Earwax is one of body fluids that is commonly invisible and always forgotten until you place the tip of ear buds inside your ears.The glands naturally produce earwax in the ear canal. Ear wax play a important role in our ear health.
- Prevent bacteria, germs and dust from entering the inner part of the ears.
- Slow down the growth of bacteria in the ear canal.
- Decrease the risk of infection, irritation or damage to the inner ear.
- Protect the ears from irritation due to water such as when swimming.
- It also acts as the ears’ lubricant.
- Ears are designed to clean its own by pushing out the earwax from the canal.
Earwax is actually beneficial as it protects the ears, so why do you have to remove it? Because too much earwax will cause buildup or blockage in the ear canal.This buildup can cause annoyance, itching, discomfort, fullness feeling, partial hearing loss and dizziness.
It can also cause irritation when there is an obstruction or impaction because of its accumulation in the deeper part of the ear canal. Some other signs of excessive earwax are noises in the ear and earache.
What Cause too Much Earwax?
- What Cause too Much Earwax?
- Should You Consider Ear Candling?
- Should You Use Cotton Swabs to Clean Your Ears?
- 10 Easy Home Remedies to Get Rid of Earwax Fast
- Using pointed objects such as hair pins to clean the outside part of the ear as the wax can also get pushed further inside. It is also dangerous as sharp objects may accidentally damage the eardrum!
- Placing other long and narrow objects inside the ear
- Using headsets and earplugs often
- Infection of the skin, bones or cartilage
- Trauma within the ear canal
- Deficiency of some vitamins and minerals
- Some disease of the bones, skin, connective tissue
If you feel that you are currently suffering from earwax blockage, you should not worry because there are a lot of remedies that you can do to get rid of earwax fast.
Should You Consider Ear Candling?
Some people say ear candling is very useful, but for those who have experienced bad effects because of ear candling, they would need to spend more to cure the burns that they have acquired. Some of the adverse effects include the following:
- Punctured eardrums
- Face and ear burns
If you would still choose to get ear candling, select someone who is aware of the proper things that should be done. There are a lot of accidents that are unreported.
Should You Use Cotton Swabs to Clean Your Ears?
Cotton swabs are one of the most popular options for cleaning the ears. Aside from being cheap, they are available in all supermarket, convenience store and pharmacy. It is also easy to use, right? But, did you know that cotton swabs are actually not good for the ears?
When using cotton swabs, it interrupts the ears’ natural cleaning process which causes the ears to make more wax. Over time, as you have been using cotton swabs to clean your ears, earwax is pushed deeper in the canal and can cause blockage which has to be removed by a doctor.
How to Use Cotton Swabs Correctly?
Cotton swabs can work effectively if you are doing it the right way:
- Insert the cotton swab inside your ear.
- SCRAPE around for ear wax.
- Remove the cotton swab and that’s all.
Even if seemed easy to clean your ears, it is still important to take extra care as the ears are very sensitive! You are also probably cleaning your ears wrong. You can get assistance from your physician or an ear specialist to get rid of earwax. There are also simple and natural remedies that can get rid of hardened earwax from the ears.
10 Easy Home Remedies to Get Rid of Earwax Fast
These are some of the natural remedies you can use to get rid of earwax:
If you would like to get rid of earwax accumulation, hydrogen peroxide is one of the best that you can use at home. It has effervescent properties which can get rid of earwax as well as other remains from the ear easily.
- Mix equal amounts of water and hydrogen peroxide (3%).
- You can use an ear dropper to place the mixture in your ear slowly.
- Tilt your head sideways as you allow the solution to enter your ear canal.Leave for about 2 – 3 minutes.
- Tilt your head towards the floor depending on the ear where you have placed the mixture so that the solution will be drained.
- You will see a more watery earwax that you can quickly expel from your ear. You can just wipe it with a clean cloth to remove the excess earwax you have removed from your ear.
Vinegar With Rubbing Alcohol
This is one of the traditional remedies for removing hardened earwax from the ear. The alcohol will serve as the drying agent so that it will evaporate once it reaches the ear. The vinegar, on the other hand, will be useful in killing the fungi and bacteria that may be causing the infection of the ear.
- You need to prepare white vinegar and rubbing alcohol in a bowl.
- You can soak a cotton ball in the solution.
- Tilt your head with the affected ear facing towards the ceiling as you drop the solution into your ear.
- Allow the solution to stay inside your ear for about 5 minutes.
- Tilt your head again but this time going towards the floor as you allow the solution to drain out.
- You may start to see the earwax that caused the blockage to stay near the front portion of the ear.
You may think that olive oil is just used for the skin and hair. Of course, people know how this can be effective for cooking, but there is so much more to olive oil that you should know. Olive oil can efficiently make the wax softer so that it can be easily expelled from the ear.It also has antiseptic properties which can reduce the risk of any infection.
- Warm up enough amount of olive oil.
- Tilt the affected ear towards the ceiling. Fill the dropper and put three up to four drops of olive oil into the ear.
- It may take 10 minutes before the ear wax can become completely soft.
- After ten minutes, tilt your head to the opposite side to remove oil as well as the dissolved earwax. Clean the outer part of the ear.
- Remove the oil from your ear once you tilt it sideways.
Aside from olive oil, mustard oil is also effective for softening hardened earwax!
If you want to flush out the excess earwax from your ears, you can just use warm water to do this natural remedy. The force of the water on your ear will be enough to get rid of the wax so that you can remove it from your ear easily. When using warm water, make sure that you will only pick clean water.
