Oily face is one of the common skin problems that many of us struggle with. The body produces natural oils to keep the skin moisturized and healthy, but overactive production may result in pimples and acne. It is very hard to control, especially during hot weathers. Stress, puberty, diet and hereditary are some of the causes of oily skin. Women during menstruation, pregnancy or menopause are also more likely to experience excessive production of oil due to hormonal changes.
If you are tired of dealing with oily skin, do not fret as we have here a list of effective natural treatments that can help you make your skin smooth and oil-free.
Natural Remedies for Oily Face
Check out these simple solutions on how to get rid of oily face naturally.
Honey can help in removing excess sebum on the skin by clearing the pores. It also contains moisturizing properties that can slow down the signs of aging, such as fine lines and wrinkles. This remedy is useful for acne-prone skin due to its antiseptic properties.
- To use honey, apply a thin layer of it over the skin.
- Leave it on for about 15 minutes before washing your face.
- Follow this treatment twice daily for best results.
Another option is to mix honey with a small amount of ground almonds. Apply this paste to your skin and massage gently. This process will remove dead skin cells and excess oil. Wipe your skin with a damp warm cloth. Repeat this process once a week.
2. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera contains antimicrobial properties that can help in treating acne-prone skin. It absorbs excess sebum, leaving it moisturize without being oily. This herb is also known for soothing various skin conditions, such as sunburn, eczema and psoriasis.
- Cut a fresh aloe vera leaf in half and scoop out its gel.
- Apply this gel to your face and let it dry.
- Rinse your face with water.
- Follow this treatment two to three times daily.
You can also put an aloe vera leaf in a pot of water and bring this to boil for a couple of minutes. Grind this leaf and add enough honey to make a paste. Apply this to your skin and let it sit for 20 minutes. Rinse it off with cold water. Do this natural treatment once a week to notice improvements.
Oatmeal is one of the best treatments for oily skin as it unclogs the pores, absorbs excess oil from the skin, and helps in removing dead skin cells. The saponins present in oatmeal works as a natural cleansing agent and aids in removing accumulated oil from the skin’s surface. Here’s how to get rid of oily face with oatmeal.
- Make an oatmeal scrub by mixing ½ cup of dry oatmeal and some water. Let it soak for five minutes and apply this mixture to your skin. Gently massage your face and neck for 5 to 8 minutes to improve circulation. Let it sit for another 15 minutes before rinsing off with water. Follow this treatment 2 to 3 times a day.
- Another option is to grind two tablespoons of dry oatmeal. Add some water to it to form a paste. Add 1 tablespoon of honey and mix it well. Apply this mask to your face and neck evenly. Leave it on for 30 minutes before washing off with water. Follow this treatment a few times a week.
- You can also grind 3 tablespoons of dry oatmeal and add 1 tablespoon of water and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Apply this thick paste to your skin and let it dry on its own. Rinse it off with water.
4. Egg White
Egg whites are rich in vitamin A that can tighten up and tone oily skin. It also helps in removing excess oil from the face, drying out pimples and other skin blemishes. Follow any of these two methods on how to get rid of oily face using egg whites:
- Whip an egg white until foamy or stiff.
- Spread a layer of it over your face and let it dry.
- Rinse it off with water.
Alternatively, you can mix whipped egg white with ½ juice of lemon. Stir it well and apply a layer of this mixture on your skin. Let it dry for about 15 minutes before rinsing it off with water.
Apples have mild astringent, antiseptic, and soothing properties and they work as an excellent exfoliating agent, making them an effective natural remedy for acne-prone oily skin. The malic acid in apples absorbs excess oil from the layers of the skin and exfoliates accumulated dead skin cells.
- In a small bowl, combine ½ cup mashed apple, 1 slightly whipped egg white, ½ cup cooked oatmeal, and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice. Mix all ingredients well to make a paste. Apply the mixture to your skin and let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes. Rinse the area with cool water and dry thoroughly. Follow this treatment daily for best results.
- Alternatively, you can de-seed and mash a fresh apple. Mix it with four tablespoons of honey and apply this to your skin. Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes before rinsing with lukewarm water.
- Another option is to grate one-half apple and allow the apple shreds to rest on your skin. Let them sit for 15 minutes before washing off with tepid water.
Cucumber is well known for its cooling, soothing and astringent properties which are beneficial in reducing or controlling the production of natural oil. It also has vitamins A and E, magnesium, potassium, and other minerals that can nourish the skin.
- Take a fresh cucumber and cut it into thick slices.
- Rub cucumber slices on your skin and leave them on overnight.
- In the morning, rinse your face with warm water.
- Follow this treatment every night before going to bed.
You can also use ½ teaspoon of cucumber juice and mix it with ½ teaspoon of lime juice. Apply this to your face. Let it dry before rinsing off with warm water. This treatment is also useful for alleviating sunburn and treating freckles.
