Swollen eyes are a common problem. Although the swelling is usually temporary and harmless, it can be very uncomfortable. Fortunately, there are several remedies that can help you get rid of swollen eyes quickly and effectively.
Furthermore, some lifestyle changes and additional treatments can also help reduce the swelling and leave you feeling refreshed. In this article, we’ll look at 10 home remedies to get rid of swollen eyes fast.
Common Causes of Swollen Eyes
- Excessive Crying – Crying yourself to sleep will mean that you will have swollen eyes afterward.
- Physical Stress – Were you exhausted the day before? You may have felt stressed because of the different things you must do. It may take a toll on your eyes as it will be evident that you are stressed out.
- Change in Weather – Even a simple change in weather from hot to cold or vice versa can cause your eyes to become swollen.
- Allergies – Some people cannot help but become allergic to a wide variety of things they may get exposed to daily.
- Lack of Sleep – Did you pull an all-nighter? It may be because you have to do it, or perhaps you have a project that you cannot miss.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Swollen Eyes Fast
Do you know that dehydration is one of the main reasons your eyes are puffy? If you have cried to sleep, you have lost a lot of water in the process, and of course, at the same time, crying can cause swelling, but sometimes, water is the only thing missing.
- Drink enough water every day.
- Before and after eating, drink water.
- Drink water when you wake up in the morning.
- Try to incorporate regular drinking of water into your everyday life.
Black Tea Bags
Black tea bags contain Tannin, which is known to help ensure that the eyes’ swelling is significantly reduced. You need to make sure that you choose the tea bags that will get the best results.
- Take a black tea bag and place it in a cup of hot water.
- Place the tea bags in the refrigerator before you use them.
- Place the tea bags on your eyes and leave them on for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- This would have to be done whenever you want to brighten your eyes.
Another tea that can be used to get rid of swollen eyes is chamomile tea. Chamomile contains anti-inflammatory properties that can effectively reduce the eyes’ swelling. If your swelling is caused by eye irritation, this can also be highly effective.
- Please use dried chamomile and place it in a cup of hot water.
- Let it steep for about 10 minutes.
- Strain the dried chamomile and powder them.
- Drink the tea about 2 – 3 times a day.
You probably know that Aloe Vera is something you can use for your skin and hair, but it can also help get rid of swollen eyes.
- Extract the Aloe Vera gel from the leaf and make sure that you will place it in the swollen area of your eyes.
- You would need to do this at night before going to sleep to leave it on overnight.
- This would have to be repeated until the swelling indeed subsides.
Have you always seen people on television using cucumbers to combat swollen eyes? This is because it is highly effective in making sure that your eyes will improve after some time. You can be sure that the enzymes will bring the inflammation down, and at the same time, this can also tighten the skin around the eyes.
- Cut a cucumber into thick slices.
- Place the cucumber in the refrigerator and let it chill down.
- Place the cucumber on your eyes until they become warm.
- It will be a good idea to have a lot of slices ready to let it chill down.
- This would have to be done several times a day.
One thing that can be said about turmeric is that it is high in anti-inflammatory properties. This fact alone makes it helpful in making sure that the swollen skin around the eye area will improve tremendously.
- Add turmeric powder with rose water.
- You would have to place the paste on the affected area.
- Leave it on until the such time when you need to reapply it.
- If the swelling is wrong, you may also have to leave it on overnight.
Egg whites are known to have skin-tightening properties, which can be very useful in reducing the swelling around the eye area. At the same time, they can get rid of eye bags and wrinkles forming in the area around the eye.
- You may have to use one large egg or two small eggs.
- Separate the yolk/s from the egg white/s.
- Add a couple of drops of witch hazel.
- Make use of cotton to place in the eye area.
- Leave on the skin for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Do this about 2 – 3 times every day.
Witch Hazel is highly effective in making the skin around the eye area tighter than ever. At the same time, they have anti-inflammatory properties that can be placed around the eye area to reduce swelling.
- Brew witch hazel tea.
- Place the tea bags in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes or more.
- Leave on the eyes until they become warm on the eyes.
- This would have to be done several times daily to reduce swelling.
Do you know that potatoes can be another home remedy if you do not have cucumbers? They also contain anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce puffiness around the eye area. You can also use potatoes if you would like to reduce the darkness around your eyes.
- Use a medium-sized potato.
- Grate the potato and place it on a clean cloth.
- Place the cloth over your eyes for a few minutes.
- This would need to be done several times a day until the desired results are received.
Some people think saltwater will not be used for the eyes at all, but saltwater can help reduce fuel retention, which may cause swelling. You can be sure that doing this remedy will be easy for you.
- Place enough salt in the water.
- Make sure that the water is just warm.
- You would have to soak cotton balls in saltwater.
- Place them on the eyelids for about a few minutes.
- Do this process for about 20 minutes.
Now that you know the different things you can do to get rid of swollen eyes, you will have brighter eyes that you can always be proud of.