Do you know that experiencing pain in the back of the knee is actually more common than you think? If this is the first time you are experiencing this, it is only common that you will feel a bit surprised and a bit scared about its possible cause.
Some people are more prone to getting pain in the back of the knee. For example, some runners experience knee pain than normal folks because they use their legs all the time. Their legs are always moving, and there is a possibility that they sometimes make mistakes with the way that they step.
When you feel pain behind your knee, it can be uncomfortable. You know that you should be focusing on the tasks you have to do, but you cannot help it; the pain you are feeling may stop you from meeting up with friends or doing some of your tasks.
If you are experiencing the pain on a chronic basis, which means that you are experiencing it all the time, there is a possibility that you are suffering from something more serious than usual. Instead of allowing the pain to go away on its own, you can go to the doctor to have your knee checked.
You should take note of the type of pain that you experience:
- Do you experience sharp pains behind the knee even when you are just walking?
- Are you experiencing some knee pain that is a bit dull but is still there?
- Do you only experience sharp pain every time you bend your back when you are going to tie your shoes or get something from the floor?
Some Possible Reasons to Familiarize Yourself With
You cannot just assume that the pain will go away immediately. There is always a possibility that you have something serious, and it will progress more in the long run. Here are some of the possible reasons. Take a look at the symptoms; you may find some familiarity with what you are experiencing. You can let your doctor know about it so that your doctor will know what to do.
This is a condition wherein the muscles located behind your calf or your leg start to degenerate. There are times when the muscles are not going o degenerate but are very much inflamed. You should get yourself checked by the doctor if you experience this, to be sure.
The tendon of the calf muscle is the most affected by this condition. Allow your doctor to know that you are experiencing this so that possible treatments will be recommended immediately. This is an injury that is common among runners and those who love sprinting.
Some people know this better as Popliteal Cysts. This is a type of cyst that shows near the back of the leg. It will take some time before the joints encounter this position.
This means that the person may have an injury that he never realized before. You may also have another health condition that should be addressed soon. The type of pain you are going to experience will immediately start when the back of your knee is hit, but there are times when the pain will start suddenly.
Before you start assuming that you can only get this condition when you play tennis, you are mistaken. This is just a term that will show that a tear within a leg causes pain in the leg. The pain is usually situated in the big calf muscle. Do take note that you may experience other pain in other types of the body.
Posterolateral Corner Injury
This is a type of injury that can cause pain in the back portion of the knee. While this is not a type of injury commonly compared to the other injuries mentioned on this page, this is usually gotten when people get into a vehicular accident.
Do you know what the Popliteus is? This is a small muscle that you can find at the back portion of your knee. When you are suffering from injury, and your muscles are strained, this is already a sign that something is wrong. Whether you are injured, or you have just strained it, it will be painful. You need to be as honest as possible when the doctor asks you certain details about your feelings.
Biceps Femoris Tendinopathy
This is a type of muscle injury that affects the hamstring muscles. Do take note that this type of injury does not only make the back of the knee pain. It can also affect the front portions of the knee. If you start to experience this type of pain, allow the doctor to give you a checkup immediately so that you can see if everything is fine.
This is probably one of the most common reasons why you are experiencing pain behind your knee. One of the symptoms of this is if you cannot fully bend your knee. Prevention is always better than cure when it comes to this condition.
It is always best that you check if your knees are painful. If they are painful, there are some things that you can do to ease the pain a bit. The pain is usually felt by people who are over 50 years old. The condition can be prolonged further if you have rested for quite some time and suddenly embark on an activity. The treatments for this are simple. You may want to do some exercises that will improve your current condition.
If you think that it is only your ankle that gets strained, then you are mistaken. Your knee may get sprained, too, especially if you have overstretched your ligaments.
You will be sure that this is what you are suffering from when you experience swelling. You may also notice that you are finding it hard to move your knee.
The main reason why you have gotten this may be because of a sudden twist that you did. Remember that knee sprain damage occurs more often than you think. Minor damages are easy to recover from, but it may take about 2 – 3 months if the damage is severe.
If you are not familiar with gout, this is the buildup of uric acid in the blood. The uric acid can cause some crystals to appear and attach themselves to the joints.
You can expect that your knee will look swollen and red. You still need to have this checked by your doctor to be sure. Tell your doctor if you have a history of having high uric acid in the past, so your doctor will know what to look for. The easier the symptoms are confirmed, the easier the treatments will also be formulated to help cure your current condition.
Some Common Symptoms Available
You must know some of the common symptoms you are experiencing together with knee pain. There are different types of pain you are going to experience. Some seem dull while others throb. You need to understand the type of pain you are experiencing because you will describe that to your doctor. Remember that there may be other symptoms that are associated with the type of pain you are feeling.
- Pain also experienced in the kneecap
- Swelling of some parts of the leg, particularly the knee cap
- The knee looks twisted.
When you experience any of the symptoms mentioned above, you already know that you have to have the knee checked by the doctor immediately.
Less Common Causes of Knee Pain
The ones that you have read about earlier are the more common reasons for knee pain. There may still be other possible reasons you have to familiarize yourself with, to be sure.
- Referred Pain – This is the type of pain wherein the pain is not actually situated at the back of the knee or anywhere in the knee. Rather, the pain comes from problems with your spinal cord. There are also times when some problems with the muscles or joints of your thighs can cause knee pain. Try to understand where the pain is coming from.
- Gastrocnemius Tendonitis – This type of pain wherein the tendon of the calf muscles has become inflamed so much that the pain already radiates to the back of the knee. You will know if this is the condition you suffer from if you have overdone something recently. For example, you may have done some exercises that are too much for your muscles. The pain can be very irritating.
- Popliteus Tendonitis – The popliteus is actually a small muscle located at the back of the knee. When it becomes inflamed or when you experience problems, you have overused your muscles, and you would need to fix it very soon.
Serious Causes of Getting Knee Pain
Some conditions are so serious that you should try to know the reasons for experiencing knee pain.
- Posterior Cruciate Ligament Injury – This type of injury wherein the posterior cruciate ligament has some tears on it, or you have sprained it. This is very important because the ligament makes sure that your knee will not bend the wrong way. When it is injured, you cannot stop your knee anymore from bending incorrectly. The moment that a person gets injured, the pain starts. There may also be some swelling that will occur. This type of injury should be checked immediately.
- Claudication – This type of injury wherein the legs start to cramp because they are already tired of the blood flow has become restricted. There are times when you can immediately change your position so that you will experience pins and needles, but if you hold the position longer than the required period of time, this can cause the result in this condition.
- Deep Vein Thrombosis – Many people are familiar with this condition, and this is a blood clot located in the calf muscles. Some people experience this after getting injured. Some people may think that they have just sprained their leg, but they may already suffer from this condition.
- Tumor – This is one rare cause of pain behind the knee, but this does not mean it cannot happen. This can only be considered a cause if some of the other causes have already been checked and removed. You have to watch out for other symptoms if you have a tumor behind your knee. For example, you may be experiencing night sweats, weight loss, and fevers. There are different types of treatments available. You have to familiarize yourself with each one to e sure.
If you experience any of the possible causes of knee pain, you need to have your knee checked by your doctor to determine the actual cause. Once the actual reason is determined, this is when treatments for your knee pain will start. You would like to get rid of the pain once and for all, right?
If there is one thing that you should remember, this is it: you can always get to know more about the possible causes of why you are experiencing pain behind the knee, but there are moments when you experience the pain, but the cause is not from there. Pain can be produced in different places. You truly need to be checked by the doctor immediately to determine the cause of the problem.