Rash on inner thigh is a very common skin condition that occurs on the inner thighs and groin. First, we should understand that these rashes may be the symptoms of other diseases instead of disease of their own.
The main cause of this rash is the moist and hot environment of this area. The inguinal area tends to heat and have excessive sweating. In addition, the inside of the thigh is often covered by underwear and clothing, making it hard for sweat escape the region.
These reasons will promote the development of fungi and other infections, resulting in rashes.This type of fungi can also cause athlete’s foot, so the rash on inner thigh may be caused by the towel which has been used first to dry the feet.
The inner thigh rashes can cause inflammation, redness, itching, burning, and pain of the skin. These symptoms are more common in women, which is related to the body structure of women.
Rashes can appear on any part of the body, but they can be very hard to get rid of when they appear on your inner thigh. This article discusses all the possible causes of inner thigh rashes and the best home remedies to get rid of the rashes.
Common Symptoms of Inner Thigh Rashes
- Common Symptoms of Inner Thigh Rashes
- Common Causes of Rashes on Your Inner Thigh
- Fungal Infection (jock itch)
- Contact Dermatitis
- Heat rash
- Shaving(Razor Bumps)
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases
- Insect Bites
- Some Plants
- 10 Natural Home Remedies to Get Rid of Rash on Inner Thigh
- Redness, inflammation, and itching of the groin, crotch or inner thigh
- Burning sensation, Irritation and pain while walking or running
- In severe cases, breathlessness, blisters, allergic reactions may occur
- A raised patch of scaly rash with sharp borders may appear in the groin or inner thigh area.
Common Causes of Rashes on Your Inner Thigh
There are different reasons why you may acquire rashes on various parts of your body.
Fungal Infection (jock itch)
Jock itch, also known as tinea cruris, is a fungal infection. It can cause a rash on the inner thighs, groin, genitalia, and buttocks. It can lead to the formation of red or pink rashes on your skin.It can also cause itching and burning sensations.
Jock itch is caused by the hot and humid environment. The groin and inner thighs are surrounded by clothing, and this area will sweat a lot, creating a hot and humid environment. This environment helps the growth of fungi.In addition, fungal infection can also be spread by using contaminated towels or clothes.
When you have jock itch, you can apply an antifungal cream on the affected area to prevent the rash from spreading and relieve the itchy feeling.
Eczema, also known as atopic dermatitis is a common skin disease. It can cause red, inflammatory skin patches and intense itching on the inside of your thighs. The affected area of the skin may develop into blisters and eventually become infected.
Now we do not know the exact causes of eczema, but the latest research shows that stress, skin irritation, and allergens may lead to eczema. In addition, people with asthma or hay fever are more prone to get this disease.
When you have eczema, you’d better remove the allergens to minimize skin irritation and avoid wearing tight clothing.
Contact dermatitis is a skin inflammation caused by contact with allergens to which the skin is allergic to. The symptoms include skin irritation, itching, swelling, red bumps and blisters on the inner thighs. The rashes can cause you a lot of discomforts and even affect your quality of sleep.
Our skin is very sensitive, there are many allergens in our daily life that can stimulate our skin. Soaps, cosmetics, shower gels, new underwear, detergents and even certain plants such as poison ivy can cause contact dermatitis.
Therefore, in order to prevent contact dermatitis, you’d better avoid any skin irritation products.
Overweight people or those who have thicker tend to get an inner thigh rash. This is because when they are walking, running or cycling, the inner sides of their thighs rub against each other and produce more sweat.This will lead to intense itching and burning rashes.
Try to avoid certain sports such as jogging and cycling in hot weather, which can cause severe friction between the skin inside the thigh, leading to inner thigh rash. In addition, a lot of sweating during exercise will aggravate this problem.
When the weather is hot during summers, many people tend to get this rash called heat rash.This is because some regions such as groin, underarm or inner thigh are always covered with clothes and sweat a lot.This can cause clogged sweat glands and poor perspiration leads to inflammation of the skin and heat rash.
You can prevent heat rash by taking bath frequently and avoid any tight-fitting clothes.Try to wear cotton clothes that are loose, this can help absorb the sweat.Finally, apply talcum powder on the area that sweats a lot to keep skin dry.
Allergies are also a common cause of a rash on the inner thigh. Many people are allergic to medicines, foods, plants, clothes, etc. This allergy-induced rash is called urticaria. Common symptoms of urticaria are red rashes and extreme itching.
Sometimes allergies to foods can also lead to serious illnesses such as bronchial edema, dyspnea, decreased blood pressure, and dizziness. At this time you need to inject epinephrine immediately. If left untreated, they also affect other systems, such as kidneys, liver, and heart.
Some common foods that induce a hypersensitive reaction include peanuts, cashews, almonds, eggs, avocados, nuts, and some seafood etc.
Many people, especially women, often shave the hair on their inner thighs. This can cause sequelae of itching rashes. You can usually observe some small bumps on the inside of the thigh, which is also known as pruritic spots. If not treated, these spots may develop into blisters.
Try to avoid shaving the sensitive skin of the inner thigh, try to choose a sharp razor and moisturize the skin before shaving.
Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Some sexually transmitted diseases such as syphilis and genital herpes can also cause a rash on inner thighs.This rash can often spread from the genital area to the groin region.You may feel irritation itching in the genital and groin area.
Sexually transmitted diseases can cause skin infections and can spread to your sexual partners. You need to go to the hospital for proper treatment.
Insect bites may also cause red and itchy bumps on the inner thighs. These insects include mosquitoes, bugs, ants and more. The rash caused by insect bites does not last long and disappears within a few days.
