Gnats are tiny flies that are often found near drainpipes or potted plants. They are usually black or grey and small, around 2mm. They are very annoying and can often be found in large numbers in summer. Although they can’t harm you, gnats will lay eggs, disturb individuals, and spread diseases. This article will provide 26 easy ways to get rid of gnats at home. These methods will help you get rid of chemicals and get good results.
Where are the gnats in the house coming from?
You might wonder what brought them inside your house. Rotting fruit, Dirty dishes, damp potting soil, and even trash bags with spoiled food can cause gnats. Because gnats breed frequently, a couple of stray gnats can rapidly blast into a swarm in a few days. Therefore you must solve this problem as quickly as possible.
Gnats like warm and moist conditions, so they are often found in houses with clogged gutters or greenhouses, where the soil is constantly wet. They can also be found around animal feces, so if you have a pet such as a dog or a cat, ensure they are kept clean to avoid attracting these annoying little flies.
Differences between Gnats and Fruit Flies
Many people don’t know the difference between Gnats and Fruit Flies. They thought these insects were the same, but this was not true.
Both fruit flies and gnats are in the order Diptera, but they are two very different species. Gnats are in the family Simuliidae, primarily black or grey, and have long antennae. Fruit flies are in the family Tephritidae, tan principally, and brown, and have short antennae. You can also tell these two apart by the way they fly.
Fruit flies have an irregular pattern, while gnats have a steady fluttering pattern. Gnats also have long legs and antennae, which are used to suck up nectar. You can also tell fruit flies and gnats apart by how they reproduce. Fruit flies lay their eggs in clusters, while gnats lay them in a clump.
26 Easy Ways to Get Rid Of Gnats in the House and Yard
Many home products can be used to eradicate gnats, such as peppermint oil, lemon oil, and cinnamon sticks. You can also use natural ingredients or make your fly repellent to keep them away.
Make a solution with soap. This is very useful if you want to get rid of gnats. This cleanser will not only drive the gnats away but will also kill them gnats.
- Blend 2 Tbsp lemon-scented liquid dish cleanser with 1 gallon of water in a bottle. You could include a few drops of dish cleanser in the water you use to water your plants.
- On the off chance that you don’t have a lemon-scented dish cleanser, pretty much whatever other sorts will likewise work. Avoid dish cleansers with an excess of unforgiving chemicals since these may harm the plant.
- Drench the plant with this arrangement. Spray plague plants’ soil, leaves, and stems with sudsy water.
- Wash the leaves. After an hour, mist the leaves and stems from the plant with fresh and clean water.
Note: If you do not wash the leaves with fresh water, the cleanser could cause harm to the plant.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Most gnats are pulled into the odor of apple cider vinegar. To make this trap, follow the following procedures:
- Take the container and add approximately 10 – 20 ml of apple cider vinegar. Include 5 to 7 drops of dish cleanser. Mix the blend so that the dish cleanser blends well with the vinegar.
- After this, make some holes in the lid. Put the cover on the container and place this trap in the infested area.
Note: Apple cider vinegar attracts gnats. You will see the result within a week.
Try Alcohol Solution
Alcohol also works excellently for killing gnats.
- Mix rubbing alcohol or drinking liquor with water in a spray bottle.
- Blend 1/2 container of vodka with 1/2 mug of water.
- Alternatively, blend one container of rubbing alcohol with 1 quart of water.
Note: As a third choice, you can blend 1 tbsp vinegar with 1 tsp of wine and one glass of water. Place this trap in the infested area.
Get Rid of Gnats with Vegetable Oil
Pour oil into your drain. If you have flies originating from the garbage disposal, pour 1/4 glass of vegetable oil into the channel.
- Apply the vegetable oil around the edge of the channel to float down into the funnel, sticking to the sides.
- Tape the channel shut. Place a few pieces of clear tape over the channel, sticky-side down, fixing it off.
- Permit the tape to stay on the channel for approximately 24 hours.
- Uproot the tape the next day. Peel off every segment of tape the following day. Gnats need to be stuck to the base.
- If you don’t get any gnats along these lines, you can try once more, leaving a little hole of open space in the layer of tape. Sometimes, bugs won’t fly upward unless they feel a draft of air originating from the opening.
Note: Repeat this process until you no more detect any gnats leaving the drain.
Egg Bait Trap
This trap is especially compelling against eye gnats. You could utilize this trap outside, which will discharge a dreadful scent.
