An ingrown toenail happens when the edge of toenail curves grows into the soft flesh of the toe. This may produce pain, redness, and inflammation. It is a common problem among both men and women. It usually affects your big toe. You are more likely to get this condition if you have diabetes or poor foot hygiene.
An ingrown nail can sometimes be very painful. You may also have redness, swelling, tenderness, or limping. If it becomes infected, you may find yellowish drainage or blood around the nail.
The main reason why they can sometimes be difficult to treat is that this disease is easy to recurrent. This means that even if they are removed now, there is always that big chance that they will grow again in the future, and this can cause pain and inflammation again.
Before you learn more about the various home remedies, you can get rid of ingrown nails, and you can first figure out the possible cause of getting your ingrown.
Common Causes of Ingrown Toenails and Fingernails
- Excessive Sweating of Feet – There are times when the feet sweat too much no matter what type of shoes is worn.
- Diabetes, being obese, arthritis, and fungal infections. – This health condition can cause the appearance of ingrown.
- Poor Fitting Shoes – You are always recommended to get shoes in your size; otherwise, this will result in having an ingrown.
- Fungal Infection – if your feet are always moist and you are always wearing enclosed shoes, there is a big chance that fungi will start to cause some problems.
- Improperly Trimmed Nail – There is always a good reason why nails should be trimmed properly, and that is to avoid getting an ingrown nail.
Now that you know the possible causes, here are just some of the home remedies that you can try to help get rid of Ingrown.
10 Natural Home Remedies to Get Rid of Ingrown Toenails and Fingernails
There is always a chance that you have hydrogen peroxide at home, especially if you include it as part of your first aid kit. Hydrogen Peroxide is known to be an effective disinfectant that can be used to help relieve the pain brought about by having an ingrown.
- Place Hydrogen Peroxide in the surrounding area where the ingrown can be located.
- Soak the affected area for about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Wait for the area to become soft.
Apple Cider Vinegar
A lot of people know that apple cider vinegar can be very effective in various home remedies. This is not a surprise anymore that apple cider vinegar can also be very helpful in getting rid of ingrown nails. Since it can be considered a powerful antiseptic, it can help relieve the symptoms caused by ingrown properly.
- Mix a few tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar with water.
- Dip the feet in Apple Cider Vinegar with water.
- Do this for about 10 – 15 minutes.
If you cannot think about any item that you can use to help relieve the pain and inflammation that you are experiencing because of your ingrown nail, you can always rely on hot water to help you out. Just make sure that you will not use boiling water because this can harm your skin.
- Prepare a basin full of hot water.
- When the water is bearable and will not scald your skin, dip your feet in the basin.
- Wait for about 10 minutes.
- This will help make your ingrown nail softer and easier to trim.
White Flower Oil
Likely, you may not be too familiar with White Flower Oil, especially if you have never used it in the past. White Flower Oil is like a liniment that you can place on the skin. It has various properties that can help relieve pain and get rid of the infection.
- Place a few drops of white flower oil on the nails.
- Let the oil stay on the nails for about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Wipe with a clean cloth.
Tea Tree Oil
Many people are already aware that Tea Tree Oil has antiseptic properties that can help get rid of bacteria that might be causing problems with your ingrown. Tea tree oil can sometimes be too strong, making sure that you will only use a few drops.
- Place a few drops of tea tree oil on the affected part.
- Wait for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- You may choose to wipe off the oil or let it stay overnight.
The great thing about Oregano oil is that it can do a lot. Aside from the fact that it is an antiseptic, it also contains anti-bacterial properties, which means that the bacteria that might be causing the inflammation of the ingrown will also go away and be removed.
- Mix oregano oil with olive oil so that it can be absorbed better.
- Apply directly on the ingrown nail.
- Do this about three times a day.
Epsom salt is very effective in making the area surrounding the nail and even the nail itself soft. This means that if there is a need to trim the ingrown nail, it can be done easily using this solution. Epsom salt would have to be mixed with water to become effective.
- Mix Epsom salt with water.
- Soak the feet in the solution for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Trim the toenails afterward.
Lemon is known to be acidic, and because of this, it can be effective in getting rid of bacteria that might be causing the inflammation of the ingrown. At the same time, it can also help get rid of the infection.
- Slice a lemon into several pieces.
- Get one slice and save the others for later.
- Place the slice of lemon in the affected area overnight. In the morning, the inflammation of the affected area will not be as bad as the night before.
Some people would like to avoid alcohol simply because it tends to sting the affected area, especially if the area is infected and inflamed. To get rid of ingrown effectively, however, alcohol is needed to be used as one of the home remedies.
- Place a few drops of alcohol on the affected area.
- Wait for it to dry.
- Do this several times a day.
- Do this until such time when the ingrown does not hurt as much anymore.
Many people are fond of Vicks VapoRub because it has helped them when they have a cough, colds, and other types of sicknesses that can be remedied easily using this menthol-based ointment. The pain can go away with the use of Vicks and can give instant relief.
- Place a small amount of Vicks on the ingrown nail.
- Rub it in gently so that the refreshing feeling will spread.
- Do this whenever necessary to get rid of pain caused by ingrown immediately.
Do remember that these home remedies will not be possible if only you would trim your nails correctly. Prevention is always better than cure, so make sure that you will take good care of your nails to avoid any problem.