If the symptoms are mild, you do not need any medical help. If the symptoms worse, you’d better consult your doctor.
There are some plants that can cause your skin to become irritated. Poison ivy is just one example but there are still a lot more that can cause rashes. Sometimes, it can differ from one person to another.
10 Natural Home Remedies to Get Rid of Rash on Inner Thigh
Do you know that ice can cause the inflammation of your skin to go down? At the same time, the coolness of ice numbs the nerve endings that might be causing your skin to itch. You can surely use an ice pack if you would like your skin to stop being inflamed and it will also help reduce the number of rashes that you currently have.
- If you do not have your own ice pack, you can create your own with the use of a clean cloth.
- Place the ice inside the ice pack or wrap the ice inside the cloth.
- Place it on the inflamed portion of your skin for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the ice pack.
The main reason why baking soda can be very effective in curing rashes is that of the fact that it can dry out the rashes in no time. Aside from that, the inflammation of your rashes will surely improve. At the same time, you will start to not feel too itchy anymore.
- Add baking soda to water. Make sure that you will place more water than baking soda so it will still be a mixture rather than a paste.
- Leave on the baking soda with water for about a few minutes.
- Rinse off with water once it dries a bit.
Do you know that oatmeal can be very helpful in getting rid of rashes? This is one of the home remedies most commonly used for children and babies who acquire rashes for different reasons. This means that it is effective for adults as well.
- Drop a cup of oatmeal into the water that you will use to bathe.
- Make sure that the oatmeal that you will use is uncooked.
- Bathe in the water and oatmeal.
- You will start to feel the difference after some time.
Apple Cider Vinegar
If you have seen apple cider vinegar in other lists before then, this will not surprise you at all that apple cider vinegar can also be very useful in getting rid of rashes. Do remember that this can be very helpful in lessening the itch that you may tend to feel because of having rashes on your inner thigh. The use of apple cider vinegar can also help reduce possible reasons why your rashes become even more aggravated.
- Make use of a cotton ball and dip it in apple cider vinegar.
- Place the cotton ball in the affected area of your inner thigh.
- Spread it around the area and wait for a few minutes.
- This can be done about 3 – 4 times every day until the rashes eventually go away.
The properties of chamomile tea are known to be very effective in getting rid of rashes. This is because it can help in making inflamed skin feel better. This is mostly used by people who have eczema although you can also do this home remedy if you know that your rashes are caused by something else.
- Place some tea bags in a basin of water.
- Wait for the tea bags to steep on the water while you are taking a bath. Do remember that the water does not have to be hot or boiling.
- Use the chamomile water as your last rinse after taking a bath.
- Focus on the area with rashes, and you will start to feel some relief after.
A lot of people make use of products that have olive oil because they know that it can be good for the skin but you are probably surprised to know that it can be good for getting rid of rashes as well. It contains antioxidants that can help make the skin free from skin irritants that might be causing your skin to become inflamed.
- Place just the right amount of olive oil on the area wherein there are rashes.
- You can do this about 2 – 3 times a day.
- You may also want to start doing it until such time when your rashes become healed.
If ever you usually get relief whenever you drink or eat anything that is minty, this can also be the same for your skin. Mint cools down the skin so this can calm down possible irritants and at the same time, this can help the skin feel better.
- You may want to make a mixture made out of everything mints such as mint, peppermint, and spearmint.
- Mix these ingredients with water.
- Place it on the skin and apply gauze over it.
- Leave this on the irritated portion of the skin overnight.
A lot of people are not aware that Neem has a lot of properties that can be very effective in getting rid of rashes and other forms of allergies of the skin. It has anti-irritants, analgesics and even a lot more that can treat various skin ailments.
- Add some Neem leaves to boiling water.
- Steep it in water for about 20 minutes.
- Strain the solution.
- Let it cool for a certain time being.
- Place the water on the affected area and let it stay there for about 5 – 10 minutes.
- This can be repeated several times a day.
Do you know that when you consume more vitamin C, there is a higher chance that you will not get rashes on your skin? Consuming vitamin C can also help get rid of possible bacteria that might cause the infection?
- Make sure that you will consume products that are rich in vitamin C. Citrus products can be useful for this.
- Keeping your skin healthy can also help prevent the onset of rashes.
You have probably heard about Coriander leaves but you are not aware that this can be used in order to get rid of rashes rash on inner thigh near the groin. This can be effective in getting rid of itchy and flaky skin brought about by the rashes. It can calm down and relax the skin so that it will not be that itchy anymore.
- Ground coriander leaves.
- Place the paste made out of coriander leaves on the affected area.
- Leave it on for about 20 minutes.
- Wash it off.
- This can be done 2x a day until the rashes go away.
How to Prevent Inner Thigh Rashes
- Try to wear loose clothing made of cotton or natural fibers and avoid wearing tight clothing，as this will prevent your sweat from evaporating, causing the skin to become damp.
- Try to change clothes often. For people who are prone to sweating, such as athletes and bus drivers, you need to change underwear every day.
- Keep your groin area dry.shower right after exercise and dry the body with a clean towel.Finally, apply talc in the groin area.
- Try to clean your clothes regularly and dry them in the sun, ultraviolet light in the sun can effectively eliminate the bacteria on the clothes.
- Avoid wiping the body with the towel used to dry your feet, especially if you have athlete’s foot. This can easily cause the fungus to move with the towel to the rest of the body.
With good treatment, the symptoms of rash will get better in 3-5 days and disappear within 3 to 4 weeks.If the rash still does not disappear in a month, you’d better go to the hospital for treatment.