A parasite is an organism that lives off other organisms or hosts for survival. Intestinal parasites, also called intestinal worms, are very common parasites. Sometimes you could be having a parasite even you are not aware of it. Many Intestinal parasites can grow well inside your body without showing any signs of presence.
These parasites are usually acquired from consuming contaminated water or food. A weak immune system can also make someone susceptible to parasites. Children are the most common carriers of intestinal worms; even adults and elders can also acquire these intestinal parasites.
Types of intestinal parasites
Many types of parasites can live freely inside the body. They come in different shapes and sizes. One of the most common parasites is Blastocystis hominins, a yeast-like single-celled parasite that causes bloating, abdominal pain, and anal itching. Some common intestinal parasites are:
- Tapeworms – These parasites can grow up to 60ft. while staying inside a human’s intestines. There are over 5,000 species of tapeworm.
- Giardia – This is a single-celled parasite that can be acquired from drinking contaminated water, and they can also survive in chlorinated water. Also called the “backpacker’s diarrhea,” Giardia usually lives in mountain streams. There are approximately 2.5 million cases of this parasite every year.
- Hookworms – These parasitic bloodsucking roundworms and commonly live in the small intestines.
- Blood flukes – These are parasitic flatworms that require two hosts to complete a life cycle: snails and humans.
- Pinworms – These are the most common roundworms, and one of the symptoms is anal itching. Kids are the most common carriers of pinworms.
Signs That You Are Carrying Intestinal Parasites
Common ways for parasites to enter the human body include: eating contaminated food or water, sexual contact, skin infections, and transmission vectors (such as mosquitoes). Other reasons such as poor immune system, eating undercooked meat, and poor hygiene can also easily lead to parasite infections.
People in tropical and sub-tropical areas have a higher risk of acquiring intestinal worms. However, adults and children around the world can also be affected by parasites. Here are the three major signs that may conclude you have a parasite.
Chronic digestive problems – Parasites can create intestinal inflammation and damage the linings of the intestines. If you are ingesting good bacteria, eating organic foods, and a highly alkaline diet, but you are still experiencing digestive problems, bloating as well as fatigue, a parasite cleanse could be the right solution for you.
Mental distress – A person carrying parasites may experience different forms of mental distress such as depression, body pain, anxiety, hallucinations, eye eyes, behavioral changes, and more. These symptoms also come with digestive problems.
Autoimmune disorders – Autoimmune flare-ups related to parasitic infections are gut and joints, such as irritable bowel syndrome and arthritis.
Other symptoms of parasites are:
- Constipation, irritable bowel syndrome, bloating, diarrhea, bloating
- Blisters on the lower lip, bad taste in the mouth
- Nervousness, hyperactivity, fuzzy thinking, chronic fatigue
- Vomiting, loss of appetite, teeth grinding, cravings
- Allergies, skin conditions like rashes and eczema
- Runny nose, fever, anemia, weight loss, bad breath
- Restless sleep, hunger, painful legs, muscle pain
- Itchiness around the rectum
How to Get Rid of Intestinal Parasites with Home Remedies
There are many OTC, and prescribed medicines for parasite cleanse that you may need to take for several days, weeks, or months. There are also many natural treatments that you can take along with the medication to eliminate intestinal worms. Pork is also one of the main carriers of worms and other parasites, so eating pork all the time gives you a higher chance of acquiring intestinal worms.
Garlic is one of the most popular anti-parasitic foods that can help manage different types of intestinal worms. Raw garlic contains sulfur with amino acids, which are anti-parasitic. Garlic also contains antibacterial, antiseptic, and antifungal properties, which can assist in eliminating the microbes inside the body.
- To eliminate all parasites in the intestine, consume 3 cloves of raw garlic on an empty stomach. Do this every day for a week to achieve the best results.
- Another way is to boil 2 crushed garlic cloves in 1/2 cup of milk. Drink this on an empty stomach every day for 1 week.
Coconut is considered to be very effective in getting rid of all types of intestinal worms. It contains strong anti-parasitic properties, which can aid in parasite cleanse. Coconut oil is also effective in treating intestinal parasites.
- Eat 1 tbsp. of crushed coconut for breakfast. After 3 hours, consume 1 glass of milk mixed with 2 tbsp. Of castor oil. Do this process every day until the parasites disappear. However, those suffering from gastrointestinal disease and kids below 5 years old are not recommended to take castor oil.
- Extra virgin coconut oil is also effective in treating intestinal parasites. Take 4 to 6 tbs. of coconut oil every day. This oil is rich with medium-chain triglycerides that assist in killing parasites while enhancing the immune system to combat them.
3. Pumpkin Seeds
According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, pumpkin seeds can assist in the elimination of intestinal worms. Cucurbitacin, a compound in pumpkin seeds, is antiparasitic in nature which paralyzes the parasites. This prevents them from staying to the intestine linings so they can be flushed away.
- In 3 cups of boiling water, add 2 tbsp of crushed pumpkin seed. Let it sit for 30 minutes and once it is cool, drink it.
- Another way is to fast for a day. Drink the juice of boiled dry prunes, then drinks the infused pumpkin seed.
- You can also mix 1 tbsp. of roasted and crushed pumpkin seeds with honey and eat the mixture while your stomach is still empty. Do this for a week. You can also include bananas and kiwi for your breakfast.
