Indigestion, also called dyspepsia, is one of the most common gastrointestinal diseases in the United States. It is a functional disease that signifies an underlying problem, such as gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), ulcers, gastritis, or gallbladder disease.
Indigestion can be caused by overeating, eating spicy food, eating fatty food, eating during stressful situations, or eating too fast.It is a common condition that affects men and women of all ages.
However, pregnant women are more likely to get this symptom. Excessive drinking, smoking, drugs that stimulate the stomach, ulcers, anxiety, or depression may aggravate the symptoms.
Indigestion happens from time to time. Usually, it can cause you uncomfortable because of the pain. Some people are suffering from indigestion and cannot even go to sleep. If you want to get rid of it fast, you must know the causes first.
Symptoms of Indigestion
- Gas and bloating in the abdominal accompanied by nausea.
- Acid reflux and heartburn
- Burning sensation in the stomach region between the navel and the breastbone
- Full after eating
- Nausea, vomiting, belching, and flatulence
- Swelling or upper abdominal cramps
- Diarrhea and constipation
Common Causes of Indigestion
- Eating Spicy Food – Spicy food can be hard to digest the body, resulting in indigestion.
- Eating Fatty Food – Fatty food products contain a lot of oil and cholesterol, which can be hard to digest for the body.
- Overeating – Every time that you overeat, there is a chance that you will get indigestion after.
- Underlying condition – Some medical conditions, such as gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), ulcers, gastritis, and gallbladder disease, can cause you to have indigestion.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Indigestion Fast
Fennel seeds are excellent for treating digestive conditions such as gas, acid, and reflux in the throat. It contains Anethole, a compound that can help suppress your gastrointestinal tract spasms.
It is also rich in minerals and vitamins such as iron, potassium, C, E, and E . This will help neutralize what spicy food has produced and reduce nausea so that you can feel better.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of fennel seeds to a glass of hot water.
- Wait for 5-10 minutes and drink the solution.
- You can also chew a spoonful of fennel seeds slowly after your meals.
- Do this about twice a day. This will also give you a fresh breath.
- Alternatively, you can roast and grind the fennel seeds.
- Place the ground fennel seeds in a glass of boiling water and chew them slowly.
- Another option is to mix one teaspoon of fennel seeds, three mint leaves, and 1/2 teaspoon of ginger with hot water. Wait for 15 minutes and drink one cup 2 – 3 times daily.
Peppermint tea can help relieve digestive system conditions such as vomiting, stomach cramps, IBS, indigestion, and nausea.
Peppermint flavonoids, phenolic acids, and menthol can help relax the digestive tract muscles. This can help you digest the food that you eat effectively.
Peppermint has antibacterial and antifungal properties, which can prevent stomach infections. You can also use Peppermint tea to eliminate nausea, cramping, and flatulence.
In addition, peppermint tea is excellent, which can relieve the burning sensation that accompanies reflux and makes you feel better.
- Prepare the peppermint tea bag by placing it in warm water for about 3 – 5 minutes. Take out the tea bag and wait for the water to cool. Drink the tea by sipping it slowly.
- Alternatively, add 2-3 tablespoons of peppermint leaves in hot water and wait 10-15 minutes to let it cool. Drink it during or after a meal.
- You can also add some essential oils such as Ginger oil, Lavender oil, or Peppermint oil to enhance its effect.
In Chinese medicine, ginger can treat many gastrointestinal problems, such as indigestion, belching, nausea, and bloating. It can also help relieve the trapped gas in your chest.
You can take ginger when you have indigestion because of overeating. It can help food move faster away from your stomach and into your intestines to make them digested easier. It also has anti-emetic properties that can be used to treat motion sickness.
- Grate fresh ginger and place it in a glass of warm water.
- Add a little bit of lemon juice.
- Add a few drops of honey to make it taste better.
- Drink it so that you can feel better.
- You can also chew the dried ginger or include ginger in your diet.
