Hives, also known as urticaria, are a common skin condition triggered by various factors, including stress, allergies, and infections. They appear as raised, itchy, and red bumps on the skin that can be incredibly uncomfortable and frustrating to deal with.
If you’re experiencing hives, you’re not alone. It’s estimated that up to 20% of people will experience hives at some point in their lives. The good news is that there are several effective ways to get rid of hives and alleviate the symptoms associated with this condition.
From over-the-counter medications to natural remedies, there are plenty of options available to help you find relief. In this article, we’ll explore some of the most effective ways to get rid of hives and get back to feeling like yourself again.
Common symptoms of hives
1. Itching: This is the most common symptom of hives. It is an intense, uncomfortable itching sensation that can be localized or spread across the body. It can range from mild to severe and can last for minutes or hours.
2. Redness: This symptom is an inflammatory response that appears as an area of redness and swelling on the skin. It is often accompanied by itchiness and can be localized or spread across the body.
3. Swelling: Hives often cause an area of swelling due to the body’s inflammatory response. This swelling can vary in size, shape, and intensity and can last for minutes or hours.
4. Blistering: This is a symptom that can occur with hives and appears as small, raised bumps on the skin. They can be filled with fluid and can be itchy or painful.
5. Burning: This symptom can be a result of the inflammatory response caused by hives. It can range from mild to severe and can last for minutes or hours.
6. Rash: This is an inflammatory response that appears as an area of redness, bumpiness, and itchiness on the skin. It can range from mild to severe and can last for minutes or hours.
Common Causes of Hives on skin:
1. Allergies: Allergies are the most common cause of hives, and the resulting itchy skin rash can range from mild to severe. Allergens that can cause hives include foods, animal dander, pollen, dust, latex, and medications.
2. Infections: Viral and bacterial infections, especially those that affect the skin, can cause hives. Parasites and fungal infections can also be responsible. The hives react to the body’s attempt to fight off the infection.
3. Physical Stimuli: Hives can also be caused by physical contacts, such as pressure on the skin, direct contact with a cold or hot surface, and physical exercise.
4. Emotional Stress: Stress and anxiety can lead to the release of histamine, which can cause hives. In some cases, simply being aware of the hives can increase stress and make the hives worse.
5. Sun Exposure: Sun exposure can trigger hives in some people, especially those with sensitivity to sunlight. Sunburns can also lead to hives, as the body’s response to the burn can cause inflammation and itchy skin.
6. Medications: Certain medications, such as antibiotics, can cause hives as a side effect. Hives can also be caused by an allergic reaction to an over-the-counter or prescription drug.
7. Heat: Heat can also cause hives in some people. Symptoms may include red, swollen, itchy welts that appear suddenly after exposure to excessive heat. Cooling measures, such as taking a cool bath or shower, can help reduce the symptoms of hives caused by heat.
10 Best Home Remedies For Hives
Here are the 10 best home remedies to treat hives rash fast.
1. Relieve Allergic Reactions
The first thing you must do to alleviate the symptoms of hives is to determine the underlying cause. It could be specific foods, substances, heat, or stress.
- If you suspect that your hives occur due to a particular food, avoid eating that and see rashes will subside.
- Perform allergy tests to reveal your triggers to avoid them as much as possible.
- A food diary can also help you determine foods that trigger your allergies.
- It is essential to relax when addressing allergies, as stress can worsen the condition.
How to get rid of the allergic reaction hives
- Use lukewarm to treat cold hives.
- Use a cold shower or cool compresses to get rid of Heat urticaria.
- Wear loose-fitting clothes.
- Try to use gentle and mild soap to clean the face.
- Try to avoid allergenic foods. These foods include milk, peanuts, pine nuts, eggs, wheat, oats, barley, shellfish, and fish.
- In addition, eat more vitamins, such as B12, C, and vitamin D. These can increase your immunity and reduce the chance of allergies.
2. Colloidal Oatmeal
Oatmeal is a beneficial way to treat hives on the skin. It contains anti-inflammatory, anti-irritating, and soothing properties to help you relieve redness and itching caused by hives. This method can accelerate the healing process of your skin.
- Oatmeal bath. Combine two cups of ground oatmeal with one baking soda into a cheesecloth or stocking. Use a rubber band to tie it up. Place the oats in the running water as you fill up your bath. Soak your body in this water for at least minutes. Ensure the water is warm, not too hot or cold, as extreme temperatures can aggravate the condition.
- Oatmeal paste. Another option is to make a paste by mixing two tablespoons of cornstarch, two cups of oatmeal, and enough water. Apply this paste to the affected area and let it sit for 20 minutes before rinsing off with lukewarm water.
Follow any of these treatments once daily.
