Can constipation cause back pain?You may be having back pain, but you are not sure what is possibly causing it. When it comes to back pain, there are many possible causes. Some are very simple like it may be caused by your poor posture or because of lifting heavy objects but there are also times when back pain may be brought about by a serious condition like cancer.
One of the main causes of back pain that not a lot of people are aware of is chronic constipation. Chronic constipation is the inability to pass stools usually. Your bowel movements may be less than normal. Some people who experience extreme constipation may sometimes pass stools only once a week.
Of course, bowel movements can differ from one person to another. Some even have bowel movement three times a day while others would only go once a day. It can be hard for those who are constipated to go about with their every day lives especially if they always feel bloated. Are you not sure if you are truly constipated? Here are some signs that you have to look for:
- Few and Irregular Bowel Movements
- Hard and Small Stools
- Feeling That You Need to Pass More Stools
When you regularly strain just to let your stools pass, you are straining your back in the process, and this can cause your back to feel painful especially if you unknowingly do this often. When you are trying to pass stools, you will be in a bent position. This will increase the pressure on your intervertebral discs. When this happens, some of your nerves are pinched, and this causes the pain that you are feeling.
If you are not regularly constipated but you suddenly experience constipation, this might be because of something that you have changed with your lifestyle. A change of diet can also cause constipation especially if it is sudden.
Common Causes of Constipation
- Antacid medications – This is what you have to take when you are feeling acidic. Usually, antacids can cause constipation when calcium or aluminum is part of the ingredients.
- Consuming too much dairy – Some people are lactose intolerant and would have diarrhea when consuming too much dairy, but if you can tolerate lactose and consume too much dairy, constipation is possible.
- Eating disorders – Well known eating disorders such as anorexia and bulimia are known to cause constipation.
- Diet – Take a look at the food that you normally eat. What do you usually consume? Do you eat a lot of junk food? Perhaps you do not like drinking water that much. Including more water and fiber in your diet will help improve your bowel movement.
- Lack of Exercise – If you do not move around that much, it will be harder for your body to digest the food that you have eaten. This means that you will not have any stools to release from your body.
- Stress – Do you realize that when you are stressed out, you either develop diarrhea or become constipated? You can always try to get rid of stress by breathing in and out and relaxing.
More Serious Causes of Constipation
Some conditions can cause constipation that can eventually lead to back pain. Some of these conditions include the following:
- Colon Cancer
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Hypothyroidism (Underactive thyroid)
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Multiple Sclerosis
If you believe that there is no reason for you to become constipated, it is best to go to your doctor about it so that you can undergo some tests that will help find the underlying reason for your constipation.
Even before you will be tested for different diseases, your doctor has to know if you are truly suffering from chronic constipation. There may be some tests that you have to undergo. For example, you would need to undergo blood tests to check your current hormone levels. Your colon will also be checked if you have some blockages that are preventing your stools from passing through. If in case your test results come back and you are positively suffering from chronic constipation, you can do some remedies to help ease your condition and in the long run, also get rid of your back pain.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Back Pain
If you want to try the natural way to get rid of back pain, you may do this by using some of the items that you can typically find in your own home:
- Fiber – You may need to include food products that contain a lot of fiber such as raw fruits and even nuts. Instead of snacking on chips, you may choose to snack on a handful of unsalted almonds instead. This will be good for you and will good for your bowels as well.
- Water – You may not realize this, but water can do a lot for you. If you have never liked drinking water, its benefits will cause you to drink it more often than usual. Aside from its ability to clear your skin, it can also help you pass stools faster than before. Remember that if you want it to be more efficient, drink your water warm in the morning. It will make a huge difference.
- Prunes – Do you know that prunes can be very useful in getting rid of the discomfort brought about by constipation? If you have never liked eating prunes, taking in prune juice can be a good alternative too.
- Yogurt – Yogurt contains a lot of probiotics that can help fight bad bacteria stuck in your gut that may be preventing the passing of stools. At the same time, this can help get rid of imbalances too. Consuming plain yogurt is the best. If you want it to taste better, feel free to add some fresh fruits.
- Olive Oil and Lemon Juice – You may think that you should avoid oil because it will worsen your condition but this can only happen if you are having diarrhea. Since you are constipated, you need something that will help you pass stools easily. A teaspoon of olive oil mixed in with a bit of lemon juice can do the trick. Remember that this is best taken in the morning while your stomach is still empty.
- Coffee – If you are a regular coffee drinker, taking coffee in the morning is already essential for you. You need the caffeine to get moving and to do the tasks that you have to accomplish throughout the day. This can also stimulate your bowels to get rid of your discomfort. Just remember not to overdo drinking coffee. People are recommended to limit their coffee intake to 1 – 2 cups every day.
- Aloe Vera – Do you find it weird that Aloe Vera will be one of the things that can be used to get rid of constipation? You should know that this is not only used for the skin and hair. This can help soothe your stomach and promote regular bowel movement. If you are taking in pure Aloe Vera gel, remember to limit your intake to one spoonful. If you are drinking Aloe Vera juice, you can consume more.
- Baking Soda – When it comes to home remedies, baking soda is something that can be used for a wide variety of things. Aside from being used to clean your home, you can also use it to stimulate your bowel movement.
Other Treatments for Constipation
If you think that home remedies are not working for you even if you have tried several then you should not worry because there are still other treatments for constipation that you can try:
- Acupuncture – This is an old practice that has been done for a long time. This can be used to treat various conditions and constipation is just one of them. It is ideal to search for a good acupuncturist who knows the right pressure points that will allow you to pass stools easily.
- Laxatives – some laxatives will be recommended to be taken from time to time, but these laxatives are not meant to be used long term. In time, the body will become immune to laxatives, and stronger dosages will be needed each time. Ask your doctor about how you can use it appropriately so that it will not cause problems for you in the long run.
- Prescription Drugs – There are some medications that you can take that will help people easily pass stools. These are known to work when nothing, even laxatives are working.
Of course, there is also a possibility that your constipation is just one of the symptoms that you are experiencing because of a more severe condition. It is truly best to have a medical professional check you to see what the problem truly is. If it just constipation though, you will notice that once you have started passing stools more freely, your back pain will also begin to go away.