Do you suffer from a dry, itchy scalp? Our scalp contains sebaceous glands that can produce oil to keep the scalp hydrated. Some factors can affect oil production; this will lead to a dry scalp. The main reasons are cold weather, eczema, not drinking enough water, anxiety, poor hair care, fungus, or psoriasis.
A dry scalp can cause scaly, itchy, and frizzy hair. Especially in winter, cold weather can dry the scalp, so you should moisture your scalp frequently. If you do not treat the dry scalp in time, it may lead to hair loss.
Dandruff and dry scalp can cause itching, resulting in flakes or plaques on the scalp. So, we tend to confuse these two questions; you must first understand the difference between dry scalp and dandruff before solving these problems.
Dandruff vs Dry scalp
Dandruff tends to accumulate on the scalp in visible white or light yellow plaque. Dandruff is a harmless, chronic condition. Unlike scalp drying, dandruff is caused by the rapid growth of sebum and skin cells. Stress, illness, hormonal imbalance, or rare shampoo are the leading causes.
Did you notice the small white piece left on your hair or clothes, which is a shedding of the dead scalp, often caused by a lack of sebum secreted by the sebaceous glands under the scalp?
Psoriasis is an inflammatory disease of the skin, a chronic non-communicable disease. It is characterized by chunks of white, yellow skin, and white scales. If you have psoriasis, you should consult your dermatologist. Through treatment, the disease can be well controlled.
You may be interested to know how to get rid of dry scalp. Here are ten easy home remedies.
10 Easy Home Remedies to Get Rid of Dry Scalp
You may be surprised that lemon juice can be used for your scalp. This has antiseptic properties, so you can be sure that it can help get rid of your dry and itchy scalp.
- You would need to use one whole lemon. Squeeze the lemon to get the juice.
- Apply the lemon to your hair and scalp.
- Leave on the hair for about 5 minutes.
- Proceed with shampooing your hair afterward.
Coconut oil can improve blood circulation to hair follicles and the scalp. It has anti-bacterial and antifungal properties, which can help get rid of dandruff and dry scalp soon. In addition, it can provide essential nutrients and locks moisture in the hair.
- Heat enough quantities of coconut oil.
- Apply the oil to the scalp with your fingers or cotton ball.
- Gently massage in circular motions for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Leave it on the scalp for at least 1 hour to a night.
- Rinse with a gentle shampoo for effective results.
- Repeat this treatment 2-3 times a week.
You can also try other vegetable oil, such as castor oil to moisturize your scalp and stimulate hair growth.
There is a big chance you would want to make sure that you will have an effective moisturizer for your hair and scalp. If you would like something natural, this is the right one for you to use.
- You would need to heat some olive oil beforehand.
- Once it is warm enough, you should place some olive oil on your scalp.
- Massage the olive oil and wrap a towel on your head.
- Shampoo and condition your hair usually.
If you would like to relieve your itchy scalp at the soonest possible time, you know that the use of baking soda can be highly beneficial for you. Baking soda can help exfoliate dead skin and other impurities from the scalp. This can be highly useful if you have fungi. This can help get rid of the fungi on your scalp.
- You would need to mix baking soda with water.
- The paste that you have created can then be placed on your scalp.
- Remember to massage the paste a bit on your scalp.
- Leave it on the hair for about 15 minutes.
- Rinse with water.
Aloe Vera is a natural and soothing emollient that can help soften the hair and nourish the roots. At the same time, this can also help calm the itching.
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
- Spread the aloe vera gel on your scalp.
- Leave the Aloe Vera gel for about 15 minutes.
- Shampoo your hair and rinse again.
Apple Cider Vinegar
It will be rare that you will see some home remedies wherein apple cider vinegar is not included. This time, apple cider vinegar can be beneficial since it has anti-inflammatory properties that can help stop your itching and kill bacteria on your scalp. Make sure to dilute it sufficiently with water to avoid too much acidity and tingling.