3. Baking Soda
One of the best solutions to treat hives is baking soda. It contains anti-inflammatory properties that can soothe the skin and relieve inflammation caused by hives. It has been used for centuries as a cleanser and soother.
- Bath. To use this treatment, fill your bathtub with warm water and add one-half cup of baking soda. Mix it well and immerse your body in the solution for 20 minutes.
- Paste. Alternatively, mix two tablespoons of baking soda with enough water to create a thick paste. Apply this to the affected areas for 10 minutes before washing off with lukewarm water.
Note: Follow any of these treatments once daily. If you have sensitive skin, do not try this method because baking soda is irritating.
4. Cold Compress
Many experts recommend cold compress as one of the best hive treatments. The cold temperature aids in shrinking blood vessels and prevents histamine release. This method will alleviate the inflammation, swelling, and itching sensation. This is the best way to treat heat hives.
- Cool shower or bath. Take a cold shower or bath to soothe inflamed skin caused by hives.
- Cold compress. Another option is to wrap some ice cubes in a clean cloth or grab a bag of frozen vegetables and place it over the affected areas several times a day.
Note: Do not put ice directly on your skin; otherwise, it will hurt around the skin.
5. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is well-known for its healing and soothing properties, making it one of the natural solutions for hives relief. Before using this treatment, consider doing a skin patch test by applying aloe vera gel. If you do not experience skin irritation within a day, the product should be safe for your skin.
- Topical application. Cut a fresh leaf of aloe vera gel and scoop out its gel. Apply it to the affected areas and let it sit for 15 minutes. Repeat the application several times a day to accelerate the healing process of your skin.
- Aloe vera juice. Another option is to drink two tablespoons of aloe vera juice daily to enhance the body’s immune system.
Note: Children and pregnant or nursing women should not try this method.
6. Witch Hazel
Witch hazel contains tannins that can help relieve irritation and inflammation caused by hives and other skin conditions. It also holds powerful antioxidant and astringent properties that can help you eliminate hives.
- Add five to ten grams of witch hazel bark to one cup of lukewarm water.
- Mash it up and transfer the mixture to the pot.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Remove from heat and strain.
- Allow the mixture to cool down before applying it to your skin.
Follow this treatment a few times a day for 20 minutes.
Mint provides a cooling effect, making it one of the popular remedies for eliminating hives and other skin problems. This herb also contains antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that can quickly alleviate burning and itching sensations.
- Mint wash. To use this method, steep two teaspoons of fresh mint leaves in a cup of boiled water for about five minutes. Strain and store the liquid in the fridge. Use this mint water to rinse the affected areas. Repeat the application several times daily.
- Mint drink. Another option is to boil one teaspoon of fresh mint leaves. Add two teaspoons of sugar and let it boil for five minutes. Strain and let it cool down for a bit. Consume this drink once or twice a day.
8. Apple Cider Vinegar
Another effective remedy for hives on the skin is apple cider vinegar. It contains antihistamine properties that can alleviate the swelling and inflammation of the skin caused by hives. Apple cider vinegar can also help regulate your immune system’s response.
- Apple cider vinegar bath. A relaxing way to use ACV is by adding two cups to a bathtub filled with warm water. Soak your body in the solution for 15 minutes daily.
- Drink apple cider vinegar. Another option is to mix two teaspoons of ACV in a glass of warm water. Add a few drops of fresh lemon juice. Drink this twice or thrice a day.
- Wash with ACV. You can also dilute apple cider vinegar with equal amounts of water. Wash the affected areas with the solution three times a day.
9. Vitamin C
Many people are not aware of how vitamin C can help get rid of hives. Aside from the fact that this vitamin is perfect for the skin and has many sound effects, Vitamin C also reduces the possible effects of histamine and helps relieve the discomfort you feel when you have the condition.
- Mix in Vitamin C and Zinc together.
- Apply the mixture topically on the skin.
- Wait for the mixture to become absorbed by the skin.
- This can be done about twice a day.
Follow any of these treatments to alleviate the symptoms of hives.
10. Green Tea
Green tea is already well known to have a lot of good benefits. Since its benefits are well known, it is not surprising that many people consume it daily. Green tea is mainly suitable for hives because of catechins that can improve the body overall.
- Choose whether you would like fresh or dried green tea.
- Brew the tea for about 10 minutes.
- Place a small amount of honey to taste.
- Consume green tea about 2 – 3 times a day.
How to get rid of the hive with lifestyle change?
1. Reduce Stress
Stress can worsen the symptoms of hives, so managing stress levels can help reduce the chances of an outbreak. Stress-reducing activities like yoga and meditation, as well as relaxation techniques like deep breathing, can help keep stress levels down and reduce the likelihood of hives.