- Split four eggs in the 1-gallon compartment and fill the holder with water. Blend the substance altogether. Fill the 1-liter containers to around 1/4 with the arrangement. Instantly spare the remaining arrangement in the icebox.
- Punch approximately 5 to 10 holes in the container and hang these jugs 3 to 5 feet starting from the earliest stage of your greenery enclosure. Check the containers regularly, and you will discover heaps of dead-eye gnats.
Note: Change the mixture every 15 days.
Gnats do not contain the scent of vanilla. You can apply vanilla anti-agents over your body’s uncovered zones to verify that gnats do not assault them.
To make the anti-agents, you must purchase pure vanilla extract from the business sector. Verify that the vanilla extract that you have brought is sugarless. After this, take 10 ml of vanilla concentrate and blend it with 10 ml of water.
Blend the arrangement so that the vanilla and water get blended appropriately. At that point, plunge a cotton ball into the arrangement and apply the blend over the uncovered zones of your body utilizing the cotton ball.
Note: Please note that high centralizations of vanilla may bring about skin bothering. It is ideal for testing the arrangement by applying it less over the skin before utilizing it.
Citronella Oil Spray
Many flies, including gnats, hate Citronella oil, so you can set up a shower from Citronella oil to deflect gnats.
- To make this spray, blend some water with two spoons of oil, including 3 – 6 drops of dish cleanser. Pour the blend into the shower jug, and you are prepared with your own particular hostile-to-gnat characteristic spray.
- You can spray this blend around your home, close to your plants, or close waste jars.
Note: The best thing about the blend is that it is safe for your pets or plants, leaving a lovely citrus-like smell around the home.
Dry Out the Soil
Overwatering the houseplants is the primary source of gnats as their hatchings develop in a wet environment.
An ideal way to dispose of gnats is to dry out the dirt of plants before watering them once more.
Note: The dry soil kills hatchlings and hinders the development of gnats.
Splendid hues and the sugary smell pull creepy crawls towards them. A handcrafted gnat trap anticipates the successive event of these dreadful creatures.
Cut a couple of bits of yellow plastic and apply nectar to make the parasite gnats stick to it. Place them on or close to the houseplants to get these irritating flies.
Note: You can likewise utilize petroleum jelly to give that sticky impact; honey is more compelling because of its sweetness.
Placing Plants in New Pot
As the dirt ages, it tends to hold a considerable measure of dampness in it. Consequently, replanting the house plants in another pot of soil may spare them from gnat assault.
Uproot the old soil and verify you don’t hurt the roots. On the other hand, take out the highest layer of soil, as the eggs are laid on this layer.
Note: Try to keep the soil dry to get rid of gnats.
Gnats love bananas. You can utilize banana cuts as a draw for getting gnats; whatever other natural product can likewise carry out the employment.
Just place the banana or apple cut in a little bowl. Presently take a giant bowl and fill it with a blend of water and fluid dish wash. Place the little bowl inside the bigger one, spread the dishes with a cellophane wrap, and make little gaps to permit gnats to enter. Right now is an ideal opportunity to check dead bodies.
Note: You can try this once a week.
Get Rid of Gnats with Cinnamon
Cinnamon is also known for controlling hatchlings and damping them off. The powdered type of cinnamon is a characteristic fungicide. It eradicates the organism on which hatchlings food and, in this way, controls the development of growth gnats.
Sprinkle the cinnamon powder on the ranch range and watch out for the outcomes.
Note: Repeat this remedy each week until the issue proceeds.
It is an oxidant that eliminates microorganisms. Use fade to get out all channels and sink territories.
Ensure you do not sprinkle water promptly in the wake of pouring fade in the sink and depletes. Let fade do its work throughout the night.
Note: You can do this weekly.
It is just as destructive to creepy crawlies as it is to people.
Blend alcohol and water in 1:2 proportions. Fill it in a shower jug, and squirt it on the plants each third day. If the arrangement does not cover all plants in the greenhouse, you can place it in a holder and spot it in the patio nursery to pull in gnats.
Note: Before the gushing arrangement of the whole plant, test it to ensure it does not damage plants.
Tobacco draws the consideration of tiny gnats. As smoking is damaging to human health, so are gnats.
Place the tobacco of 2 to 3 cigarettes in a dish close to the kitchen sink or at spots where gnats immerge for the most part.
Note: This cure will resultantly slaughter gnats.
