Getting the flu can sometimes make people want to be well immediately because they know that they will not be able to accomplish anything while they have it. What about you, do you feel the same way about the flu too?
It is likely that the moment you start to feel the symptoms of the flu, your world already becomes shrouded with misery because the other symptoms such as sore throat and some aches are causing you to become uncomfortable.
While it is true that there are various prescription medications to help get rid of the flu at the soonest possible time, there are instances when there is no need to take those medications anymore because there are several home remedies that you can try that can effectively get rid of your flu.
Are you curious to know what home remedies you would need to do to help get rid of the flu?
10 Natural Home Remedies to Get Rid of the Flu&Cold Fast
Blow Your Nose
This might seem like a natural thing to do. It is only normal that when your nose starts to clog up, you would have to blow your nose to clear your nasal passageways again and be allowed to breathe again. One thing that you have to remember though is to blow your nose the proper way which is light. Here is the right way to blow your nose:
- Press a finger over one nostril.
- Gently blow on the other nostril to allow the mucus to go out.
- Do the same for the other nostril.
- Clean your hands thoroughly after blowing your nose.
Since you are feeling some chills while you have the flu, you may have the tendency to forget drinking water. You need to constantly hydrate yourself while you have the flu in order to be strong enough and help your antibodies get rid of the virus causing the flu in your body. Water is fine although you may also want to take in other drinks that do not have caffeine to be sure.
- Make sure to drink about 8 – 10 glasses of water a day.
- Take soups in order to hydrate your body.
- Liquids that come with ions that can make your body stronger can also drink too.
Take Time to Rest
In this busy world right now, resting seems to be a hard thing to do since there are just so many things that would need to be accomplished. The body becomes accustomed to having to work so many hours during the day then they usually get to sleep a maximum of 6 hours every night. It is only natural the body does not get enough time to recuperate which makes it harder for the body to fight off various diseases. Do remember that when you have flu, this might be your body’s way of telling you that you have to rest.
- Even if you have a strict exercise routine, listen to your body. If you know that you cannot take it, do not exercise.
- Now is your time to lie around and sleep whenever you would want to.
- Don’t do your daily chores just yet because you can all do them when you are feeling better.
Use the Humidifier
One of the main reasons why it can be hard for you when you have the flu is because you can barely breathe. If this is the case, use your humidifier which can help clear up your clogged nasal passageways immediately.
- Make sure that your humidifier is clean before using it.
- Turn it on and wait for a few minutes.
- Try to breathe in the air that it will bring to help get rid of your sinus problems and make you feel better.
- An alternative to this is to take a hot shower but do not force yourself to do this if you can barely get out of bed.
At this point, your flu may be coupled with fever and other symptoms that are uncomfortable. Making use of the warm compress and placing it on your forehead can give instant relief because this relaxes the nerves.
- Prepare a warm compress and place it near the forehead and the nose.
- If you do not have a warm compress, you can also make use of warm cloth.
- Place it on your forehead for as long as it is warm enough.
- Replace if needed.
Sleep with an Extra Pillow
At this point, you may be wondering how an extra pillow can help fight the effects of having the flu. You have to know that with the extra pillow, the drainage of the nasal passages can be easier. This can result in being able to breathe easier.
- Place an extra pillow below your head.
- Make sure that the angle is comfortable enough.
- Do not make it too high because you are going to risk getting a stiff neck the next day.
- Make sure that the slope is more gradual to make it easier for you.
The neti pot is commonly used in order to let saline solution pass through one nostril and go out the other nostril. This will help clear your nasal passageways and help you breathe better thus giving you instant relief when you need it. Just make sure that you will ask your doctor about it so that you can be cleared with using this.
- Follow the instructions that are given.
- Place the saline solution on the neti pot.
- Slowly place the tip of the neti pot in one nostril.
- Tilt your head in a 45-degree angle and let the solution pass through one of your nostrils going to the other nostril.
- Do the same for the other nostril until your nasal passages become clear.
Use Saline Solution Spray
A saline solution is a pretty easy solution to do although there are pre-packed ones that you can purchase from the drug store; you can make your very own saline solution by mixing sea salt and warm water.
- Mix in sea salt and warm water.
- Place the mixture in a spray bottle.
- Gently spray about twice in one nostril.
- Repeat the same for the other nostril.
- This will give instant relief especially when it clears off the sinuses.
If you are not familiar with this, Echinacea is known to be an herbal supplement that can help fight off the flu and colds. Do remember that while it cannot be used to prevent colds and flu from happening, this can lessen the symptoms that you might feel significantly.
- Take Echinacea the moment that you feel that the symptoms are starting to take place.
- Continue taking it every day for a period of 10 days.
- Do remember that this would only need to be taken once a day.
Whenever there are some medications that are being advertised on television, Vitamin C is usually one of the ingredients that are mentioned and this is only normal since Vitamin C can be very effective in getting rid of flu.
- Infuse Vitamin C to your diet by drinking fruit liquids that are rich with vitamin C such as lemon, lime, and orange.
- Eat the fruits after each meal instead of your usual dessert.
- Do remember not to take too much Vitamin C because this can cause some digestive problems.
The above-mentioned things are just some of the things that you can do to help get rid of the flu. When you start feeling better, take things slowly because the symptoms might come back if your body becomes immediately overworked.