How to get rid of period cramps fast?There are some women who truly suffer from menstrual cramps every single month. They usually dread the coming of their period because they know that they are going to be very uncomfortable. Some are still able to do their tasks especially if they have already taken pain killers but there are also some who are barely able to get out of bed.
Period cramps are also known as dysmenorrhea and although this condition is not serious, it can still be very uncomfortable. At this point, you may be wondering why do women get period cramps? This is because of the contraction of the uterus while women are on their period. The uterus may contract too much that they can already hit other blood vessels in the process. This can cause the pain. The level of pain that women experience may vary. Some experience mild pain which means that they can still function and do their work but with little difficulty. Those with moderate pain may have to sit down until the pain goes away and there are also some who suffer from severe pain. Those who suffer from severe pain normally faint and would have to be given immediate relief so that they will feel better.
What type of pain do you normally experience when you are on your period? There are some factors that may intensify the pain that you experience such as the following:
- Your blood flow is simply trickling or it can be extremely heavy.
- Just had your first child and this is your first menstrual period after childbirth.
- Just started your period.
- You have not reached the age of 20 years old yet. According to studies, women who are below 20 years old may suffer from more severe muscle cramps.
- There is too much prostaglandins on your system and this is affecting the type of pain you are experiencing.
- Use of birth control.
- Having some excess growth in your womb.
If you are only suffering from mild to moderate cramps, there are still some home remedies that you can do in order to give you some relief.
Adding Some Herbs to Your Diet
There are some herbs that are meant to provide help so that you can decrease the severity of the muscle contractions that you get when you are on your period.
- Take some chamomile tea – Do you know that chamomile tea can be very effective in making you feel relaxed? When you know that you are about to get your period, you can take chamomile tea two times a day. If you take it a week before your period, you can expect that your period will not be that bad.
- Dill – You can take dill about a week before you get your period in order to get rid of menstrual cramps that may occur when you get your period. Some say that its effects are similar to mefenamic acid but of course, this is more natural.
- Some also take mefenamic acid, an over-the-counter medication a few days before they get their period. The moment that they get their menstruation, they do not feel that much muscle contraction anymore.
12 Natural Remedies to Get Rid of Period Cramps Fast
Let us say that you are experiencing menstrual pain now and you want to get rid of the pain at the soonest possible time. The best thing that you can do is to find an immediate relief from pain by doing the following home remedies:
- Apply Hot Compress to your abdominal area
When you place heat on your abdomen, you are going to lessen the severity of the contractions and you would also improve the circulation of the blood so you will not feel too much pain anymore. This is normally effective for women who are suffering from menstrual pain who are 18 – 30 years old. You can use a heating pad for this but if you do not have a heating pad, you may also use a hot water bottle.
- Place the heating pad directly on the area that hurts.
- Allow the heat to be absorbed by the body in order to get pain relief.
If you do not have a heating pad, use the warm bottle remedy to apply heat to your abdominal area.
- Wrap a hot water bottle with cloth before placing on the abdomen. If you do not place cloth, you may burn your skin.
- Place for about half an hour or until the pain goes away.
- There are times when you need to refill the water bottle with hot water again in order to get relief.
- Massage Specific Points of Your Body
There are some pressure points that can bring immediate relief from pain if you would massage them thoroughly. The pressure points are located at the abdominal area, the sides and the back.
- Press the specific points of the body and try to massage those areas.
- It may be hard to do when the pain is too much for you to bear but you can allow a professonal to do it for you. It will make a lot of difference.
- You may need to use essential oils in order to improve the effectiveness of the massage. One of the most recommended essential oils is lavender.
- Watch Your Diet
You are already suffering from period pain and yet you are feeling hungry. You have to watch what you eat so that you will not aggravate the pain further. It is best to avoid food products that can cause you to bloat because of water retention as this can aggravate the pain that you are feeling. Here are other food products that you should avoid:
- Salty food products
- Foods high in bad fat
- Carbonated beverages
If you would avoid these food products, you increase your chances of recovering faster from the pain brought about by menstruation.