2. Eat Healthy Foods
Eating a healthy, balanced diet can help reduce the symptoms of hives. Eating plenty of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins can help reduce inflammation and improve overall health.
3. Exercise Regularly
Regular exercise can help reduce the symptoms of hives. Walking, jogging, swimming, and biking can help reduce stress and improve circulation, which can help reduce the chances of an outbreak.
4. Get Plenty of Sleep
Getting enough sleep is important for overall health, and it can also help reduce the symptoms of hives. Aim to get at least seven to eight hours of sleep every night.
Over-the-counter Treatments for hives
If natural remedies are not enough to help your skin condition, you can use over-the-counter treatments.
Antihistamines are medications that block the effects of histamine, a chemical released in response to an allergic reaction. They help relieve the symptoms of hives, including itching, swelling, and redness. Most antihistamines are available over the counter and come in various forms, such as tablets, capsules, or liquids.
Corticosteroids are steroid hormones that help reduce inflammation. They can be taken orally or applied topically. Corticosteroids are available in over-the-counter forms, such as creams and ointments, or by prescription.
3. Calamine lotion
Calamine lotion is a topical medication made from zinc oxide and iron oxide. It is used to relieve the itching and discomfort of hives. It can be applied directly to the affected area and washed off after a few hours.
4. Topical anti-itch creams
Topical anti-itch creams contain ingredients such as hydrocortisone, pramoxine, or menthol to help reduce itching. These creams are available over the counter and are usually applied directly to the affected area.
5. Oral antihistamines
Oral antihistamines are another medication that can be used to treat hives. These medications work by blocking the effects of histamine, a chemical released in response to an allergic reaction. Oral antihistamines are available in over-the-counter forms, such as tablets, capsules, or liquids.
When to see a doctor?
If you experience hives that last more than 6 weeks, it is important to seek medical attention. This is considered a chronic condition and should be monitored by a healthcare professional.
Additionally, if the hives become more severe or spread all over your body, it is a good idea to see a doctor. Furthermore, if you experience any of the following symptoms along with hives, you should see a doctor immediately: difficulty breathing, chest pain, dizziness, or swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Lastly, if your hives are accompanied by difficulty breathing, chest pain, or swelling of the face, lips, or tongue, seek medical attention immediately, as this could be a sign of a severe allergic reaction.
18 thoughts on “How to Get Rid of Hives:18 Best Remedies”
Thanks for such a great post! 100 % natural therapy is really the main and permanent solution for Hives.
I’ve suffered with hives for years until discovered the apple cider vinegar. A very effective treatment. This home remedy literally saved my life and cured my hives.
How did apple cider vinegar worked for you to get rid of hives
please help me
Mix one part apple cider vinegar with two parts water to create a liquid mixture. Use apple cider vinegar and cornstarch to create a paste. Apply the liquid mixture or paste to your hives.
Do u drink it or rub it on your skin
Rub it on your skin
I’m subscribing i have to see more posts from you :D
I am so grateful for your remedies. it helped me too! I never had a history of allergies. I started having it just recently when I eat poultry products or seafoods. Thanks again.
I get hives from a red meat allergy, broght on by a tick bite years ago. And they cover my entire body. I like the sound of the apple cider remedy but can’t really apply that to my entire body.. What else works fast? Seems most of the other remedies are regimental..
how did you get rid of your hives?
I recently got covered all over with hives and dont know what is causing it…. please help I have had it for two months went to the doctors but nothing helps.
I want a better solution for urticaria, that i am suffering from last 2 months. May it be due to garlic, onion, tomatoes, fernented foods, curds, buttetmilk….etc.What should i do?
A lot of things can cause it. Thyroid tests are easy to conduct so get onto your Doctor and get it tested.
I’ve been going through some stress lately, but I also suffer from numerous allergies. In the past couple of days, my throat and lymph nodes have swollen and I broke out into hives on various places on my body. (My thighs, one finger, my wrists, and lower back) I also have a sore throat and very bad congestion. I have been taking Benedryl and Mucinex, but the hives still seem to be spreading. Is there something specific that you recommend, or is this serious enough that I should go to the emergency room?
This is serious.You’d better choose a good hospital for a comprehensive examination.
I’ve been going through stress for the last 2 months (Mom-Cancer-Chemo) and since we found out she had to go in for surgery i broke out on my chest in hives (thing V-Neck area) no where else. I drink green tea regularly have tried ointments and creams and it isnt getting much better. I dont know how to free my mind from worry. Please help.
Don’t worry.Take a break to call a friend and talk about your problems. Good relationships with friends and loved ones are important to any healthy lifestyle.
you may also try crushed garlic ,it is also very helpfull,i normaly use it and it helps me alot.