Sometimes you may find that your ears seem to be blocked and you cannot hear the sound. Don’t worry, popping your ears can help you solve the problem quickly. But how to pop your ears fast and safely? Before you figure out the various ways to pop your ears, you first have to understand the reasons why your ears are blocked.
The Eustachian tube can be found inside the ear and it is in charge of making sure that there is just enough pressure on both sides of the ear. When there is too much pressure build up inside the ear, the Eustachian tube becomes blocked and this can cause a very uncomfortable feeling.
Sometimes, people are unable to hear anything while for others the feeling can sometimes be painful. When the ears are not popped after the Eustachian tube becomes blocked, this may cause a variety of ear diseases.
In most cases, you may feel the need to pop your ears after flying. The altitude change can cause air to form on your middle ear and you will have trouble hearing. There are also moments when your clogged ears may be caused by an excess of ear wax. If this is the case, ear drops are needed in order to melt the ear wax and make them easier to be removed. You can try to do this on your own or a doctor can do it for you.
Is it safe to pop your ears?
Some people would rather wait for their ears to pop on their own because they are not sure if popping their ears would be safe. Popping your ears would be safe as long as you use the safe methods to do it. For some people, moving their mouth muscles will be enough to get rid of the air bubbles.
If in case you have tried to pop your ears but your condition has worsened, you need to see your doctor immediately. There are times when you will unclog your ears with the use of medications but this should not be done for an extended period of time. If you are prone to getting clogged ears, you should familiar with the different maneuvers that you can use and know which one works best for you.
15 Natural Ways to Pop Your Ears Fast and Safely
There are some techniques that you can use that can effectively and safely pop your ears without damaging them.
At this point, you may be thinking about why swallowing is included when you usually swallow unconsciously all throughout the day. Whenever you swallow, this might just cause enough pressure inside your body to force the Eustachian tube to become open again. This will help equalize the pressure that you are feeling inside your ears.
- Do remember that there will be times when you will find it hard to swallow probably because there is too much pressure that can be found in the ears.
- Try to swallow anyway or you may also drink water to help you swallow faster.
2. Avoid Sleeping
There are some people who cannot help but sleep during long trips. While this can be comfortable for some because it might be their only time to nap, sleeping when the car is ascending or descending a mountain or when the plane is about to land will only increase the amount of pressure that can be found inside the ear. When people sleep, they do not swallow or chew and this can help make the pressure stay in much longer.
- It is okay to sleep as long as you know that you are far away from places that might cause air pressure on your ears.
- If you know that you are near the place and you are feeling sleepy, try to keep busy by doing various things.
One of the best things that you can do to help get rid of the pressure that you are starting to feel inside your ear is to start chewing. When you chew, you would have to chew properly. This makes the pressure go away.
- You can choose to chew on the food that you are eating. If you do not have any food, a piece of chewing gum can do.
- You can also depict the movement of chewing even when you are not chewing anything.
- Do this repeatedly until the pain goes away.
4.Open your mouth and yawn
When you yawn, you are also going to open up your Eustachian tube. There are some people who find this easy because they can yawn whenever they want to or they can simply look at another person yawn and feel the need to yawn.
You can try doing a fake yawn and still get the results you want. If the first yawn did not do the trick, you can try doing another yawn again after a few minutes. This will give your Eustachian tube and your jaw enough time to rest. Yawning can be very beneficial in helping to get rid of the air pressure that has built up inside the ears.
- Try to make yourself yawn by looking at a person who is yawning.
- Not breathing enough can also cause you to yawn.
- Think about yawning, it is likely that your body will do it afterward.
5. Use Nasal Spray to Pop Your Ears
Since the nose is connected to the ear, making use of the nasal spray can help get rid of the air pressure that can be found inside the ear; Do remember that it can be a bit hard to continue using the nasal spray especially during a long flight because there are times when it can clog the ears further because of overuse. Make sure that you will only do it from time to time.
- Purchase nasal spray from a drugstore before your trip.
- You can also make your own nasal spray by mixing in salt and water.
- Place the tip of the spray on the nose and spray whenever the Eustachian tube feels blocked.
6. Take Hard Candy
The main reason why you would need to take in candy is that this can help you swallow often. Like mentioned earlier, the more that you swallow, the more chances that the pressure in your air will go away.
- Eat hard candy that you like since this can make you swallow faster because you like the taste.
- Make sure not to eat too much candy since this can be bad for the teeth.
7. Use Ear Drops to Pop Your Ears Fast
There is always a chance that making use of ear drops especially long flights can help get rid of the pressure that you are feeling inside your ear.
- Place a few drops of the ear drops inside one ear.
- Tilt your head the other way so that the liquid will not come out yet.
- After a few minutes drain the ear and clean it thoroughly.
