Shingles,also called herpes zoster, is a viral infection caused by the varicella zoster virus .This disease is very common. Millions of people in the United States are reported to have it every year. In addition, the varicella zoster virus can also result in chickenpox and cold sores.This virus is hard to remove, which can remain in your nervous tissue for a long time, even after you have successfully treat chickenpox.Usually, shingles occur when the virus becomes triggered again.
The most common symptom of shingles is red,itchy and painful rashes, which are small pox marks often occur on the buttocks,lower back, neck, cheeks, trunk or face.It can also spread to anywhere on your body.
The rashes come in patches, this makes the rashes highly noticeable.When the rashes develop into blisters filled with fluid,you may feel extremely itchy and painful. The rashed may disappear completely within 5-6 weeks.There are other common symptoms such as fatigue, body pain, fever,headaches,dizziness and sensitivity to light.
Some people are more at risk of getting the virus such as the following:
- People who have had chicken pox before,as the varicella-zoster virus can cause both the diseases.
- Poor immune system person like elderly people and children.
- People who have other health conditions such as diabetes,HIV,skin cancer etc.
- In addtion,stress or taking certain medications such as steroids can also weak the immune system and worse this condition.
Is shingles contagious?Shingles isn’t as contagious as chicken pox which is highly contagious.Chicken pox can be inherited to the baby in their early months.However,shingles is contagious too.you’d better avoid exposing your virus to others.
Before treatment, you need to understand that shingles is a viral infection that can not be treated with antibiotics.Antiviral medication usually treat only rashes on the skin.However,you can remove the shingles and shingles pain with some natural home remedies. Here are the top 10 home remedies to get rid of shingles fast.
Top 10 Home Remedies to Get Rid of Shingles Fast and Naturally
Are you aware that oatmeal can easily remove your shingles? Oatmeal has soothing and anti-irritant properties which can help relieve pain, irritation and constant itching accompanied by shingles.
- Add 2 cups of oatmeal powder to the tub filled with lukewarm water.
- Soak yourself in the water for 15-30 minutes.
- You can do this everyday before you go to bed.
- Mix 1 tablespoon finely powdered oatmeal with plenty of water to make a paste.
- Apply this paste on your affected area, dry it and wash it off with warm water.
- You can do this 2-3 times a day for 1-2 weeks.
Aloe Vera is a effective solution for the treatment of shingles and the shingles scars.It has antiviral and antifungal properties which can cool and soothe the infected area of the skin to remove the irritated, itching and burning sensation. It can also help improve the healing process.
- Extract Aloe Vera gel from a fresh Aloe Vera leaf.
- Apply the fresh Aloe Vera gel to the areas and rub gently following a circular motion.
- Massage the Aloe Vera on the area and wait for it to dry for a few minutes.
- Rinse off after half an hour with cold water.
- You can do this 2 – 3 times a day to get a good result at the soonest possible time.
Honey is not only tasty, but also useful for the treatment of shingles.It has antibacterial and wound healing properties which can help remove the pain and irritation of blisters naturally.It can also soothe the skin gently.
- Place honey on a clean cloth or bandage and then put it on your infected area.
- Make sure that you will cover all of the areas quite well.
- Keep it there for as long as you can.
- If the honey dries up, you need to replace it with fresh honey every few hours.
- Do these processes until your condition is better.
You can also add the honey to your diet which can help improve your immune system for faster recovery.One tablespoon of raw honey daily is enough.
The great thing about green tea is that a lot of people like it a lot. In fact, some people take it before going to work in the morning. If you have never taken green tea before, you have to know that this can be very effective in getting rid of shingles because of its antiviral properties. It can help kill the virus causing shingles, and this will make shingles go away eventually.
- Make sure that you will include green tea when you wake up in the morning.
- You are recommended to drink green tea about four times a day so that it can heal you from the inside.
Garlic is one of the most effective solutions for many skin infections such as shingles.It has antiviral properties that can help kill bacterial virus, parasites and fungi that cause shingles.It also help heal the shingles and remove the itch and pain.
- Get 5 cloves of garlic and mash it until you get a paste.
- Place the garlic paste on the area afflicted with shingles.
- Leave on the skin for about 5 minutes. Make sure do not leave it longer because this might burn your skin.
- Wash off with warm water.
- Do this 1-2 times a day for 1-2 weeks.
- You can also eat 3-4 cloves of raw garlic every day to get a better result.
You may be surprised to see acetone here since you may probably know acetone as something that you can use to get rid of shingles because it can dry off the skin and kill the virus at the same time.
- Place the acetone on a clean cotton ball.
- Place it on the skin affected by shingles.
- Leave the acetone on the shingles for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Wash off completely with water.
Coconut oil has antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties which can help get rid of shingles at the soonest possible time.
- Heat a small amount of coconut oil in a pot.
- Apply the warm oil on the affected area of skin and cover the area with gauze.
- Reapply the coconut oil every 3 hours.
- You can do this every day for about a week or until the shingles start to go away.
- You can also add 2-3 tablespoon of coconut oil to your daily diet,which help your skin heal quickly.
Sea salt has antiseptic properties that can be very helpful in soothing the itch feeling of shingles.It can also help dry the blisters and increase the healing process.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of sea salt with ½ cup of plain water.
- Soak a cotton ball in the water and place it on your affected area.
- You can repeat this process 1-2 times a day for 1 week.
- You can also add 1 cup of sea salt to the bath water, soak yourself in for 30-40 minutes daily for a better result.
Cold water may be the simplest way to remove shingles at home.It can help remove the irritation and itching.Also,it can help relieve the pain due to blisters.
- Prepare a pot of cold water and soak a towel in the water.
- Wring out the excess water and place it on your affected areas for 20-30 minutes.
- You can repeat this process until your pain subsides.
You can also try a cold water bath.Prepare cold water and soak yourself for a few minutes.This can help you relieve the shingles pain.Do not use ice packs or water that is too cold which may hurt your skin.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is another effective way to get rid of shingles.It is a natural antiviral and disinfectant.It has antimicrobial and astringent properties which can help dry out sores, relieve itching and improve your recovery process.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and 2 teaspoon of pure water.
- Dip a cotton ball in the mixture and apply it on the affected area of the skin.
- Wait for 10-20 minutes until it dries and wash it off with water.
Do this 2-3 times a day until your problems go away.
You can also add 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and 1 teaspoon of honey to a cup of hot water.Then, drink this 3 times a day after your meals for 1-2 weeks.
How to Prevent Shingles
Do remember that aside from the natural home remedies that are mentioned above, it will be helpful if you could avoid having to scratch the affected area of the skin because this might aggravate your condition even more. Keep shingles exposed unless you are doing home remedies so that they can dry up quickly.keep your skin clean and dry, do not share towels, rags or gloves with other people.