What do you see when you look at your face in the morning? Are you bothered with the pimples on various parts of your face? Perhaps you have it in some parts of your body as well and you do not know how you can effectively remove them. This article shows you how to use honey to remove acne at home.
There are different things that you can do to get rid of acne. You can go to a dermatologist and ask for different acne treatments. It is likely that you will be recommended to do some facials and anti-acne masks. There are also other treatments that will cost a lot of money that may or may not be effective in the long run. If you do not have a lot of money, you can try out some home remedies and one of the most effective home remedies against acne is honey.
If you have always been fond of doing home remedies, you will not be surprised to know that honey can be effectively used to get rid of acne. Honey is effective because its properties can be absorbed by the skin readily. At the same time, you can be sure that the treatment of your skin will be harmless and pain-free.
Before discussing how honey can be effective in treating acne, it is only fitting that the reasons for acne will be discussed first.
Common Causes of Acne
The scientific name of common acne is Acne Vulgaris and a lot of people are familiar with this because they have done a lot of research about it. At the very first sign of a pimple on your face, do you immediately search what you can do to get rid of it?
Remember that at some point in time, people will all experience acne but in different forms. Some only get mild forms that will go away over time while others would have severe forms that will be hard to remove. Even if the acne has healed, the scars left behind will be harder to clear from the skin.
The most common cause of acne is the blocking of sebaceous glands. These glands are responsible for the production of sebum and if there are any obstructions, acne will form. Some possible things that can block the sebum are dust, peeled off skin and even makeup.
Other causes of acne are the following
- Hormonal Imbalance – This usually occurs in teenagers as they start to enter puberty. Some hormones may be produced too much and the excess hormones can cause acne.
- Poor Hygiene – It has been mentioned earlier that blocked sebaceous glands can lead to acne. If you do not like washing your face or you go to sleep with your makeup on, your chances of getting acne are higher than those who follow a strict skin cleansing regimen.
- Skin Irritation – There are times when your skin may be irritated because of your hair or because of something that you have eaten. Skin irritation may eventually lead to acne.
Why Honey Can Be Good for Treating Acne
Now that you know the possible causes of acne, you want to jump and get to know the possible solution for it which is honey. Out of all the home remedies for acne, why is honey the most effective one to try?
Honey is considered to be a natural antibiotic which means that if your acne is already infected because of bacteria, you can easily kill the bacteria with the simple use of honey. Honey also contains some anti-inflammatory properties that can reduce the size and the swelling of your pimples making them less visible.
Honey contains a lot of antioxidants which can be good for the skin. Antioxidants are in charge of removing toxins from the skin and body that may cause premature skin aging and other blemishes. At the same time, honey also has a lot of vitamins that the skin needs in order to glow. Unlike other remedies that you can try that will completely dry the skin, honey can help moisturize the skin to keep it soft and glowing.
How Honey Can Be Good for Your Skin
Now that you know how honey can be effective in treating acne, you would like to know how it can be good for your skin. Take note of the following points:
- If you are experiencing some discomforts because of having acne, you can expect that those discomforts will be reduced because of placing acne on the affected portions of your skin.
- The antioxidants in acne do not only work by reducing the toxins found on your skin and body, they also prevent the damage caused by free radicals. Free radicals can be found in the environment.
- You can expect that your wounds caused by acne will heal faster because of honey’s antiseptic properties. You may not know this but honey has its own hydrogen peroxide that can help make the skin heal faster.
- Honey can also help remove acne scars from the skin. There are some people who do not have acne anymore but are plagued with scars. If you have scars due to acne, you can use honey to make them fade faster.
- If you would be taking in honey internally (as in you would not only be putting it on your skin,) there is a chance that you will boost your skin’s immunity so it will not be too sensitive to environmental factors that can cause skin irritation and acne.
Best Types of Honey to Use
If you would look at specialty stores, you will notice that there are different types of honey available. How can you possibly choose the one that will work best for you? There are two types of honey that are most recommended for the healing of acne namely: Raw Honey and Manuka Honey. Get to know the difference between the two below:
This is the type of honey naturally made by bees from the nectar of flowers that they have collected. This type of honey has not been processed in any way. If you would buy processed ones, a lot of the benefits of honey are lost and the taste may be enhanced. You will know if you have raw honey by placing it in water. Place a teaspoon of the honey you purchased in water. If it dissolves, this is processed honey. If it goes directly to the bottom of the glass, you are in luck because you have raw and unprocessed honey.