- Make sure that the water is not too warm for your ear. Your best bet is to make the temperature almost near room temperature water but slightly warmer.
- Face your affected ear towards the ceiling and pull your outer ear so that the ear canal can be straighter.
- Put a small amount of water in your ear canal.
- Leave on your ear for a short while then tilt towards the opposite side so that the ear wax can be completely drained.
- You can use a clean cloth to wipe away the water and the earwax from the ear.
Another type of oil that you can use to soften earwax is baby oil. A lot of people has used this.Baby oil can soften earwax and control its removal.
- You need to use a dropper to place the baby oil into your ear.
- Tilt the ear toward the ceiling and put at 2-5 drops of baby oil inside the ear.
- Place a cotton ball on the opening of the cotton ball to prevent the oil from going out.Leave for a few minutes.
- Get rid of the cotton ball and tilt your head towards the other direction so you can remove the excess oil.
- The opening of the ear may have extra oil and earwax. Remove the excess with the use of a clean cloth.
This is one of the most popular remedies for removing earwax. Salt water can make the hard earwax softer so that it can be expelled easily from the ear.
- In one-half cup of warm water, mix a teaspoon of salt until the salt dissolves.
- Dip a cotton ball in the salt water mixture.
- Tilt your head toward the ceiling and squeeze the cotton ball gently to pour few drops of salt water into your ear. Keep still in the same position for at least three minutes.
- Tilt your head on the opposite side to drain the salt water out of your ear.
- Clean the outer part of the ear with cloth to get rid of the softened earwax.
Almond oil is known to be good for the body so it is no surprise that it can be used to get rid of earwax as well. You can simply use almond oil to lubricate the ear and soften the earwax so that it will be easier to remove.
- You need to use room temperature almond oil.
- Tilt the ear towards the ceiling and use an ear dropper to place five drops of almond oil into the ear.
- Allow the almond oil to soften the wax for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Put a tissue over the ear and tilt to the opposite direction in order to remove the oil as well as dissolved wax.
- Clear away the outer ear from excess oil and wax with a clean and soft cloth.
Use Baking Soda to Get Rid of Earwax
Baking soda has a lot of uses and one of them is removing excess earwax. Water mixed with 10% of baking soda can soften earwax buildup.
- Mix a quarter of a teaspoon of baking soda in two teaspoons of clean water.
- Use a dropper to place several drops into your ear.
- Wait for 10 minutes while keeping one side of your head tilted towards the ceiling.
- Use a rubber bulb syringe to flush warm water inside your ear.
- You can then place the affected ear towards the floor so that the excess solution will be drained from the ear.
- Clean the residue from your outer ear with the use of tissues or clean cloth.
Another effective solution for removing earwax buildup is glycerin. It has moisturizing and lubricating properties which can aid in softening hard earwax.
- Tilt the affected ear towards the ceiling. With the use of dropper, put four drops of glycerin into the ear.
- Place a cotton ball at the opening of the ear. Leave it like that for few hours.
- Put the cotton ball away and flush warm water gently into the ear.
- Drain out the water by tilting your head to the other side. Clean and dry the outer part of the ear with a clean towel.
10. Omega-3 Fatty Acids
One of the common causes for excessive earwax is the lack of omega-3 fatty acids. You can take omega-3 supplements or eat foods that are rich in omega-3 such as salmon, walnuts, avocado, sardines, cod liver oil and mackerel.
Using Over-the-Counter Kit
Over-the-counter kits require you to do the ear irrigation solution. This is effective provided that you do not have an ear injury and you have not have had any medical procedure done on your ear. If you have a ruptured eardrum and you try to do this, you may acquire ear infection. In some severe cases, this may cause hearing loss.
These are the steps you usually have to take to use over-the-counter kits safely:
- Choose a position that you are comfortable in. You may choose to stand up or sit down.
- Hold your outer ear and stretch it out a bit to straighten the ear canal.
- Use a syringe without a needle to place a stream of water inside your ear. Make sure that the water is room temperature. If you choose to put water that is too warm or too cold, you may become slightly dizzy.
- Drain the water by tipping your head towards the floor.
This has to be done several times to prevent wax buildup. Those who are prone to getting wax buildups may do it from time to time.
How to Prevent Excess Earwax Buildup
Here are some tips to prevent excessive buildup of earwax.
- When taking a shower, run some water into your ear to keep it moist. This can prevent building up of earwax and also prevents the earwax from getting dry.
- Avoid using any pointy objects inside your ears as it can cause infections when the wax is pushed deeper.
- Do not use cold water when draining out excess water.
- Do not insert cotton swabs into the ear canal. Simply remove the exposed ear wax at the opening in order to avoid pushing the ear wax deeper.
- As much as possible, do not use candle ear wax remover. Ear candles can be dangerous as you have to hold the lighted candle close to your ear!
- Make sure that your body is getting enough omega-3 acids which are not only good for the health but also important to stop the earwax problem.
- Do not use HOT oil inside the ears as it can burn the skin can cause ear infection.
- Lessen the consumption of dairy products.
- After using the home remedies mentioned above and the problem still persists, consult a doctor.
When to Get Medical Help
If in case you have tried all of the natural remedies and over-the-counter kits, but you still have blocked earwax.The symptoms you experience become more intense:
- Severe pain coming from your ear
- There may be some drainage coming out from your ear
- Uncontrollable coughing
- Hearing loss that may come and go
- Dizziness – Take note that the ear is responsible for helping us keep our balance.
- Odor that comes from the ear
Do not waste any more time. You need to go and visit your doctor immediately.