What causes swollen eyes? How to get rid of swollen eyes naturally?There are times when you wake up with swollen eyes, and it can be frustrating because aside from the fact that it is uncomfortable, you know that you will not be looking your best. There are always different reasons why you may have swollen eyes such as the following:
Causes of Swollen Eyes
- Excessive Crying – Crying yourself to sleep will mean that you will have swollen eyes afterward.
- Physical Stress – Were you exhausted the day before? You may have felt stressed because of the different things that you have to do. It may take a toll on your eyes as it will be evident that you are stressed out.
- Change in Weather – Even a simple change in weather from hot to cold or vice versa can cause your eyes to become swollen.
- Allergies – Some people cannot help but become allergic to a wide variety of things that they may get exposed to every day.
- Lack of Sleep – Did you pull an all-nighter? It may be because of the task that you have to do or perhaps you have a project that you just cannot miss.
There are still a lot of other reasons why you may get swollen eyes, but the most important thing that you can do is to make sure that you will do some remedies to get rid of the swollen eyes at the soonest possible time.
You may know some creams that you can use, or if your puffy eyes are caused by your genes, you may want to seek treatment from a medical doctor but do remember that there are some simple home remedies that you can try to get rid of swollen eyes now.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Swollen Eyes Fast
Do you know that dehydration is one of the main reasons why your eyes are puffy? If you have cried yourself to sleep, you have lost a lot of water in the process, and of course, at the same time, crying can cause swelling, but sometimes, water is the only thing that is missing.
- Drink enough water every day.
- Before and after eating, drink water.
- Drink water when you wake up in the morning.
- Try to incorporate regular drinking of water in your everyday life.
Black Tea Bags
Black tea bags contain Tannin which is known to be useful in making sure that the swelling of eyes will be greatly reduced. You would need to make sure that you will choose the tea bags that you are going to get the best results.
- Take black tea bag and place in a cup of hot water.
- Place the tea bags in the refrigerator before you use it.
- Place the tea bags on your eyes and leave on for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- This would have to be done every time you would like to brighten your eyes.
Another tea that can be used to get rid of swollen eyes is chamomile tea. Chamomile contains anti-inflammatory properties that can bring down the swelling of the eyes effectively. If in case your swelling is caused by eye irritation, this can be highly effective as well.
- Make use of dried chamomile and place it in a cup of hot water.
- Let it steep for about 10 minutes.
- Strain the dried chamomile and powder them.
- Drink the tea about 2 – 3 times a day.
You probably know that Aloe Vera is something that you can use for your skin as well as your hair, but it can also be useful in getting rid of swollen eyes.
- Extract the Aloe Vera gel from the leaf and make sure that you will place it in the swollen area of your eyes.
- You would need to do this at night before going to sleep so that you can leave it on overnight.
- This would have to be repeated until the swelling indeed subsides.
Have you always seen people on television making use of cucumbers to combat swollen eyes? This is because it is highly effective in making sure that your eyes will improve after some time. You can be sure that the enzymes will be able to bring the inflammation down and at the same time, this can also tighten the skin around the eyes.
- Cut a cucumber into thick slices.
- Place the cucumber in the refrigerator and let it chill down.
- Place the cucumber on your eyes until they become warm.
- It will be a good idea to have a lot of slices ready to let it chill down.
- This would have to be done several times a day.
One thing that can be said about turmeric is that it is high in anti-inflammatory properties and this fact alone makes it useful in making sure that the swollen skin around the eye area will improve tremendously.
- Add turmeric powder with rose water.
- You would have to place the paste on the affected area.
- Leave it on until such time when you need to reapply it.
- You may also have to leave it on overnight if the swelling is bad.
Egg whites are known to have skin tightening properties which can be very useful in making the swelling around the eye area go down. At the same time, they can get rid of eye bags and wrinkles that may be forming in the area around the eye.
- You may have to use one large egg or two small eggs.
- Separate the yolk/s from the egg white/s.
- Add a couple of drops of witch hazel.
- Make use of cotton to place in the eye area.
- Leave on the skin for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Do this about 2 – 3 times every day.
Witch Hazel is known to be highly effective in making the skin around the eye area tighter than ever. At the same time, they have anti-inflammatory properties that can be placed around the eye area to reduce the swelling.
- Brew witch hazel tea.
- Place the tea bags in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes or more.
- Leave on the eyes until they become warm on the eyes.
- This would have to be done several times a day for the swelling to reduce.
Do you know that potatoes can be another home remedy that you can try if you do not have cucumbers at home? They also contain anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce the puffiness around the eye area. You can also use potatoes if you would like to reduce the darkness around your eyes.
- Use a medium-sized potato.
- Grate the potato and place it on a clean cloth.
- Place the cloth over your eyes for a few minutes.
- This would need to be done several times a day until desired results are received.
There may be some people who think that salt water will not be used for the eyes at all but actually, salt water can help reduce fuel retention that may cause swelling. You can be sure that doing this remedy will be easy for you.
- Place enough salt in water.
- Make sure that the water is just warm.
- You would have to soak cotton balls in the salt water.
- Place them on the eyelids for about a few minutes.
- Do this process for about 20 minutes.
Now that you already know the different things that you can do to get rid of swollen eyes, you will have brighter eyes that you can always be proud of.