Most people have suffered a hangover at some point in their lives. While they were drinking, they had fun and they felt good, but the next day they will feel nauseous and a severe headache.
A hangover is a symptom that occurs after excessive drinking. According to scientists, this will occur after consuming a dose of more than 1.5 grams of alcohol per kilogram. The hangover may last for up to 24 hours.
Alcohol is a diuretic that allows your cells to lose moisture faster than normal. As a result, it dehydrates the cells in the body, which requires more water to get rid of thirst. This condition of dehydration in your body cells due to alcohol consumption can also lead to headaches, fatigue, stomach upset, and nausea.
How to Get Rid of a Hangover Symptoms with Natural Solutions
Too much coffee and alcohol will cause heartburn-like the stomach is on fire. To calm the heartburn, you can drink a large cup of licorice tea. Licorice roots can help digest better and relieve stomach pain.
Add 50 g of licorice roots into 1 liter of cold water and boil for 15 minutes. Filter and drink this tea. This solution will be effective in 1 hour. You can also drink a glass of water mixed flour or cornstarch. This can help calm the heartburn.
2.A sore throat
Loud noise, heavy smoking, a lot of drinking can easily lead to throat pain and hoarseness. You can relieve a sore throat with lavender herbal tea. This infusion can also be used to eliminate mild migraines and insomnia.
Apply 5 g of lavender flowers into 1 liter of boiling water. Let it steep for 10 minutes before filtering and drinking. You can also take a spoonful of powdered sugar soaked in lemon juice to get rid of a sore throat quickly.
Too much alcohol can cause a sleepless night with severe headaches. Peppermint can help calm the digestive disorders and relieve migraines.
Apply 1 drop of peppermint essential oil on the forehead and temples. Gently massage with your fingers in the circular. Avoid contact with your eyes and too much essential oil which can burn the skin. This solution can be effective in 15 minutes.
This is due to too much fat, too sweet food, too much alcohol does not mix well in your stomach. Ginger is an effective way to relieve nausea. Ginger root contains gingerols which can block the receptors responsible for nausea in the brain.
Bake a spoonful of dried ginger for 10 minutes and put it in a cup of boiling water. Drink the herbal tea after filtering. This solution will be effective in 30 minutes.
Too much alcohol can also lead to dizzy and hurt the liver. Lemon is the champion of the detox. It can help cleanse the toxins accumulated in your liver. Moreover, it can purify the digestive system and relieve vomiting and headaches.
Squeeze a lemon and swallow the juice on an empty stomach. Or, you can cut it into pieces. Then add its skin into 1 half liter of water and boil for 10 minutes before drinking. This solution will be effective in 1 hour.
You can also mix 1 drop of peppermint,1 drop of basil essential oil,2 drops of lemon essential oil and 10 ml of sweet almond oil. Then apply it to your chest during nausea. This remedy is very effective for reducing nausea.
How to Prevent a Hangover
You know that you cannot do anything about your hangover anymore but wait it out but if you can prevent having a hangover, you do not have to worry about this at all. How to prevent a hangover anyway?
1. Be well rested before you start drinking alcohol
Do you know why alcoholics normally find it harder to recover when they are drinking alcohol? It is because they do not give their bodies enough time to sleep. When you do not sleep well, you will feel more tired about the things that you have to do. There is also a big chance that you are going to be more irritable than usual.
After you drink a large amount of alcohol, make sure that you get enough sleep so that your body will be able to recover from the hangover.
2. Take grease before you start drinking
There may not be enough scientific proof in order to prove this but according to some studies, you can take greasy food before you start drinking so that your gut will not absorb the alcoholic beverages that you drink immediately.
It is best that you eat some burgers, pizzas or other fatty food products. If in case you do not have access to these foods before you start drinking, you can also take a teaspoon of olive oil.
Once again, there is not enough proof that this works but you can always try to see if it would prevent a hangover the day after.
3.Drink in moderation
Actually, if you can avoid drinking, then do not do it because you can be sure that you will not get a hangover at all. There are moments though when you cannot avoid it. It may be because you are drinking with friends and you do not want to be the only one who is not drinking.
You need to know the amount of alcohol that you can drink as an individual before you reach your breaking point. Some people only need 1 to 2 drinks and it will be enough to give them a hangover. Others can drink all they want and not feel a thing.
Drinking in moderation is actually a hard thing to do especially for people who generally like drinking.
4.Drink a lot of water while you are drinking
If you would like to prevent getting a hangover, you need to expel the alcohol as fast as you can from your body. You can do this by drinking plenty of water while you are drinking. For every glass of the alcoholic beverage that you drink, you should take a glass of water as well. This will allow you to pass urine faster. You may even realize that you do not get drunk as easily as before.
You will know if you are starting to become dehydrated because of alcohol when you are starting to feel the following including dry mouth, fatigue, headache, and thirst.
5. Take anything sweet while you are drinking
There are different reports regarding this “preventive method.” Some say that you should not drink anything sweet because you are going to feel the effect of the alcohol faster while some say that taking sugar while you are drinking will be effective because you can metabolize and get rid of the alcohol in your blood faster.
The key here is to eat something sweet while you are drinking and not before you start drinking. The foods that you should eat before drinking should be greasy, right?
You can drink juice in between taking various alcoholic beverages. It will also help if you stick with just one type of alcoholic beverage while you are drinking. For example, if you are drinking beer, you need to stick with drinking just beer all throughout the night.
6. Take Prickly Pear
Some people said this may be one of the best things that they can do so that they will not experience a hangover. You need to take 1600 IU of this extract at least 5 hours before you start drinking.
You will effectively lessen the chances of getting a hangover by at least half. Even if you do not believe that this is effective, there is no harm in trying.
To fight the hangover, here are some practical tips:
- If you plan to attend a party, try to eat low-fat and low-salt foods before joining.
- If your stomach can withstand them，drink one or two large glasses of water before going to bed.
- Avoid products containing bubbles such as champagnes, sparkling wine, and soft drinks. Bubbles of carbon dioxide will accelerate the effects of alcohol.
- A banana covered with honey, a boiled egg, crackers, will promote the elimination of toxic substances.
- Try to avoid eating foie gras, potato chips, and pretzels throughout the party.
- Drinking plenty of water can help you get rid of the effects of dehydration. In addition, you can also drink some drinks such as apple juice and cucumber juice.
- Consuming 1000 mg of vitamin C before drinking can accelerate the elimination of alcohol. In addition, drinking honey and alcohol at the same time can reduce their effects and accelerate their elimination.
- Avoid fatty foods that will harm your digestive system. You can try chicken noodle soup that will provide you with salt and liquid. This can help eliminate alcohol.
- Tomato and vegetable juices, as well as light exercise, will also have a beneficial effect on your condition.
- Drink herbal tea such as chamomile, mint, ginger will help reduce nausea.
- Avoid caffeine, orange juice, acidic drinks, colored soft drinks, chocolate and foods high in fat or acids.
- Avoid taking a prescription medication for a migraine or sleeping pills. Although Aspirin or Acetaminophen can relieve your headache, these acidifying products could, in turn, worsen your already busy liver. And, if you consume antidepressants, you should avoid alcohol.
- Avoid mixing various kinds of alcohol, which will worsen the symptoms of a hangover.
- Exercise is good for your overall feeling because you can sweat out the excess alcohol that is causing your hangover.
- Finally, don’t drive after drinking. Accidents caused by drunk will be much more serious than headaches and vomiting after drunkenness!