When the inflammation in the vocal cords (larynx) occur, there’s a disease called “Laryngitis” that occurs. It is most often caused by the viral or bacterial infection or excessive strain on the vocal cords.
A weak or hoarse voice is the prominent and most common symptom of Laryngitis. It can sometimes reach to a condition where people are unable to talk properly. It is mostly accompanied by a dry cough or a sore throat.
In majority cases of Laryngitis, this condition leaves no serious consequences and is an acute condition that heals completely with time. There are some simple and completely natural home remedies that can restore your voice more quickly and easily and can help you get rid of the pain in larynx. This problem sometimes can be recovered up to two days or maximum up to 2 weeks. You need to consult your doctor if your problem persists longer than two weeks as you surely are suffering from chronic laryngitis.
Top 10 Home Remedies for Laryngitis
- Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar can be used to cure laryngitis because it has the microbial properties that play a major role in fighting infections.
- In half cup of water, mix two spoons of the unfiltered and raw apple cider vinegar. Add to it one tablespoon of honey to it and mix again. You can add cayenne pepper too if you want to increase the effectiveness of this home remedy. You must take this drink twice a day.
- Mix one tablespoon of unfiltered and raw apple cider vinegar and prepare a solution in a glass of warm water. You will have to gargle several times a day with the solution until you get relief.
- Onion Syrup
Onion syrup is one of the most effective natural cures for the larynx inflammation and acts as a natural expectorant.
- Take three to four medium-sized onions and cut them into equal pieces. Prepare a thick solution with a syrup-like consistency after simmering the pieces in four cups of water.
- In a glass of warm water, mix five tablespoons of the onion syrup. Add a few drops of lemon juice and a tablespoon of honey in this solution.
- Slowly sip the mixture.
Ginger is beneficial as it soothes the inflamed mucous membranes of the larynx and is really good for your throat.
- In a covered pan of water, you have to boil fresh and thinly sliced ginger root for ten minutes. Then, the liquid will be strained and left to cool at the room temperature. You can also sweeten this solution by adding honey in it or you can also add some lemon juice. In order to get the effective results, you have to take this ginger tea several times per day.
- You should also try to suck a small amount of candied ginger throughout the day. You can also attempt to eat some thin slices of totally fresh ginger root.
- Warm Salt Water
Warm salt water is helpful and is extremely beneficial in the healing of your sore throat and inflamed vocal cords. This warm water is also effective in killing the bacteria.
- In a cup of warm water, you have to add one-half teaspoon of salt. You have to gargle with this solution several times a day in order to get the results.
- Lemon Juice
The lemon juice has the amazing ability to relieve various symptoms of laryngitis. Lemon juice is acidic in nature and is really effective in killing the viruses and bacteria. The greatest advantage of lemon juice is that it can help you lose the mucus.
- In a glass of warm water, squeeze the juice of the lemon.
- Sea salt will be added to this mixture in the amount of one-half teaspoon (you can also add table salt if you do not have sea salt)
- You have to gargle with this solution many times a day in order to get rid of laryngitis.
Garlic is very beneficial for the treatment of Laryngitis as it acts as a natural expectorant. Garlic is capable of killing viruses and bacteria due to the antimicrobial property it has.
- In this method, you have to chew a clove of raw garlic and then swallow it.
- There’s another option of having the garlic as treatment of Laryngitis. In a jar, place chopped garlic cloves. Add the distilled water and cover the cloves with unfiltered and raw apple cider vinegar. In order to mix the contents completely shake the jar thoroughly and leave the jar for about 4 hours. Before storing the mixture in the refrigerator, add some raw honey to it. You have to take 1-3 teaspoons of this effective garlic syrup after every 6 to 8 hours in order to cure laryngitis.
- Slippery Elm
When we mix the Slippery elm with water it forms a gel-like a mixture as it contains mucilage. Thus, slippery elm is really beneficial in relieving the throat inflammation and irritation.
- In water, put a small quantity of slippery elm. The water will immediately start turning into a gel-like a mixture. In order to relieve your sore throat, you have to take this gel several times a day.
- Slippery elm lozenges also serve the same purpose and you can try them too.
(Note: It must be noted that this gel is not beneficial and is not recommended to the breastfeeding and pregnant women)
Honey is one of the best medicines for laryngitis. It creates a soothing feel and coats your throat. In this way, it can be really helpful in soothing an irritated throat.
- The first and simplest method to treat laryngitis is by swallowing the raw honey many times per day.
- A honey tea made with lemon and honey can be very effective for the treatment of a sore throat. In order to make this tea, you have to take one-half lemon and extract its juice. Then, in a cup of hot water, you will add two tablespoons of raw honey. You can also try to add a little amount of cayenne pepper into this tea. This can be helpful in enhancing its effectiveness. Take this honey tea twice a day.
- Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus oil contains one of the best and effective ingredients that are required to treat laryngitis and in soothing the sore throat. It can do so because of the antibacterial and antiviral properties that it has.
- One simple and best method to take eucalyptus oil is by inhaling the steam of this oil. In a large pan of boiling water, you have to add a few drops of eucalyptus oil. Inhale the steam of this boiling water for about 10 min minimum after covering your head with a towel. You have to repeat this steaming process twice a day.
- The cough syrups and lozenges that contain the approximate amount of eucalyptus oil can also use as a treatment for laryngitis.
The anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties of Licorice are greatly beneficial and effective in relieving the throat irritation. You can also get rid of mucus as this licorice also acts as a natural expectorant.
- In a cup of water, you have to boil one teaspoon of dried licorice for about five minutes. You have to take this licorice tea thrice a day after straining it.
- Licorice lozenges can also be tried to relieve a sore throat.
(Note: The people with the health problems like kidney diseases, high blood pressure, heart diseases or liver diseases are recommended not to take licorice as it interacts with certain medication. The breastfeeding and pregnant women may also not take it as it is not suitable for them)
- It is strictly suggested to the patients of laryngitis that they should speak gently and softly while dealing with this disease. You must not whisper as it will increase the strain on your vocal cords.
- Your larynx must need some hours of rest in a busy day. So you must relax to give your vocal chords some rest.
- You will feel irritated in this disease, but you should take care to avoid clearing your throat again and again. It can increase the risk of a sore throat.
- Just as water is essential for your body and health in all the ways, similarly water can also serve as a remedy to treat your sore throat and laryngitis. It will also keep your body and throat hydrated. You should take care that while you’re dealing with Laryngitis, you must avoid taking too much caffeine and alcohol.
- You have to avoid smoking and passive smoking too as it will increase your pain.
- In this disease, you should avoid all the kinds of upper respiratory infections.
- In order to add moisture to the air, you should use vaporizer or humidifier.
- You can correct any kind of abnormal speech patterns and can analyze the way you use your voice by getting a vocal therapy.