Do you feel uncomfortable because you always feel the urge to cough like something stuck on your throat? Sometimes You may have a hard time swallowing like something is blocking your throat. If you have experienced this several times you may have post natal drip.
Post Nasal Drip refers to the overproduction of mucus.This means that the mucus is dripping at the back of your throat and you cannot control it.It is normal that you have mucus running at the back of your throat.Mucus can help clean your nasal passages and gets rid of the bacteria. Normally you do not notice the mucus but once you start being aware of the feeling of mucus at the back of your throat, it means that something is wrong.
Post nasal drip may be caused by different reasons. Common causes include allergies,colds/flu,cold air,age,medications and change in environment.Any of the above mentioned things can change the production of mucus in your body. At the same time, you may start to feel like your mouth is dry all the time. The mucus can be either clear or very thick and yellow green in color.
There are other conditions that you may begin to feel when you are suffering from post natal drip.
- Voice Loss – Since you are having a hard time swallowing and you tend to exert more effort when you speak, the possibility that you are going to lose your voice is likely.
- Persistent Cough – You are constantly trying to remove the mucus that seems stuck at the back of your throat so your tendency is to cough out the excess mucus.
- Sore Throat – All the effort that you are doing will eventually cause sore throat especially if you are suffering from post-nasal drip for a week or more already.
If you suspect that you have post nasal drip, it is best that you go to your physician so your condition can be diagnosed. You may also be given medications to help relieve your present condition. You also have a choice to try some home remedies that can give you relief.
Top 10 Home Remedies for Post Nasal Drip
Here are a few of the home remedies that will help you get relief from your post nasal drip:
Whenever your nose is clogged, you are encouraged to inhale steam because this will help clear out your nasal passageways. Steam inhalation is also meant to help you in post nasal drip because this can control the amount of mucus produced by your body.
- Prepare a basin with hot water.
- You can place a few drops of essential oil if you want to improve its effect.
- Drape a towel over your head and place your face near the hot water so you can inhale the steam.
- Inhale the steam for about 5 – 10 minutes. Make sure that you are deeply inhaling to make it more effective.
- Blow your nose afterwards.
Garlic is an popular herb used for various dishes. It is also effective for post nasal drip treatment. Garlic has antibiotic properties which can help lessen the overproduction of mucus. At the same time, it also reduces the chance that you will get an infection.
- Prepare 3 – 4 garlic cloves and chop evenly.
- Roast with clarified butter for a minute.
- Prepare warm milk.
- Eat the roasted garlic with warm milk about twice every day.
- You are recommended to do this for 5 – 7 days.
If you would like to treat your post nasal drip, you can take cayenne pepper because this can also act as an anti-histamine. Cayenne contains capsaicin that can help release the mucus stuck at the back of the throat. If you are suffering from a sore throat, you can use this as a home remedy too.
- Mix ½ teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper with honey.
- You can take this the whole day around 2 – 3 times.
- Make sure that you will only do this for about 3 days. If in case you want to consume more Cayenne Pepper, you can also include this in your cooking.
Salt water has properties that can help alleviate the symptoms you are feeling.
- You can choose any type of salt but sea salt may work best.
- Add ½ teaspoon of sea salt to water.
- Remember not to drink the salt water, rather, what you should do is gargle.
- You can rinse with salt water whenever you feel any discomfort.
- You may have to do this until you do not feel the symptoms of experiencing post nasal drip anymore.
Baking soda is highly effective in giving relief for various conditions so it is not surprising that this can also be used to get rid of post nasal drip. You can clear up your mucus by trying out this remedy.
- Prepare a cup of warm water.
- Add a bit of salt.
- Put a pinch of baking soda.
- Using a nasal syringe, you can squirt the mixture that you have prepared on your one nostril and let the water come out through your other nostril.
- You can do the same with the other nostril to clear your nose from excess mucus.
Ginger is a decongestant and it has properties that can help prevent the symptoms from post nasal drip. Once the excess mucus stops, you will start to feel relief. Ginger is also used for a wide variety of health conditions.
- If you are fond of the taste of ginger, you can make ginger tea.
- Place a few slices of ginger in one cup of hot water.
- Let the ginger simmer in water for about 10 minutes.
- You can add a bit of raw and organic honey if you want to improve its taste.
- Sip this about 2x a day.
- If you want to finish the ginger immediately, you can chew on it instead of making it into tea.
If you want to clear up your excess mucus, this is one of the remedies that you can try. Your nasal passages may get irritated and this can also help get rid of different irritants. You can also get rid of possible infections.
- Add salt and baking soda to distilled water. Make sure that the distilled water is warm.
- Fill your neti pot with the solution you have created.
- Tilt your head on one side and place the solution on one of your nostrils.
- Wait for the liquid to go out on your other nostril and do the same for the other nostril.
- This needs to be done daily for a few days until you feel relief.
Water can help combat post nasal drip. Since your mucus is watery and thin, they will be easier to remove.
- Make sure that you will drink about 8 – 10 glasses of water every day although this may vary from person to person.
- If you do not like the taste of water, you can find other forms of liquid through clear soups or other beverages.
- When choosing beverages, avoid anything with caffeine especially if you are allergic as this may aggravate your condition.
Apple Cider Vinegar
No home remedy list will be complete without ACV. ACV can alkalize and thin the mucus so that they will be easier to remove from the body. At the same time ACV can help improve your immunity so you will not be infected as often as before.
- Choose raw and unfiltered ACV to improve its effect.
- Add 1 – 2 tablespoons of ACV to warm distilled water.
- You can also add honey if you want.
- Drink the mixture twice a day until you start to feel your symptoms start to improve.
You need to eat more Vitamin C rich food products so that your immune system can be boosted. At the same time, Vitamin C is in charge of reducing the amount of histamine that is produced by the body. Histamine makes people more prone to allergies.
- Include more vitamin rich food products in your diet. Some of the food that you can take are lemons, oranges, broccoli and papaya.
- There are also some vitamins that you can take that will give you the daily dose of Vitamin C that you need.
- There are also some supplements that you can take that will help improve your resistance.
A Few More Tips to Remember
If you are suffering from post-nasal drip, here are a few things that you can do:
- You are recommended to blow your nose immediately whenever you feel that your nose is clogged. This can help get rid of the excess mucus.
- Blow your nose in tissue that you can immediately dispose so you will not be spreading any infection.
- If you are aware of the allergens that can clog up your nose, avoid those allergens.
- Make sure that there is enough humidity inside your home or at least inside your room so that you will be able to breathe well.
- Try to get enough rest every day because when you are not well rested, you become more susceptible to a wide variety of diseases.
- If you are a smoker, try to avoid smoking as this may worsen your condition.
- There is a possibility that you get the condition whenever you eat some food products. Most people get it from dairy products. If you suspect that you are also allergic to dairy, look for alternatives.
- Lozenges will be helpful in giving relief to your throat especially when it is already sore because of your present condition.
How to Know If You Need to See Your Doctor Immediately
You know that if you have post natal drip and even if you have done some home remedies, you still need to consult with a doctor but you need to see a medical professional immediately if you experience the following:
- You are having difficulty swallowing that sometimes, you cannot swallow your own saliva.
- There are times when you feel like you are choking.
- There is a possibility that you are experiencing a bacterial infection.
- It has been weeks since your post natal drip has started.
If home remedies do not work for you, ask for your doctor’s prescription for medications.