4. Unripe Papaya
Unripe papaya is a common treatment for different health problems such as intestinal parasites. This fruit is packed with enzyme papain which has anthelmintic properties and can kill intestinal parasites. In addition to that, papaya seeds also contain ricin that aids in eliminating worms in the intestines.
- Add 1 tbsp. of unripe papaya juice and honey in 3 or 4 tbsp of hot water. Drink the mixture every morning before breakfast. After 2 hours, take a glass of warm milk mixed with castor oil. Do this treatment for three days. If doing this treatment for children, decrease the dosage to half.
- Another way is to make papaya seeds smoothie. Add 1 tbsp. of coconut oil, 1 cup of coconut milk, and papaya fruit. Blend it well and mix 1 tbs. of honey. Drink this smoothie every morning for 1 week until the infestation disappears.
- You can also use the papaya seeds and grind them well to make a powder. Mix the powder with warm water or milk and drink it every morning before breakfast for at least 3 days.
5. Pomegranate Tree Bark
The stems, roots, leaves, and bark of the pomegranate trees are rich in anthelmintic properties, making it an effective treatment for intestinal parasites. The pomegranate tree’s bark has alkaloid punitive, which is toxic to intestinal worms, especially tapeworms.
- Add a 2-inch piece of pomegranate tree bark in 1 cup of water. Boil until half of the water evaporates. After the mixture cools down, drink it. Do this treatment 3 times a day and eat a purgative fruit like avocado or banana to flush the intestinal parasites. Reduce the dosage to 1/3 if using this remedy for children.
6. Carom Seeds
Another effective way of getting rid of intestinal parasites is the carom seed. These seeds contain thymol which has the ability to stop the development of intestinal parasites. It is also recommended to use it with jaggery for better effect.
- Eat 1 tbsp. of jaggery every morning before breakfast. After 15-20 minutes, eat 1/2 tsp. of crushed carom seeds, then drink a glass of water. Do this treatment every day for at least two weeks to get rid of parasites.
Carrots contain beta-carotene, which can kill the eggs of intestinal worms. In addition to that, zinc and vitamin C in carrots also enhances the body’s immune system so your body can easily combat the parasites.
- Eat two carrots for breakfast and make sure to chew them carefully. It is also recommended to grate them so you can chew them better. Do not eat other foods in the morning. Do this treatment daily for a week until the intestinal works are gone.
Neem or Indian lilac is another effective treatment for eliminating intestinal parasites. These contain anti-parasitic properties. Aside from that, these are effective in removing the toxins the parasite left behind. Pregnant women or nursing should not eat neem.
- Fry 1 tbsp. of dry neem flowers in 1 tsp. of clarified butter. Eat it with plain rice two times a day. Repeat this treatment for at least for days until the parasites disappear.
- Another way is to mix 1 tsp. of dried neem leaf powder with a glass of warm milk and drink it two times a day. Do this treatment for 1 week.
- Alternatively, grind neem leaves and make a paste. Take 1/2 tbsp. of paste and drink a glass of water. Do this treatment every morning on an empty stomach for seven days. Stop for a week, then repeat in the third week.
Turmeric is also one of the excellent natural remedies for eliminating parasites in the intestines. They contain antiseptic and antimicrobial properties that aid in purging worms. In addition, turmeric also aids in alleviating nausea, bloating, and pain in the abdomen, which are the most common symptoms of parasites in the intestines.
- Make a juice out of raw turmeric and a pinch of salt. Drink this turmeric juice every morning before breakfast. Do this treatment every day for a week until the worms are gone. If using turmeric powder, add 1/2 tsp. of turmeric powder in 1/2cup of warm water. Add a pinch of salt. Drink the mixture every day for 5 consecutive days.
- Another way to purge the parasites is to add 1 tbsp. of turmeric juice to a glass of buttermilk. Drink the mixture. Repeat this treatment for 3 days.
Cloves contain bactericidal, antiseptic, and antiparasitic properties, which can aid in eliminating parasitic eggs while killing intestinal parasites inside the body. In addition, cloves can also prevent infestations of parasites in the future.
- Add 1 tsp. of powdered clove in one cup of hot water. Cover it and allow it to steep for at least 10 minutes. Drink it 3 times a day for 1 week. Make sure that you use fresh cloves to achieve the best results.
- Wormwood, also called Artemisia annua, is considered an effective treatment for intestinal parasitic infections, especially roundworms, hookworms, and tapeworms. However, wormwood is not recommended for long periods of usage. It can come in capsules. Pregnant and nursing women are not recommended to take wormwood.
- Goldenseal – Goldenseal helps digestion and available in tablets, powder, or salve. Combining it with cloves and provide resistance against liver flukes and pinworms.
- Black Walnut Hulls have antiparasitic, antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal properties, eliminating parasites in adult stages.
- Parasite Cleanse Supplements – These are natural anti-parasite compounds such as Oregano oil, Black walnut, Wormwood, Grapefruit seed extract, and clove oil. When taking supplements, it is best to eliminate sugar from your diet.
Along with parasite cleanse supplements or other medications, these natural treatments that you can likely found in your kitchen can help you eliminate these intestinal parasites from your body. You may also need to repeat the treatments for several weeks or several months until the infestation disappears.