- Do the same for the other ear.
8. Take Hot Shower
There are times when the steam from the hot shower can make you breathe better and as a result, this can also help your ears feel better because the pressure is significantly lessened.
- Prepare a warm bath or take a warm shower.
- Do this for about 10 – 20 minutes.
- You will most likely be able to lessen the pressure on your ear considerably.
9. Pinch Your Nostrils
Try to breathe out while pinching your nostrils; you might hear a pop followed by comfort because you can hear again.
- Place the tip of your index finger and your thumb on your nose.
- Try to breathe out.
- Do not blow too hard.
- You will hear a gentle popping sound on both ears.
10. Drink a large glass of water
You are promoting yourself to swallow more often and this can cause your ears to pop. Do remember that this is not ideal if you are in a public place though because drinking large amounts of water in a short amount of time will prompt you to search for the restroom all the time. When you swallow, you are opening up your Eustachian tube and this may get rid of the air bubbles immediately.
11. Blow your nose gently
There are moments when you are suffering from the cold or the flu and you cannot hear that well. This is because mucus may be clogging up some areas. You can blow your nose gently and see if your ears are going to pop. There are times when curing your colds or your flu will be enough to help you hear better again.
Take note that some doctors do not recommend that you use this method because they think that your Eustachian tubes can only take so much ear pressure. If the first one does not work, do not do it again as you may tear off your eardrum. When this happens, there might be a bit of blood and you are going to feel intense pain.
12. Use a Finger to Unpop Your Ears
If in case you have tried your best to pop your ears with the different methods that are available but you were unable to do so, you can use your finger to pop your ears. Remember that this method is most effective after you have done some swimming and scuba diving and you would like to get rid of the water from your ear. Do this method:
- Your ears should be parallel to the ground.
- You should use the pad of your fingers in order to create a plunging motion in order to prompt the water to come out from your ear.
- This will help get rid of the water and can also get rid of the discomfort that you are feeling.
When you saw this method, you may have assumed that you need to plunge your finger into your middle ear. You should not do this as this may block your ears further and lessen the success of popping your ears.
13. Gargle warm, salted water
When you gargle with a saltwater solution, you will be able to get rid of nasal congestion that may contribute to the overall reason why your ears are clogged. Get rid of this problem first and you will get relief from your clogged ear.
- Mix a teaspoon of salt and add it to a glass of warm water.
- Gargle with the use of the solution before you spit it out.
- You need to do this several times a day until you get rid of your clogged ears.
14. Applying a warm washcloth
This is the type of method that you can use best when you are suffering from colds or flu. Your ears may be clogged because of mucus and you need the Eustachian tube to open in order to get relief from congestion. This is also one of the best methods that you can do if you are suffering from sneezing due to allergies. If you have a heating pad, you can use this instead of the washcloth. It can keep the heat for a longer period of time.
15. The Valsalva Maneuver
This is one of the most natural things that you can do in order to get rid of the pressure on your ears. You can do this by pinching your nose and blow gently. It would seem like you are trying to blow through your nose but since it is covered, the air will go out through your ears instead. Make sure to keep your mouth closed too to make this more effective. Repeat this action different times in order to pop your ears effectively.
How to Prevent Airplane Ear
If you would like to prevent airplane ear, you need to make sure that you will get rid of the pressure that has built up in your ear in the first place. You need to be prepared to pop your ears the moment that you take off.
The methods that are mentioned above can be effective in popping your ears and making sure that you will get rid of the discomfort that you are feeling. If you would like to prevent pressure build-up in your ear, you may suck on some candy. Chewing gum will be an effective remedy too so that air bubbles will be less likely to enter and stay on your ear canal.
It is also recommended that when you are about to take off or when you are about to land that you do not fall asleep. This may prevent you from doing things that will help get rid of the pressure on your ears. You may end up being awakened by the pain in your ears. This is not something that you want to experience.
If in case you feel that your child may suffer from ear pressure, you may want to let your child drink something while the plane is taking off or landing. This will prompt your child to swallow frequently and this can get rid of the ear pressure the child may feel.
If you have done all of the things mentioned above but you are unable to get rid of the pressure in your ears, you may schedule an appointment with your doctor so you will be given further instructions on what you should do. Some doctors may recommend that you use a certain tool to pop your ears or the doctor may recommend other treatments depending on your condition.
When to see your doctor
If you have tried all of the things that are mentioned above but you still did not get your desired results, this is a sign that you need to see your doctor. You will be asked several questions like the following:
- When did the blocking take place?
- What are the things that you have done in order to pop your ears?
- Are there any medications that you have taken in order to get relief from your condition?
You need to be very honest with the things that you will answer. Your doctor may recommend some treatments or will require you to take some medications. Do what your doctor orders and you will be able to hear clearly again.