Ear infections are a common condition that many people have experienced. This condition is generally caused by a bacterial infection caused by water or damage to the ear. This can lead to inflammation, increased earwax, and even hearing loss in severe cases. Antibiotics are a common method to treat ear infections, but they can also have some side effects such as reduced immunity. This article shows you 10 natural home remedies for ear infections.
Common Causes of Ear Infection
First, it is important to understand the possible causes of ear infections. The following are possible causes of ear infections:
- Water in the ears-this is the most common cause of ear infections. When you are swimming or bathing, water can easily enter the ears and be blocked by earwax. There are a lot of bacteria in the water, if it is not eliminated in time, it will cause ear infections.
- Viruses-Certain types of viruses can cause ear infections. Because these viruses can also cause influenza and other respiratory diseases. Apart from ear infections, you may suffer from other symptoms such as coughing and vomiting.
- Bacteria-As mentioned earlier, certain types of bacteria such as streptococcal pneumonia can cause ear infections.
Top 10 Natural Home Remedies for Ear Infection
A lot of people are not aware that hydrogen peroxide can be used beyond cleaning some wounds and cuts. In the case of ear infection, Hydrogen Peroxide can also be used in order to clean the ears and eventually get rid of the ear infection.
- Place a few drops of Hydrogen Peroxide on the ear.
- Wait for the Hydrogen Peroxide to get in contact with the infection.
- Do this about twice a day.
2. Try Warm compress
A warm compress can help in relieving the symptoms that are brought about by an ear infection. More often than not, people feel uncomfortable because their ear infection is causing pain or is making them hear less than they should. Applying a warm compress to the affected ear can change this.
- Prepare a warm compress to be placed on the ear. Do remember not to make the water too hot since this will be bad for the skin.
- Apply the warm compress near the ear for about 10 minutes or till the compress is not too warm anymore.
- Do this several times a day for relief from ear infection symptoms.
3. Use Salt
One of the best things about salt is that it is always available. Whenever people need it, they can be sure that they have it. This can be one of the things that can be used as an effective home remedy. Heat mixed in with salt will make sure that the fluid will get out from the ear.
- Heat a cup of salt on a microwave or pan for about 3 minutes.
- Put the salt on a sock or a thick cloth. Make sure that it will be secured with a rubber band or another cloth.
- Cool it down a bit until it is just warm.
- Place on the ear for as long as possible.
- Repeat doing this as often as you can every day.
4. Try Garlic
One of the main reasons why garlic is considered to be an effective home remedy against ear infection is probably because of its natural pain-relieving qualities. There are different ways by which garlic can be used as an effective home remedy.
- Cook garlic on healthy cooking oil like sesame oil.
- Strain the solution when it turns into a blackish color.
- Wait for the solution to become warm.
- Place a few drops of garlic oil on the ear.
5.Apple Cider Vinegar
No natural home remedies list will be complete without making use of apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar can get rid of the fungus that might be causing the ear infection inside the ear.
- Mix one part of apple cider vinegar with an equal amount of water.
- Place the solution on a clean container.
- Using a cotton ball, soak up some of the mixtures.
- Put the cotton ball on the ear and leave it for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the cotton ball and lay it down opposite to the ear where the soak cotton ball was placed.
If the ear infection is only minor then basil can be used as a good home remedy against ear infection. Aside from the fact that it can help relieve pain brought about by the infection, it can also reduce the infection of the ear.
- Crush 5 basil leaves and get the juice.
- Apply the basil juice around the ear but do not place it directly on the ear canal.
- Do this about twice a day.
A lot of people usually become confused with why oil can be used as a home remedy for ear infections. Not any type of oil can be used. Olive oil can be very effective in getting rid of an ear infection because it can help break down the obstruction that might be causing the infection.
- Warm olive oil until it is bearable.
- Put a few drops of warm olive oil on the ear.
- Remove the infected wax with a clean cotton swab.
Like garlic, onion is another spice that is well-loved for its taste but it also has a lot of properties that can make it effective in getting rid of ear infection.
- Finely chop a small onion and heat it for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Allow the onion to cool and get the juice.
- Put three drops of the onion juice on the infected ear.
- Drain out the juice from the ear after 10 minutes.
9.Mullein Flower Oil
This type of oil can help reduce the pain and discomfort that people are feeling when they have an ear infection. This is typically recommended for adults rather than children.
- Heat the Mullein flower oil.
- Make sure that it is not too hot.
- Dip the cotton ball on the oil and placed it on the ear.
10.Tea Tree Oil
One of the reasons why tea tree oil can be used as an effective home remedy is because it has antibacterial properties that will help relieve pain and discomfort brought about by the ear infection.
- Mix about three drops of tea tree oil with two drops of olive oil and apple cider vinegar.
- Warm the solution for about a few minutes.
- Using a dropper, place the solution on the infected ear. Position yourself in such a way that the mixture will not fall from the ear. Wait for about 5 minutes.
- Drain the ear by positioning yourself the opposite way.
- Do this about 3 times a day.
The above-mentioned things are some best home remedies that you can try in order to get rid of your ear infection fast naturally.