The main reason why mosquitoes survive is because of the blood of humans. Their sharp and elongated mouth punctures the skin and sucks up the blood. A lot of times, you may not even be aware that you are already bitten until you start to feel the itch. Aside from the itch that may sometimes become unbearable, other symptoms of mosquito bites include swelling, bruising, and rashes on the skin.
There are some people with skin that do not react well to mosquito bites and they get skin infections afterward. The after-effects of mosquito bites can be very annoying and they can be fatal too at times if the mosquito is a carrier of a deadly disease. A lot of people have already died from Dengue and right now, Zika Virus is also spreading in various parts of the world.
You can always wear long-sleeved tops and pants but it can be uncomfortable when it is hot outdoors. You can place some anti-mosquito lotions and gels but some types may be sticky and uncomfortable. If you would not protect yourself, you will definitely get bitten.
Top 10 Home Remedies to Get Rid of Mosquito Bites Fast
If you have already been bitten by mosquitoes, there are always some remedies that you can do. You may choose to try over the counter creams and gels that you can apply to your bites. If you want to go all-natural, there are also some home remedies that you may want to try.
If you would like to get rid of your mosquito bites, you have to reduce the inflammation and the itch that you are feeling. You can do this by applying onion juice on the bites that you have acquired. At the same time, the smell of onion can repel mosquitoes.
- Prepare half an onion.
- Mince the onion before applying directly to the bites.
- Leave on the bites for about 5 – 10 minutes.
- Rinse it off afterward.
If you would look at the ingredients of a lot of skin and hair products, you will see that Aloe Vera is one of the most common ingredients. This is a natural antiseptic and it will help reduce the pain of mosquito bites. If you would like to get rid of swelling and itching, this can be very effective as well.
- Get an Aloe Vera leaf and look for the meaty portion.
- Cut this portion and extract the gel from the leaf.
- Place the gel in a clean container and chill it in the refrigerator for about half an hour.
- Rub on the mosquito bites.
- Do this a few times a day until the swelling of the mosquito bites starts to subside.
You know that placing ice on the mosquito bites will make them less inflamed. Since they will not be inflamed anymore, they will not be disturbing. The symptoms that you are feeling will start to subside.
- If you have an ice pack, just fill it with ice and place it on the affected area of the skin.
- If you do not have an ice pack, you can create a makeshift ice pack using a few cubes of ice, a clean cloth, and a rubber band.
- Place the cubes of ice and wrap the clean cloth around it before securing it with a rubber band.
- Remember not to place the ice on the face for more than 10 minutes.
- You can rest it a bit and place an ice bag over the infected area again after you have rested your skin.
You know that baking soda is well known for its many uses. You can use it to clean various areas around your home and clean your rubber shoes. If you need to improve your skin, using baking soda is also recommended. Baking soda can effectively get rid of the inflammation brought about by mosquito bites because it can neutralize the pH level of the skin.
- Place a teaspoon of baking soda in a whole glass of water.
- Dip a clean cloth on the glass.
- Place the cloth on the mosquito bites for about 15 – 20 minutes.
- You can do this several times a day to help get rid of the mosquito bites.
You use salt with almost all of the dishes that you create at home but aside from flavoring, you can also use salt to get rid of the inflammation brought about by being bitten by mosquitoes. The antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties of salt will surely help.
- You can create a paste with salt and just a little bit of water.
- Apply the paste that you have created on the affected area and leave it on.
- Remember not to place too much water because the salt will dissolve.
If you want a home remedy that can be very helpful in getting rid of mosquito bites, you can always rely on a lemon. Lemon contains anti-inflammatory that can get rid of inflammation and anesthetic properties that can help numb the area so it will not feel too itchy anymore.
- Cut a whole lemon and rub the slice on the mosquito bites.
- When you do this, you are reducing the chances that your mosquito bite will get infected because of too much swelling.
- Do this several times a day until the inflammation subsides.
If your main issue is the swelling of the mosquito bite because it looks too obvious, you can use garlic as a remedy. This can get rid of the inflammation fast and it has a strong, pungent smell that mosquitoes hate making it a natural repellent.
- Prepare a clove of garlic or more depending on the number of mosquito bites that you are going to treat.
- Mince the garlic and apply directly to the affected area of the skin.
- Leave on the mosquito bites for a few minutes.
- Rinse off with cold water.
Do you realize that Epsom Salt is commonly used for a lot of home remedies? Epsom Salt is made out of magnesium and sulfate and they can help in making the inflammation of mosquito bites subside. Aside from mosquito bites, they can also help relax the mind. This will help if you are feeling panicky because of the bites that you have acquired.
- If you have a tub at home, you can place Epsom salt in water depending on the direction written on the package.
- Soak in the tub for half an hour.
- If you do not have a tub, you can get the Epsom salt and mix it with just a bit of water.
- You can apply the Epsom Salt paste to the affected area of your skin.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Even just a small amount of ACV can be effective in getting rid of the swelling caused by mosquito bites. If you are more concerned about the itching then Apple Cider Vinegar is the best remedy for you on this list. Just remember that if you have broken the skin of the bite because of scratching, placing this on the affected area will sting but at least, it will not itch anymore.
- Soak a cotton ball on a mixture created with apple cider vinegar and a bit of water.
- Press over the bug bite for a few seconds.
- Let the mixture dry on your skin.
- You may need to repeat this several times a day.
Tea Tree Oil
The antiseptic properties of tea tree oil can be very effective in treating various skin conditions especially if it is a bacterial skin infection like mosquito bites. Tea tree oil can also be effective in reducing the swelling due to mosquito bites.
- Just remember that tea tree oil can be too strong sometimes and it might not work well for you if you have sensitive skin. A good alternative can be lavender oil or another type of essential oil.
- You need to use a cotton ball to get the tea tree oil.
- Place the cotton ball on the mosquito bite and rub it a bit.
- You can do this once a day if it is not too strong for you.
The above-mentioned home remedies are meant to be used on mosquito bites in order to reduce the possibility of swelling and infection. If a few days after being bitten you would begin to feel bad, like you will begin to feel symptoms of having a fever, you have to see your doctor.
Remember not to take medications without the prescription of your physician because you may end up taking a medicine that you do not need.
How to Prevent Mosquito Bites
There are different things that you can do so you will not be an easy target to mosquitoes. Here are a few that you can do:
Eliminate stagnant water located in various parts of your home.
If you have old posts that do not contain soil and plants, they may become full of rainwater. The rainwater is harmless but if you just leave the water in containers, mosquitoes will start laying their eggs there. Look for places wherein there is still water and get rid of the water immediately.
Make sure that there are no holes in your windows and door screens.
It is normal that you will encounter mosquitoes when you are outdoors but as much as possible, you do not want them to go indoors. You can prevent this from happening by repairing your screen doors the moment that you see that there are holes. You may also place screens on your windows so you can leave the glass portion open to let the air and sunlight in but the mosquitoes will stay out.
Search for the right insect repellent.
Some insect repellents can be irritating especially if they are very sticky but there are different ones available in the market. Some will be enough to give you the protection that you are searching for without leaving a sticky feeling on your skin. Search for repellents that contain DEET or Eucalyptus oil because these ingredients are meant to be effective in repelling mosquitoes.
Take Vitamin B-1
You are already aware that it is your scent that makes you highly appealing to mosquitoes. You can lessen the chances of being bitten by changing your scent.
Wear the Right Clothing
You can wear long sleeves or long pants if you know that this will not hinder you from your outdoor activity. This will dishearten mosquitoes from biting you. You may also wear socks if it is not too hot outside.