The vitamin C and natural acids content in tomatoes help in removing excess oil, impurities, and tighten pores. They are also great for the skin due to their astringent, cooling, and clarifying properties.
- Put one or two tomatoes in a blender and extract its juice.
- Use a cotton ball to apply tomato juice to the skin. You can also mix it with one tablespoon of honey for extra skin benefits.
- Massage your face gently for a few minutes to improve circulation.
- Let it dry completely before washing it off with lukewarm water.
Another option is to cut a tomato in half and gently rub the slices on your skin. Let the juice sit for about 15 minutes and rinse off with cold water. Pat dry and apply an oil-free moisturizer.
Milk is an excellent facial cleanser that can make your skin smooth and supple. It contains alpha hydroxy acids that exfoliate the skin in a gentle manner while balancing the skin’s pH. Here’s how to get rid of oily face with milk.
- In a small boil, add two tablespoons of milk and two or three drops of lavender or sandalwood oil.
- Apply this on your skin using a clean cotton ball.
- Give your skin a massage to enhance blood circulation. Leave the mixture on overnight.
- In the morning, rinse your face with cold water.
- Repeat this treatment every day for best results.
Yogurt helps in moisturizing the skin and prevents overproduction of oil. The lactic acid and alpha hydroxyl acid in yogurt work as a natural exfoliant and assists in cleansing away skin impurities and unclog pores.
- In a small bowl, add two tablespoons of plain yogurt and whisk using a fork. Apply this evenly over your neck and face. Let it sit for 30 minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water. Follow this treatment daily.
- Another option is to mix two tablespoons of plain yogurt and 1 tablespoon of crushed turmeric root or powder. Apply this evenly on your skin. Leave it on for 30 minutes before washing off with lukewarm water. Rinse again with a mild cleanser.
- You can also mix two tablespoons of yogurt with 1 tablespoon of honey. Apply this mask on your face and neck. Let it sit for 30 minutes before rinsing off with lukewarm water.
10. Besan or Gram Flour
Besan or gram flour contains natural alkalizing properties that can help in maintaining the skin’s natural pH level. This controls oil production by sebaceous glands. Gram flour is also an excellent absorbent that removes excess oil and unclogs pores. Acts as a natural cleanser, it eliminates impurities, dead skin cells and accumulated dirt from the skin.
- In a small bowl, add two tablespoons of gram flour and some water to make a thick paste. Spread a layer of this paste all over your skin. Allow it to dry on its own before rinsing off with lukewarm water. Follow this treatment daily for best results.
- Another option is to combine two tablespoons of gram flour, 1 tablespoon of water and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Mix it well and apply this all over your face and skin. Let it sit for 20 minutes and rinse off with water. Repeat this treatment 3 times a week.
- You can also mix 2 tablespoons of gram flour with 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder. Add enough water to form a paste. Apply this to your skin and let it dry before rinsing off with water. Follow this treatment 3 times a week.
One of the best fruits that you can use for scrubbing your skin is strawberry. It is high in vitamin C and its seeds are able to eliminate excess oil and dead skin cells. This fruit also helps brighten up the skin tone and slows down the appearance of signs of aging, such as fine lines and wrinkles.
- In a small bowl, mash some strawberries to make a paste.
- Add a few drops of fresh lemon juice and mix it well.
- Apply this all over your face and neck while scrubbing gently for a few minutes.
- Let it dry completely before rinsing off with water. Pat dry.
You can also use honey rather than lemon juice if you have sensitive skin.
Additional Tips to Get Rid of Oily Face
Follow these useful tips to successfully treat oily skin.
- A healthy eating habit is important to achieve healthy skin. Include more fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet. Fibrous foods and leafy greens are helpful in eliminating unwanted substances from the body.
- Eat more fruits rich in vitamin C, such as lemon, oranges, grapefruit, lime and sweet lime to maintain healthy and glowing skin.
- Drink plenty of water to hydrate your body and skin. Avoid drinking alcohol and caffeinated beverages. Limit consumption of dairy products and stay away from smoking.
- Wash your face two times a day with glycerin soap. Consider bringing oil-absorbing tissues to wipe away excess oil whenever needed.
- Avoid moisturizers that worsen your skin problem. It is best to tie your hair into a ponytail to keep your strands away from your face.
- Avoid heavy duty cosmetics and other skin care products that trap dirt and oil and clog your skin pores as these can lead to pimples or acne.
Having oily face can be an annoying problem as it can make you feel greasy. In addition, it contributes to the development of various skin problems, such as white heads, zits, pimples, bumps and acne. Follow these simple remedies and tips on how to get rid of oily face. With patience and consistence, you will achieve healthy, glowing and oil-free skin.