Vera contains some healing properties that can help the skin rejuvenate. If you want to heal your skin because you have overexposed it to the sun, you know Aloe Vera’s use can be effective.
- You can take fresh Aloe Vera gel from the Aloe Vera leaf.
- Place the gel directly on the areas where there are brown spots.
- Leave the gel on the skin for about half an hour.
- Wash the same area with cold water.
- You need to do this about twice a day to start to see an improvement in a few weeks.
Sandalwood contains properties that can make the skin look younger. It also has antiseptic properties that can help heal the skin from various skin problems. Since this can solve the skin’s hyperpigmentation problems, it can eventually eliminate brown spots if applied to the affected areas.
- Mix sandalwood powder with rosewater and glycerin. If you are unsure where to purchase glycerin, you can buy them over the counter.
- Apply the pack that you have created over the areas of your skin that are affected by brown spots.
- Please wait for the pack to dry naturally and leave it on for about 30 minutes.
- This would need to be placed on the skin about a few times a week so that you can start seeing the full effect.
When it comes to lightening the appearance of age spots, pineapple can also be effective because it contains bromelain. This enzyme can act as a mild bleaching agent, which makes it helpful in getting rid of brown spots on the skin.
- You need to cut fresh pineapple and prepare a few chunks or slices.
- Rub the pineapple chunks or slices on the areas where the age spots are.
- This must be done at least once daily to make it effective.
Honey and Yogurt
If you are searching for some ingredients that can work well together as a bleaching agent, you do not need to look any further because honey and yogurt may be what you are searching for. Searching for plain and organic yogurt for the best results is best.
- Mix yogurt and honey.
- Apply the paste to the skin where the brown spots can be found.
- Wait for the paste to dry on your skin for about half an hour.
- Rinse the mixture on your face with warm water.
- This needs to be done once a day for a few months to get the best results.
Mention castor oil and people will tell you about its many uses and benefits. Castor oil can also be effective in getting rid of brown spots and age spots. This can be mixed with other essential oils to make it more effective, but it can also remove age spots from different body parts.
- Dip a cotton ball in castor oil.
- Spread the castor oil all over the area where the brown spots are.
- Gently massage the area for a few minutes.
- Leave the castor oil on the skin for about 3 – 4 hours.
- Wash it off with water.
- To get the best results, do this twice a day. Do it once in the morning when you wake up, and do it again before you sleep at night.
Many soaps and beauty products in some countries use papaya as their main ingredient. Papaya contains alpha-hydroxy acids and enzymes to exfoliate the skin and reduce the appearance of age spots.
At the same time, papaya can also be effective in getting rid of other skin blemishes like acne. Some people are allergic to papaya, so it is best to check if you are allergic before trying it out.
- It would help if you grated fresh and ripe papaya.
- Apply the grated papaya directly on the brown spots.
- Leave on the skin for about 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, remove the papaya from the skin by rinsing it with cold water.
- This needs to be done twice daily until you get your desired results.
You may only encounter onions when you want to add a bit of spice to your dish, but this time, onions can also be very effective in getting rid of your age spots. Onion juice is naturally acidic, making it ideal for bleaching parts of the skin with age spots.
- Slice a few onions.
- Rub the slices on the affected skin area about 3x a day.
- Continue doing this every day until you get your desired results.
Horseradish has been an answer to eliminate different skin blemishes for a long time. This can be active in getting rid of freckles and age spots that you may have on various parts of your body. Its lightening properties can make your skin spotless and flawless.
- Create a horseradish paste by grinding the horseradish.
- Apply the paste directly to the affected area of the skin.
- This must be left on the skin for about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Remove with warm water afterward.
- This needs to be done about 3 – 4 times every week to get the desired results.
Out of all the home remedies mentioned above, which one would you like to try first? Remember that the effect may vary from one person to another.
What is the best medicine for age spots?
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the best medicine for age spots will vary depending on the individual’s skin type and the severity of their condition. However, some potential treatments for age spots include topical creams and gels containing hydroquinone or retinoids, laser therapy, and chemical peels.
1. Chemical Peel
Chemical Peel works by using a certain type of acid to remove your skin’s first layer where the age spots are most evident. The newer and healthier skin will then replace the old skin, so you will notice that the age spots are noticeably lighter. It may take a few sessions before the age spots genuinely disappear.
Like what a chemical peel can do, this can also help remove the top layer of the skin, but instead of using acid, it uses a special derma brush. The treatment is said to be similar to sandpaper on the skin.
The two treatments mentioned above are the most common, but other treatments are still not as well known as some people undergo to get rid of their age spots. Some examples of medicines are the following:
3. Liquid Nitrogen
Liquid nitrogen effectively removes the age spots found on the skin by killing the pigments that cause them. As the skin heals, the age spots are also supposed to fade. There is a downside to this; however, some people who have undergone this treatment experienced scarring and even more discoloration.
It would depend on the professional applying the liquid nitrogen on the skin. If the person does not know what he is doing, it might ruin the skin even more.
This is known to be very effective and does not have many side effects, but it can be costly. The laser will destroy the pigments causing the age spots to appear.
If you decide to get this treatment, remember that it will not hurt your skin. The problem will be the price and the fact that you need several sessions before being happy with the results.
You can get rid of the age spots on your skin differently. You can make a little effort and try home remedies or spend a little more and undergo some professional treatments to make your age spots disappear faster. It will be your choice.
How to prevent age spots?
There are a few things you can do to help prevent age spots.
First, avoid prolonged sun exposure. If you must be in the sun, wear protective clothing and use sunscreen.
Second, don’t smoke. Smoking speeds up the aging process and can contribute to the development of age spots.
Third, eat a healthy diet. A diet rich in antioxidants can help protect your skin from damage.
Finally, use gentle skin care products. Harsh chemicals can irritate the skin and make age spots more likely to develop.