Carrom is a plant from Egypt. In India, it was used to eliminate indigestion and many other stomach problems. .
The carom seed oil contains thymol with stomachic, carminative and antispasmodic properties. It contains many vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals, which can help heal many gastrointestinal problems..
- Grind Carom seeds and freshly grated ginger.
- Place on a cup of warm water and drink.
- You can do this twice a day.
- You can also chew the carom seeds after each meal.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar is a vinegar made from apple juice and acetic acid. Aside from being good for the skin and hair, it can also be helpful for indigestion.
The acetic acid in apple cider vinegar can help prevent bacteria and help digest foods and relieve acid reflux. 
It can also help remove trapped gas in the stomach. In addition, it can also help get rid of flu, sores, and diabetes.
- Add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to one cup of warm water.
- Add a little bit of raw honey.
- Drink a cup of water about three or four times a day.
- This can help relieve indigestion.
- You can also mix 1-2 teaspoon ACV with one glass of warm water and drink it before meals.
Pay Attention to Your Diet
Diet adjustment is a very effective way to treat indigestion. Instead of eating the usual food products, you should try replacing them with healthy ones.
- Instead of drinking solid food, you should eat food products that are mild and soft such as soup, noodles, and porridge.
- Avoid eating fatty foods such as ice cream, butter, red meat, cheese, and fried foods. These foods may worsen your diarrhea or constipation,
- Avoid eating spicy foods such as tomatoes, citrus fruits, spices, and carbonated drinks.
- If you have stomach pain after drinking alcohol, you can brew ginger tea to remove the discomfort.
- Avoid caffeine and excess alcohol; they can cause stomach upset and lead to vomiting.
- Avoid dairy products if you suffer from lactose intolerance. You can use yogurt or quark cheese instead.
- You can also drink mint or chamomile tea; they can effectively alleviate indigestion.
- Eat more vegetables and fruits such as pears, avocados, apples, and bananas. These fruits are rich in soluble fiber, which can help clean your gut and remove diarrhea symptoms.
How Long Does Indigestion Last
Many factors affect the duration of indigestion.
Indigestion due to excessive drinking or eating bad food usually lasts for a short time. In most cases, the symptoms will disappear within 1-2 hours.
Indigestion caused by Obesity usually has a longer duration. In addition, the digestive function of elderly patients or pregnant is relatively weak. Indigestion usually lasts for 3-4 hours.
Gastric cancer, GRD, peptic ulcers, and other stomach disorders can cause severe indigestion. The patients may continue to suffer from indigestion for a long time. You need to consult your doctor immediately.
How to Prevent Indigestion
- Do not eat too fast, which can lead to indigestion. You should chew slowly to make the food into a paste in your mouth. This can reduce the pressure on your stomach. It will be easier for your enzymes to break down the food products and get the nutrients.
- Try to eat five small meals a day instead of three meals. Avoid heavy meals after supper, which can cause your stomach not to have insufficient time to digest.
- Try to relax and avoid eating under stressful conditions. Stress hurts the digestive system. You can listen to soothing music while eating.
- Drink plenty of water, which can help clear the body of toxins to reduce indigestion pain. Eight glasses of water a day can effectively treat indigestion. Drinking a cup of warm water every morning after getting up can effectively improve your indigestion. You can also add some honey to get a better result. Honey contains many vitamins and can help balance the acid in your stomach.
- Do not go to bed immediately after a meal. This can cause the acid to rise into the esophagus, resulting in heartburn and indigestion. You’d better take a walk for 30 -50 minutes. But do not do strenuous exercise.
- Exercise for 1-2 hours daily, promoting food movement in the digestive tract. This can help reduce your indigestion.
- Do not wear tight clothes, which can hinder your stomach’s natural movement, leading to indigestion and stomach pain.
- Avoid Smoking and Drinking. Smoking and drinking might aggravate your condition. You may start limiting your cigarette intake if you cannot last a day without a cigarette. Not only will this help your digestion, but it will also improve your health overall.