Are you familiar with what cumin is? The cumin that is used for dishes comes from cumin seed. The seed is brown in color and is shaped like an oblong. Some people tend to get confused with cumin and caraway, but you can tell the difference from the color. In addition, cumin is usually lighter than caraway.
During ancient times, cumin has been used in other ways that are different from cooking. Three types of cumin can be purchased, including Amber Cumin, Black Cumin, and White Cumin. Out of the three, black cumin is considered to be highly unique. If you want to make recipes using black cumin, you cannot substitute it with the other types.
Cumin comes from the Mediterranean region, but it is now being exported to different parts of the globe. Some people would rather get it in its oil form, but this depends on how it will be used. This article discusses the 12 amazing health benefits and uses of cumin seeds.
12 Amazing Health Benefits and Uses of Cumin Seeds
Here are some of the benefits that you can expect to get when you consume cumin:
1.It can be helpful for your digestion
If you are having problems with your digestion, you can get rid of those issues with cumin. The aroma of cumin can aid in the digestion process as it can help the mouth produce more saliva. In turn, this can help make the digestion process faster than usual.
At the same time, other glands are stimulated to produce acids and bile that can improve digestion. If you would like to use cumin to get rid of stomach ache, you can do the following:
- You can mix cumin oil or cumin powder with hot water.
- Make sure that you will mix it properly.
- Drink the hot water and wait for it to take effect.
- You may take this whenever you are experiencing some stomach pain.
2.It can help get rid of boils
Having boils can be very embarrassing, especially if they appear in a portion of your body that clothes cannot hide. Boils usually appear because of toxic substances found in the environment mixed with other foreign substances in your body.
You can always mix cumin with some of your food so you will avoid getting boils, but if in case you already have boils or other skin conditions, this is what you can do:
- Grind cumin seeds until they are already in powder form.
- Place vinegar and mix the two until you form a paste.
- Apply the paste on the affected portion of the skin.
- You may do this 2 – 3 times a day until the boil or the skin condition you are trying to get rid of disappears.
3.It can help you break free from insomnia
One of the reasons you may be feeling tired in the morning and unable to work throughout the day is your insomnia.
Insomnia may be caused by not having enough vitamins in your system and being stressed out about the situations you are going through. Cumin is known to have both stimulant and relaxant properties. These properties can help you get a sound sleep.
- You can take a few drops of cumin essential oil and mix it with another carrier oil like coconut oil or olive oil.
- Massage on your temples and some of your pressure points.
- It can help relax you and decrease your stress levels so that you can sleep better.
4. It can help you age slower
Everybody is going to age, and this is something that everyone must accept, but if people can stay youthful for longer periods of time, this can be done.
Cumin contains Vitamin E that can cause slower triggers in the body that may cause aging. Vitamin E can act as an antioxidant, so it will help eliminate toxins and other free radicals that may cause some bad effects on the skin.
If you would like to decrease the chances of suffering from wrinkles and age spots, you can add cumin to some of your dishes. This can already make a huge difference.
5.It can help get rid of burning sensations
There are times when you may suffer from burning sensations on the soles of your feet, your lower back, and soles which may be due to nerve damage. Cumin has properties that can help get rid of the discomfort that you may be feeling. You can do the following:
- Add some ground cumin seeds to boiling water.
- Remove the boiling water from the heat source and let it cool down. Do not remove the cover.
- You can drink the water mixed with cumin seeds whenever you feel the urge to drink.
- You are recommended to drink it after eating your meals.
- While you may be tempted to drink it cool to improve its flavor, you are recommended to drink it warm so that you can reap its full effects.
6.It can help you have healthy, even, and glowing skin
Who does not want to have healthy-looking skin? One of the reasons why many women still look beautiful even without makeup is because they take good care of their skin.
Good skincare may consist of hydrating all the time and using certain skin products to improve the skin condition, but cumin can be effective in getting rid of the toxins found in the skin that can cause the skin to look dull and dry. You can make a cumin based face mask to improve your skin’s condition:
- Mix cumin powder and turmeric powder together.
- Place honey to make the mask stickier.
- After mixing properly, apply it on your face, similar to how you place your skin products.
- Wait for the mixture to dry before rinsing.
- You can do this 2x a week to get maximum effects.
7. It can help combat falling hair
There are a lot of men and women who are having a hard time with their thinning hair. If you are also having this issue, you would like to combat it with natural remedies.
The best remedy that you can use here is black cumin seeds, as they contain properties that can combat the reasons for hair fall.
- You can make use of ground cumin seeds or black cumin oil, depending on which is available.
- Mix the powder or the oil with olive oil and mix well.
- Apply the mixture on the portion of your hair where you think hair is falling off.
You can do this once a day to get the full benefits. If you do not want to make mixtures, there are some black cumin supplements that you can purchase from health food stores that you can take orally. Aside from falling hair, the use of cumin can also be used for the following:
- Promoting healthier looking hair
- Thickening hair
8.It can help get rid of certain respiratory disorders
Cumin contains caffeine and other oils that can help disinfect the body from certain bacteria and viruses that may cause respiratory disorders.
If you have asthma or suffer from other conditions that cause you to cough up phlegm, you can use cumin oil as an expectorant.
When you use cumin oil, you will be able to cough up the mucus until such time that you have removed from your body the main cause for your respiratory disorder.
9. It can help combat signs of anemia
Anemia is when the body is not producing enough red blood cells to supply the whole body. Those who have this condition normally feel weak because they are not getting enough oxygen throughout their body.
By taking in cumin, you will be making the production of red blood cells more active until you achieve the normal level of red blood cells in your blood.
10.It can be effective in the prevention of certain types of cancer
Aside from the fact that cancer is a deadly disease, it can affect anyone can be unnerving. As long as you focus on your diet, you can expect to have a lesser chance of acquiring this dreaded disease.
Regular intake of cumin is known to treat certain types of cancer, namely colon and breast cancer. This may be due to the anti-carcinogenic agents found in cumin.
11.It can be effective in getting rid of itch in different parts of your body
There may be times when you are suffering from itchiness because of an allergy or exposure to certain properties that your body considers ‘foreign.’ You can use cumin powder or cumin oil to get rid of the itch.
- Mix cumin powder in your bathwater.
- Soak for about 10 – 15 minutes. You will usually start to feel the itch go away.
- Rinse with normal water as usual.
The remedy mentioned above can also be used if you are suffering from body heat.
12. It can help raise your immunity
One of the reasons why you normally get sick is because your immune system is weak. If you would like to strengthen it, you may do it with the use of cumin.
Cumin contains Vitamins A and C, which can help boost the immune system. Free radicals will be eradicated from your body properly to not lead to certain diseases that will be harder to fight off.