An upset stomach is a common condition. Almost everyone suffers from this condition at some point in their lives. In most cases, stomach upset is caused by inflammation of the stomach wall, eating too fast, or drinking too much alcohol. However, some serious conditions may also be caused by some underlying health conditions like indigestion.
If your stomach upset persists for a long time or the pain is severe, especially when some symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, and fever occur. Please consult your doctor as soon as possible. In addition, if the symptoms are relatively mild, you can also try some natural remedies. Although these methods are slower to take effect, they are relatively safe and effective.
Common Causes of Upset Stomach
There are different reasons why upset stomach occurs, here are some common causes include:
- Drinking or eating too much
- Allergy to certain food
- Food poisoning may be due to bacteria, viruses, or parasites that can be found in food.
- Indigestion – This is when your body is unable to process the food that you have eaten.
Natural Home Remedies for Upset Stomach
Chamomile tea contains some components that can reduce stomach lining inflammation, which may be the primary reason you feel some pain. The smooth muscle of your upper digestive tract will also be relaxed so that the pain will be lessened considerably.
- Pour boiling water over your prepared tea bag of chamomile.
- Cover your mug.
- Let the tea bag steep for about 15 – 20 minutes.
- You can let the tea become a bit colder by waiting for a few more minutes before you can start sipping slowly.
Rice tea can be beneficial in settling your stomach, especially if it is upset because of something you ate.
- To prepare rice tea, you need to boil a half cup of rice in water.
- Wait for about 15 minutes.
- Strain the rice and get all of the rice tea.
- You can add a bit of honey to make it taste better, but you can also take it independently.
- While it is still warm, sip slowly.
You will always hear that eating burnt toast is not good for you because it might contain carcinogens that can eventually contribute to cancer. However, when you have an upset stomach, you can always rely on burnt toast as this can absorb the toxins that have caused your stomach to be upset in the first place.
- Toast a slice of bread until they start to turn black.
- You can choose to place a bit of jelly if you cannot taste it.
- Eat it slowly, and it will be useful in calming your upset stomach.
Apple Cider Vinegar
If one item can be considered one of the usual home remedies that you can try at home, it is ACV. This can be used to get rid of hiccups, especially if the hiccups have plagued you for quite some time. If you have a sore throat, this can help get rid of your sore throat as well. This can also get rid of your upset stomach because it will ease indigestion.
- Mix a tablespoon of ACV with warm water.
- You can also add a tablespoon of honey to make it taste better, and at the same time, honey can also help give relief to an upset stomach.
- Drink the mixture while the water is still warm.
The power of ginger to heal a lot of health conditions is well known since ancient times. People have used it to get rid of feelings of nausea. Some reports are stating that ginger can also be very useful in getting rid of an upset stomach. Ginger also has non-inflammatory properties that can help eliminate the stomach lining’s inflammation that may be causing the upset stomach.
- Slice ginger into small pieces.
- You can start chewing on the ginger slowly.
- If you cannot taste ginger, you may choose to make ginger tea instead.
- Place some slices of ginger in a cup of hot water.
- Let it steep for about 5 – 10 minutes.
- You can add honey if you want to improve its taste.
Many people are familiar with the BRAT diet, especially if they have encountered diarrhea before. BRAT is typically composed of Banana, Rice, Applesauce, and Toast – these are the food products that will be eaten to get rid of an upset stomach. If you feel sick because of your upset stomach, but you know that you have to eat something, this may be the best one for you to try.
- You can start by over-testing the toast.
- You can add a bit of applesauce to make it taste better.
- If you cannot eat rice alone, you may add another food product that is not greasy or oily, which can further aggravate your stomach’s condition.
- Eat ripe bananas. The ripeness of the banana is essential. If you eat an unripe banana, this may aggravate your condition further.
This is very useful in getting rid of various stomach conditions, and your upset stomach is no match for peppermint. The menthol of the peppermint can act as an analgesic. It can also help get rid of the pain.
- You may take the leaves of the Peppermint plant and place them in a cup of boiling water.