- Mix 1/4 cider vinegar with 3/4 water in a small pot.
- Pour into your vaporizer and saturate your hair.
- Cover with a plastic cap and let it on for 20-30 minutes.
- Rinse your hair and scalp with water and a mild shampoo.
- Allow your hair to dry.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is highly effective in getting rid of the fungus on your scalp. It has antiseptic, antibacterial, antiviral qualities, which can help kill bacteria that cause dry scalp and remove the itching of the scalp. You can use it with coconut oil to enhance the effect.
- Add six drops of tea tree oil to your shampoo or conditioner.
- You can also add some other essential oils to your shampoo.
- Apply it to your hair and leave it on for about 30 minutes.
- This would have to be done twice a week.
You can also try other essential oils like neem oil, peppermint oil, argan oil, rosemary oil, eucalyptus oil, jojoba oil, which can neutralize sebum production and stop the itching. You can apply the oil directly to the scalp without heating them.
- Mix 2 – 3 drops of neem oil,1 – 2 drops of rosemary oil, 4 – 5 drops of tea tree oil, 2 to 3 drops of lavender oil, and one teaspoon of carrier oil.
- Apply the mix to the scalp and massage.
- Leave it for 2-3 hours and rinse with a mild shampoo.
- Repeat the process two times a week.
Note that children and pregnant women should not use essential oils. Before using, you’d better dilute them.
Bananas can be very effective in getting rid of your dry and itchy scalp. Aside from treating your hair, you can also be sure that it will help your scalp so that it will become healthier. You know that you can reduce your flakes and inflammation this way.
- Mash the bananas to have a great paste that you can place on your scalp.
- Apply the mixture to your scalp. You would have to massage your hair.
- Allow it to sit on your hair for half an hour, then rinse thoroughly.
Many people are not sure if Fenugreek Seed can be considered an herb, and it is an herb. It has antifungal properties which can help clean your scalp. It can help control dandruff as well.
- You would need to soak the fenugreek seeds in water overnight.
- In the morning, the fenugreek seeds would be ground to become similar to a paste.
- You may place it on your scalp and massage it for a few minutes.
- Rinse this out from your hair and shampoo it afterward.
Sesame Seed Oil
Sesame seed oil can help nourish the skin of the scalp. This will also help relieve the itchiness that you are feeling.
- Make sure that you will use heated sesame oil.
- You need to massage the sesame oil on your scalp.
- You can do this before you sleep at night to get the maximum results.
- Shampoo and condition your hair in the morning.
How to Prevent Dry Scalp
- Avoid using boiling water to rinse your hair. Hot water will damage the natural protective oils in your hair and irritate your scalp. If you often wash your hair with hot water, you tend to have a dry scalp.
- Using a mild shampoo is very helpful for your hair’s natural oils, which help keep the follicles hydrated and your scalp without itching. You can choose a shampoo with tea tree extract and sunflower oil to provide nutrients to your scalp.
- Avoid styling products that can dry your scalps, such as mousse and hairspray. They may worsen your dry scalp and damage the hair.
- Do not stay in an air conditioner for a long time, as this can cause moisture loss in the scalp.
- Avoid leaving the shampoo or conditioner in the hair for a long time. This will hurt your hair.
- Do not use a hairdryer to dry your hair, as excessive heat from a hairdryer can damage the production of natural oils on the scalp.
- Eat more foods rich in protein, such as leafy greens, fruits, eggs, and whole grains.
- Drink plenty of water; this can help keep the scalp hydrated. Avoid caffeine and alcohol.
- Eat foods rich in Omega-3s, which can moisturize the scalp, including salmon, nuts, flax seeds, spinach, etc.
- Eat more rich foods in vitamin E like almonds, sunflower seeds, blueberries, tomatoes, etc.
- Avoid too much stress, which can also cause a dry scalp. You can relieve stress with yoga.