Use Baking Soda
Baking soda is enough to make a man entranced. Have you ever considered utilizing it like a gnat repellent? Yes, you can make it at home.
Take four tsp baking soda, one tsp of fluid dish wash, and 1 gallon of water. Blend it well and spray on beset verdure or earth for the best results.
Note: Try it once a week.
It can be utilized to avert gnats, pulling in the bugs with its pleasant aroma.
Place a wipe-absorbed lavender oil in a dish. Placed it in your living zone.
On the other hand, put a lavender plant in your greenhouse around the sitting zone.
Note: Put dried lavender close to the window sills.
If you are worn out on contemplating how to dispose of gnats in the house, this solution will work, without a doubt. Microscopic organisms and different bugs additionally feast upon yeast.
Bring a dish loaded with some yeast, sugar, and water. Keep this blend at suspected spots, and you will see countless make-up for lost time.
Note: Try this once a week.
Large portions of you are still uncertain about the best way to dispose of gnats. For this, make this scrumptious flypaper to give gnats a special treat.
Take ¼ glass of maple syrup and 1 tbsp each of chestnut and granulated sugar. Mix all fixings legitimately. Presently take the pieces of chestnut paper and extend the blend over them. Give it a chance to retain overnight.
Note: Hang these papers around the contaminated spots.
Like sticks and jelly, sweet substances can likewise be utilized to avoid gnats.
Take the jelly jug when discharged and fill ¼ of it with water. Blend well and make openings in its top adequate to permit gnats to enter.
Note: Gnats will pull towards the jug and die after entering it.
Use Garlic to Get Rid of Gnats
Garlic is a viable mosquito repellent. You can utilize it to make a greenhouse spray to offer the plants some assistance with getting free of these frightening vermin.
Take 4 bits of garlic and drench them in one tsp of mineral oil for an entire day. Strain oil the following day and include one tsp of fluid dish wash.
Note: Exchange this blend to a spray container and spritz it on your outside plants in the wake of shaking admirably.
UV Light Zapper
A few individuals have recommended that bug critics who radiate UV light are exceptionally viable against most gnats, both gnawing and non-gnawing species.
You need to introduce the critic and switch it “On,” It is prepared to guard you against gnats.
Dispensable Gnat trap
Most importantly, dispensable fly traps are successful against many fly sorts. These expendable fly traps contain some attractant that is in a dormant state. When you fill these traps with water, the attractant gets enacted.
It is toxic to people, so guarantee that you leave the smelling salts to weaken for a few hours before utilizing the sink. WithoutYoukewise use weakened fade, as fe without smelling saltsw indsaltsls have achieved by using bleach rather than ammonia.
Foggers are presumably the best arrangement to manage an intense gnat infestation. They create a thick haze that saturates foliage, breaks, and other concealing spots, decreasing the gnat populace. It is compelling against gnats, mosquitoes, flies, and moths.
Fungus gnats pass on when they interact with hydrogen peroxide. To make this strategy work, you can take a conventional 3% arrangement of hydrogen peroxide and blend it with water as three sections of water with one portion of hydrogen peroxide.
Water your plants with this blend as you ordinarily do. This will slaughter the gnat hatchlings and eggs; however, it will not impact your plant unless you expand its concentration.
How to Prevent Gnats in House?
Here are some quick tips to prevent gnats in the house.
- Keep your home clean.
- Put curtains over doors and windows.
- Clean the kitchen quickly after use.
- Keep the rubbish in a lidded dustbin.
- Cover all foods appropriately with a lid.
- Continue expelling the garbage from the house.
- Remove wasted vegetables and fruits immediately.
- Keep fresh foods and vegetables in the refrigerator.
- An electric fly killer can be fitted in the house.
- Use a vacuum cleaner to evacuate them.
How to Prevent Gnats in Yard?
Here are some quick tips to prevent gnats in the yard.
- Gnats breed in moist soil and dark places, so keeping your yard as dry as possible will go a long way toward keeping these pests away.
- Avoid watering your plants during the hottest hours of the day, and moisturize your soil deeply rather than with shallow streams.
- Removing any puddles or other sources of standing water from your garden will also go a long way toward preventing an infestation.
- Finally, keeping your yard clean of fallen leaves and debris will help keep the gnats away.
- Decrease the amount of fertilizer you use during the fall and winter. While fertilizer is excellent for your plants, it also makes great food for gnats, and they may also be drawn to your garden during the fall and winter due to the lower temperatures.