While raw and unprocessed honey can be good in treating acne, a lot of experts say that Manuka Honey is even better. This is the type of honey taken by bees who only gather honey at Manuka bushes. This type of honey is commonly found in New Zealand and Australia. The main reason why this is more effective than raw honey is that of its antimicrobial properties. You can be sure that the condition of your skin will greatly improve with the use of this type of honey. Just remember that this is more expensive than raw honey but will be worth it once you see its effect on your skin.
How to Use Honey to Remove Acne Naturally
Now that you have enough knowledge about acne and honey, you can now use honey to get rid of your acne and your acne scars. Here are some of the things you can try:
Apply Raw Honey on Your Skin
The honey that you may use for this is the usual raw or manuka honey and this can be very easy to use. Simply do the following:
- Place some honey on your palm and spread.
- Gently place the honey on your acne and acne scars and even on the surrounding skin.
- Leave the honey on your skin for about 30 minutes.
- Wash off the honey on your skin with warm water.
- How many times you need to do this in a week will depend on the severity of your acne. If you have mild acne, you may do this twice a week but if you have severe acne, do this every day.
Cinnamon and Honey
You already know the different things that honey can do for your skin but cinnamon can further improve the benefits because this can help unclog the pores and remove the bacteria causing the acne to appear on your skin in the first place.
- Mix honey with cinnamon powder.
- Make sure that you will mix thoroughly before applying to the affected area of the skin.
- Leave on the skin for about 15 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water.
- If you have severe acne, you may also place this on your face overnight and rinse it off with warm water in the morning.
Honey and Sugar as Scrub
There are times when the skin needs to be exfoliated with natural ingredients that will get rid of the excess skin on the face that may be causing your acne. Mix honey with sugar and you will get a very sweet remedy for your problem.
- Mix honey and brown sugar together.
- Make sure that the sugar is still intact when you apply it on the affected area.
- Gently massage your skin for about 3 – 4 minutes.
- Rinse off afterward with warm water.
- Use this scrub on your face about 2 – 3 times a week.
Strawberries and Honey
Strawberries are not only yummy, they also contain Vitamin C and other antioxidants that can be good for the skin. The high amount of antioxidants in strawberries can help prevent acne breakouts which means that your skin will become smoother and clearer.
- Make sure that your face will be clean.
- Pat your face with a towel so it will be dry before you can place the honey and strawberry mixed together.
- Apply the paste on the affected areas.
- Leave for almost half an hour.
- Rinse with warm water.
- Do not forget to put moisturizer after because you need to leave your skin soft and supple.
- Do this twice a week. You will start to see the difference in a month.
Oatmeal and Honey Scrub
As you know, oatmeal can be a very effective scrub for the skin. It is gentle enough that it will not harm the skin. At the same time, it can help exfoliate the skin while removing the excess oil left behind on your pores.
- Mix oatmeal, honey and add a bit of warm water.
- Apply the paste on the area with acne.
- Gently massage the affected area for about 5 minutes.
- After massaging, leave on the skin for about 15 minutes.
- Rinse the scrub from the skin with warm water. Make sure that the water is only warm and not hot as hot water may be bad for people with sensitive skin.
- Do this regularly until you start seeing results.
Turmeric and Honey
You do know that turmeric comes with a lot of benefits. For the skin, it has anti-inflammatory properties that can effectively get rid of the bacteria causing acne. At the same time, this can help remove the discomfort that you are feeling due to acne.
- Place a bit of honey and mix a small amount of turmeric powder.
- Put the paste on the acne and acne scars.
- Leave on the skin for half an hour.
- Rinse with warm water.
- Do not forget to apply moisturizer to make the skin soft.
- This needs to be done often to get the best results.
Apple and Honey as Mask
It can also be effective if you will use honey and apple together. Apple is known to have a lot of benefits for the body so mixing it with honey will be highly effective in getting rid of acne.
- Blend half of an apple. Make sure that you have removed the seeds beforehand.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of honey.
- Leave on the skin for 20 minutes.
- Rinse off with water.
- Make sure to do this once a week to get rid of acne for good.
Any of the methods that are mentioned above can be effective in getting rid of acne. Out of all the methods, which one is your favorite? Feel free to share the results you have received.