- Have an Orgasm
There are some women who can actually help get rid of their menstrual pain especially if they are still suffering from pre-menstrual pain by having an orgasm. When women get vaginal orgasms, there are a lot of body parts that are involved in the process including the spine. The spine can release neurotransmitters that will prompt some good hormones to be released in the body. These hormones can make menstrual pain go away effectively.
- Fennel Seeds
It seems that the anti-inflammatory properties of fennel seeds can be highly effective in getting rid of the pain brought about by menstruation. There are some studies about this in the past wherein those who have received fennel seeds got instant relief. If you have fennel seeds at home and you want to make the pain go away, this is an effective remedy that you can try now.
- You need to prepare your fennel seeds before you get your period.
- Once you have your period, take 30mg of these fennel extract four times a day.
- Do this for the first three days of your period.
There are some women whose menstruation normally lasts for only 3 days but there are some who may get their period for at least 5 days. Just take the fennel seeds for 3 days regardless of how long or how short your menstruation period is.
While you can take cinnamon in its usual form, some women would not be able to take its spicy taste. If you want this as your home remedy but you do not want to taste it, use cinnamon pills. It can be effective. Cinnamon can usually get rid of the pain associated with menstruation. At the same time, it can get rid of other symptoms that can make menstruation even harder to endure such as nausea and vomiting.
- 420 mg of Cinnamon should be taken 2x a day.
- This should be taken during the first 3 days of your period.
Ginger is known to get rid of sore throat and other health conditions but ginger can also be effective in getting rid of period cramps. This is because it can control the levels of prostaglandins thus lessening the possibility of feeling pain.
- Grate a small piece of ginger.
- Place the grated ginger in hot water.
- Strain a bit and mix with honey and a bit more water if you think that the taste of ginger is too strong.
- Drink this three times a day the whole time that you have your period.
If there is one herb that you should be exposed to when you get your period, you should take basil. Basil has caffeic acid which can be effective in getting rid of the pain. Caffeic acid can also be found in some over the counter medications which proves the point that it can help remove the pain.
- Add basil leaves to a cup of boiling water.
- Cover the cup and allow it to cool down a bit before you drink.
- You need to drink this every 4 hours in order to get rid of cramps effectively.
If you cannot take drinking basil in tea form, you may also drink it. You can juts add fresh basil leaves to the food that you eat. You may also chew on it if you want.
- Blackstrap Molasses
A lot of women have already used blackstrap molassesto get rid of period cramps so there is no reason why you should not use it now when you are also suffering from pain. Period cramps may be caused by blood clots that are forming along the uterine walls. Blackstrap molasses will make sure that these blood clots will be removed so that blood will flow freely and pain will be removed effectively.
- Add Blackstrap molasses to warm milk.
- Drink the milk the moment that you start experiencing pain because of your period.
- Drink as often as possible throughout the day.
Parsley can be effective in stimulating the menstrual process so that it will be easier and faster than usual. There may be moments when your period is not as strong as it should be. Taking Parsley can help solve this problem. This herb contains myristicin and apiol. These two compounds are known for getting rid of cramps.
- Put parsley in a cup full of boiling water.
- Allow the parsley to be infused in water for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the parsley and start sipping the moment that the water is warm and not boiling.
- You can drink this twice a day.
There are some people who take papaya whenever they are having problems with constipation but this time, you are going to use papaya in order to get rid of menstrual pain. Papaya is rich in anti inflammatory properties which means that it can get rid of the inflammation of your reproductive system so that you will not feel pain anymore. It is also rich in different vitamins that can help lessen the severity of the contractions of your uterine wall.
- You may want to start including papaya in your diet even before you get your period.
- Use this as your dessert after eating your meals. You will be surprised with how filling it can be.
- You can still continue eating papaya even when you already have your period.
Aside from the home remedies mentioned above, you should remember that exercising can help get rid of menstrual pain .When you are physically active, you will lessen the possibility of suffering from menstrual cramps on the first day of your period. Include cardiovascular exercises and yoga on your diet. It will make a lot of difference.
When you are suffering from menstrual pain, do not forget to hydrate yourself. Even if you do not feel like drinking water,you may be more dehydrated than usual. At the same time, water can give you relief. If in case the pain you experience whenever you have your period is severe, consult your doctor about it.