You may have heard the saying, “An apple a day keeps the doctor away.” This is because of the amount of pectin found in apples. Pectin is known as a type of fiber, a complex carbohydrate that is needed by our body.
Pectin is not solely found in apples, it can be found in other fruits and vegetables. In apples, pectin is usually found on the skin and its pulp. This explains why you should not always remove the skin of apples.
Now that you know what pectin is, you want to know what else it can do. Here are some of the benefits that you can receive with pectin:
Top 10 Health Benefits of Apple Pectin
1. Regulate the digestive system
There are a lot of benefits that apple pectin can give. Its high fiber content can help the digestive system remove toxins inside the body.
At the same time, it helps absorb the nutrients from food better so that the body is more nourished. It can also help the body cope with some problems.
- If you are suffering from diarrhea, this can be highly effective in firming your stools.
- Lessen the effects and symptoms of having Irritable Bowel Syndrome or IBS.
- Remove the inflammation that may be related to other digestive problems and diseases.
2. Prevent various diseases
Apple pectin can give the body a lot of soluble fiber needs; you can expect to be less prone to cardiovascular diseases. You can expect the following:
- You will have lower cholesterol levels.
- Your heart health will improve tremendously.
- The intestines will not take in too much cholesterol, so your body will not get fully affected by too much cholesterol.
3. Prevent the onset of cancer
Cancer is one of the deadliest diseases that people would not like to get right now. It has been said that the intake of pectin can help stop cancer growth.
- Pecancerpecifically blocks the possibility of cancer cells spreading in different body parts.
- It stops Galactin 3 to prevent cancer growth and makes the process slower.
- It has been said that pectin is most effective in fighting certain types of cancer. Thcancerpes are the following: prostate, lung, and colon cancer.
4. Give the adequate protection needed against Metabolic Syndrome
Many people are currently suffering from weight gain and various diseases connected to their weight gain.
Being obese can result in higher blood sugar and cholesterol levels, leading to heart disease and stroke. Regular intake of pectin can help promote effective weight loss.
- Make sure that aside from consuming enough pectin, a healthier lifestyle is also recommended.
- Try being more active, especially if you are usually in front of your computer for hours.
- Try to take the most natural way by eating apples with fruits and vegetables with high pectin content.
5. Improve intestinal health
Do you know that your intestines can play a huge role in your current health? The intestinal tract has good and bad bacteria, which can be a problem if there are more bad bacteria than good bacteria.
Remember that the good bacteria’s job is to absorb nutrients and, at the same time, keep the harmful bacteria away. If you want to improve your intestinal health, the best way to do this is by taking in the right amount of pectin daily.
6. Remove the toxins inside your body
Do you know why you sometimes feel sluggish and unable to continue with your tasks? It is because of the toxins that are in your system. You can take enough pectin daily to get rid of these toxins efficiently. It will improve your digestive system and get rid of more toxins faster.
7. It can help you when you are constipated
If you want to lessen your constipation problems, taking enough pectin can be highly useful for you. Pectin can work both ways.
It can loosen your stools when you suffer from constipation and make them firmer when you suffer from diarrhea. If you are constipated and have trouble passing your bowels, taking pectin is one of the best options.
- Remember that when you take apple pectin, you are also supposed to take fluids.
- If you are not sure if you are recommended to take pectin, you may ask your physician about it first to be sure.
- You also have to be extra careful when taking the right amount of pectin because taking too much can make the absorption of certain medications slower.
8. Apple Pectin is a good source of Vitamin C
Do you realize that you are deficient in certain types of vitamins? The body needs different vitamins to stay healthy, but people do not eat the right food products to supply them with the necessary nutrients.
If you suspect you lack Vitamin C, taking apple pectin can help solve this problem. Studies show that apple pectin contains 96% of the needed Vitamin C for the body.
9. Remove certain types of metals from the body
Some Chornobyl victims are in dire need of removing the radioactive waste that they have become exposed to. According to some studies, exposure to apple pectin mixed in with citrus has successfully allowed the removal of metals.
More people should be aware of this detoxification process, significantly if they would benefit from it.
10. Protect sores from getting infected
You may get sores on different body parts for various reasons. You may acquire sores because of certain medical conditions.
At times, the sores may have been inflicted on you, or you became clumsy and acquired some wounds in the place. Sores can get worse if they get infected. To avoid doing this, you can apply apple pectin to the damage. This is most effective in getting rid of mouth sores.
Some Side Effects to Expect
Taking apple pectin may be good for you, but there are some side effects that you may experience, such as the following:
- Stomach Gas – This can become uncomfortable if you have too much gas.
- Diarrhea – If you do not take the worst amount of pectin, it might worsen your current digestive condition.
There are also instances when people assume they must take apple pectin to cure their chronic digestive issues, but this is not always the case. If you have a condition you want to fix soon, you should consult your doctor first so you will be given proper advice on whether taking pectin will be helpful for your situation.
You cannot combine apple pectin if you are taking these medications:
- Antibiotics – the number of antibiotics the body will take in will be significantly lessened, and it might prove ineffective.
- Mevacor – The intake of pectin can also affect how effective Mevacor will be. If you are unfamiliar with this, Mevacor is what you take to lower your blood cholesterol.
- Digoxin – the body may not fully absorb or be absorbed by the bodInsteadis always advisable; instead, it is always advisable that f mixing different medications a few hours before taking the next one.
A tip to remember: For those working in factories with apple pectin, the effect of apple pectin dust is different from apple pectin itself. Those who are exposed to it may experience some discomfort. Some become exposed to apple pectin dust for a long time and develop asthma afterward. Do not let this happen to you by protecting yourself often.
Other Sources of Pectin
It is rare to find people who dislike eating apples. Some cannot take apples even if they want to because their bodies do not match up with some of the components of apples. If this is the case, there are other sources of pectin available such as the following:
- Acacia Fiber
Purchasing the Right Type of Pectin
Before searching for apple pectin, you have to know that there are different types of pectin available. The most common type is the one you can purchase to make jam. This is not your intention. You are searching for pectin that will give you medicinal benefits, so where are you supposed to buy the right type of pectin?
At this point, you may be curious about creating your pectin. This is okay if you are aware of the things that you should do, but if not, there is a chance that you will place the wrong amount of ingredients and make the whole process unsuccessful. When purchasing the correct type of pectin, you may do the following:
- Read reviews and recommendations about where people usually purchase their pectin.
- The more natural the pectin is, the better it will be.
- Check out different companies that offer apple pectin first. This is better than purchasing from the very first company that you see.
How To find the right pectin
- What is the pack of pectin that you are going to purchase? The amount you will buy highly depends on how much you need. Many stores offer small and large packs to accommodate your requirements.
- Will the pectin that you will purchase last for a long time? Some packed pectin is meant to be stored for a short time. You have to know how long you will keep the pectin to buy the right one for you.
- Where is the pectin placed? For your convenience, the pectin you purchase should be placed in individual sachets that you can easily use whenever you need to.
- Consider the process that the pectin goes through before being packed. To ensure the quality of the pectin you purchase, look for ones that go through a 6-step process. This will ensure that the pectin has high absorption properties, which can benefit you.
- Consider the taste of the pectin if you buy it in supplement form. Most pectin supplements do not taste good, but some come with great taste. You may research this or ask others taking apple pectin to give you additional recommendations.
With all of the things you have learned about apple pectin, do you think you are ready to search for the right one you will consume every day? Remember to consider quality when purchasing and flavor, too, if you will take it orally.