What was the last thing that you did? If you are having a hard time remembering, perhaps you should do something about it. Your memory is one of the most important things that you can have.
Just imagine if you would forget about who you are, where you live and what you usually do. It can make you break down. Some people have gotten into accidents because of forgetting but most of the time, people misplace their things because of their bad memory.
You might assume that your memory is linked with getting older. You feel that you are losing your memory because of your age. While age is a factor, there are still some people who have aged who are still sharp.
They have managed to remember a lot of things and their lifestyle largely contributed to it. If you would like to improve your memory too and it is highly likely that you do, there are some things that you can do such as the following:
8 Great Ways to Improve Your Memory
Get Enough Sleep Every Night
Do you know that constantly getting poor sleep will take a toll on your health? Even if you feel that you are doing everything in order to get your job done, you may become slower in doing it because it will make you slower in thinking and in doing other chores.
When you sleep, it helps your neurons connect with each other and this can help improve memory. Even taking naps can be ideal because it can make people feel more lively. If in case you are having trouble sleeping at night, there are some home remedies that you can do.
- Drink a cup of warm milk in order to help you sleep better.
- Try to clear your mind of stressful events that may leave you restless.
- Avoid anything that has caffeine prior to sleeping.
Associate Items to Remember Facts
There will be moments when you will be asked to memorize words or to recall certain situations but you are unable to do so because you do not remember. When you associate the situations or the words with items, it will be easier for your brain to dig up the memory again. Having a concrete image on your mind will make a lot of differences and changes.
- You can think of any image that will help you remember the word or situation more.
- Even if the concept is going to be funny, it will help you in remembering better.
- This is the reason why you may sometimes associate some things to events that truly made a difference in your life for example, you may associate flowers to the corsage that you received before.
Do Some Exercise
A lot of people assume that exercise is only done by those who would like to lose weight and to become fit but actually, exercising can do a lot more for the body. Aside from being able to increase metabolism, exercising has been linked to memory. When you exercise, you increase the flow of blood to your brain and this can, of course, improve your memory.
- You can do swimming, running, jogging or any activity that you believe will help you have the exercise that you need.
- If you have to do things that would require hand and eye coordination, this can be beneficial for the brain and can be done for about 10 minutes or so.
- For exercising, 30 minutes every day is recommended to enlarge the Hippocampus which is known to be the place where memory is stored.
Stop with Multitasking
Some people are proud of multi-taskers. They are proud of the fact that they can do several things all at once but if you would think about it, is multi-tasking as good as it seems? When you multi-task, you do not give your full attention to the things that you do. If you juggle so many things all at once like cooking and baking and washing the dishes, you know that something is bound to go wrong. Remember that in the long run, multitasking will only slow you down.
- Do things one at a time. Even if you are rushing, remember that you can accomplish your tasks faster if you would start with one task and improve on it.
- You can tell yourself what you are doing so you will not forget. If you know that later on you would forget your keys, tell yourself out loud where you placed it, it will help you remember better.
- Quit all forms of multi-tasking especially when you are driving because you need full concentration when you are on the road.
If you would like to remember things better, you can put different types of items in one memory. For example, if you have a grocery list and it is pretty long but you have forgotten it at home, it is best if you have put out all the items in one category that are similar to each other. For example, under the “meat” category, can you remember all of the things that you have placed there. Remembering per category will allow you not to miss any detail.
- You can also start remembering the first letters of the items that you have placed on the list as this can also help you out.
Organize Your Place
It does not matter whether you need to organize your home or your office table or both. What matters is that you are taking the time to organize everything. When you organize things yourself, you will have the tendency to remember things better. You would know where you have placed one item and where you have put another one.
- Make sure that you will have a place wherein you can always place your keys. Make it a habit to place the keys there when not in use until it becomes second nature to you.
- Limit the number of distractions that might make you forget.
- If you are having trouble remembering where you have placed some of your items, you can write them down first so that you will start remembering better.
- You can also organize your life by having a daily plan of the things you want to do.
- You can make lists and cross out those that you have already finished.
Remove Stress From Your Life
Do you realize that you have the tendency to forget things more when you are feeling stressed or sad? This is because you are finding it harder to function as the stress is weighing you down. When you become stressed and depressed you are destructing your brain cells so it will make you feel more dull and lifeless.
- In order to remove stress from your life, you can do some breathing techniques that will help you relax and make you realize that you need to take things one step at a time.
- Distance yourself from people or from situations that are causing you to feel stressed. You should always let go of toxic people from your life.
- Share laughter with your loved ones. When you bond with them, you will have the tendency to feel less stressed and forget about your current problems.
- Do something that will make you feel better. Do you usually feel good when you go shopping? You may do this but if you are on a budget, window shopping would be great as well.
Eat the Right Food
When you eat food that is good for you, you can already expect that your memory will start to improve. Remember that what you eat will be evident in the way that you look. Even if it is not evident now, it will start to occur in a few years especially as you get older.
- Avoid food products that are rich in sugar. Even if you feel like you do not have enough energy, you should not reach for carbonated sodas because there are other food products that will help you feel better.
- Look for food that is rich in anti-oxidants because toxins that can cause various diseases will be removed from the body easily.
- Get rid of food that you usually eat that are high in fat because the body will store fat and will also make it harder for the blood to flow from the brain. Thus, this can hinder memory.
- Look for food rich in Vitamins needed by the body. Vitamin C is known to improve the agility of your brain so search for citrus fruits that you can add to your diet. Vitamin B, on the other hand, is known to be a natural brain booster. You can stock up on mushrooms and berries to get the right amounts.
- Add avocados to your diet especially if you love mayonnaise and you need something creamy that can still taste amazing. They can also reduce the risk of having Alzheimer’s.
With all of these tips that are mentioned, you can find different ways on how you can improve your memory. Do you still have other tips in mind that you would also like to share? Feel free to share it so that other people will also be informed about it.