- Let the leaves steep for a few minutes with the mug covered.
- Strain the leaves, and you can start enjoying your peppermint tea. If in case you do not have peppermint, you can also make use of spearmint.
- Another option is to smell peppermint extract if you do not have access to leaves or if you do have leaves, but you have no time to make tea; you can chew on the peppermint leaves to get relief.
What is usually the remedy that people think about whenever they encounter pain? It is the use of the heating pad. If you do not have a heating pad, you can also use a water bottle and fill it in with hot water to be applied to your abdominal area.
- Place your heating pad on your stomach area and lie down for a while.
- Keep still and try to relax because the more you get stressed, your condition will aggravate.
- You will start to feel your condition improve afterward.
If you are suffering from indigestion, this is the right home remedy that you can try for your upset stomach. Lemon contains acid, which can further stimulate the construction of hydrochloric acid. Hydrochloric acid is in charge of breaking down the food in the stomach. You need to mix lemon with water to hydrate your body too.
- Prepare a whole lemon and squeeze it to get the juice.
- Mix the lemon juice with water. If you want the taste of lemon to be evident, place enough water to dilute it a bit.
- Sip slowly, and you will start to feel its effects after some time.
If indigestion causes your upset stomach, you can choose fennel seeds to help your body digest the food you have eaten faster. Fennel seeds contain anethole, an organic substance in the form of volatile oil that can help the production of digestive juices so that the digestion process can also be faster. If in case your stomach lining is inflamed, it can also act as an anti-inflammatory agent.
- Do remember that if you are pregnant, you are not recommended to take Fennel seeds.
- Prepare a teaspoon of Fennel Seeds.
- Chew on it slowly.
If you would like to try something known to work in getting rid of an upset stomach, you can try to consume yogurt. Your choice of yogurt is crucial. You need to choose one that contains live bacteria cultures.
The most common live bacteria culture can be found in the Lactobacillus. The live bacteria can improve the number of good bacteria found in your stomach so that digestion will be faster.
- You are recommended to eat plain yogurt and add some fresh fruits if you want it to taste better.
- About 2 – 3 cups of yogurt are recommended per day.
- You may also include yogurt as part of your daily diet. You may eat this instead of other desserts when you are trying to lose weight.
When it comes to bananas, many people are confused about whether it is good for digestion. Some say that they become constipated after eating bananas, while some swear that their bowel movements improve tremendously because of eating bananas. The important thing here is the ripeness of the banana. The riper the banana is, the better that it will help problems with indigestion and loose stools.
- Mash a ripe banana and place buttermilk on it to make it more useful.
- Do this twice a day.
- Do this for three days, and you will notice that you will have a more regular bowel movement.
If you are trying to get rid of your upset stomach or are currently suffering from gastritis, you may need Fenugreek Seeds to make you feel better. Fenugreek Seeds contain mucilage in your stools, so you will have harder stools that are also more regular.
- You need to swallow a whole teaspoon of fenugreek seeds.
- To help you swallow, you may follow it up with water.
- For best results, you can follow up with a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds with yogurt.
Cinnamon may be best known as a very fragrant spice that is usually added to many desserts, but this can also be used to treat your upset stomach. It can stimulate your digestive system to pass stools easier, which can lessen the discomfort you are feeling because of your condition.
- If you have cinnamon powder, you can place a small amount of the powder on a whole cup of hot water.
- Let it steep for about 5 minutes.
- Stir it before you start sipping slowly.
- You can drink this type of tea about 2 – 4 times a day for a couple of days.
Activated charcoal has the same effect that burnt toast can give, so you know that it will be instrumental in getting rid of your upset stomach. This is best if you suspect that you are having stomach problems because you ate or drank. The activated charcoal will search for the toxins causing the issues and remove them from your body.
- You may need to ask your doctor for the right amount of activated charcoal that you can take a day.
- Use this every day for three days.
- Stop using after three days, as this can cause problems with how the body absorbs nutrients from the food you eat.
There are a lot of home remedies that you can try. What do you think will be the best one for you? Feel free to share your thoughts and experiences.