Anyone who has ever fainted completely understands the urgency to rid yourself of this horrible sensation. There is nothing more debilitating than the act of fainting.
Sometimes you know you will faint; thus, you quickly try to change whatever it is that might be causing you this feeling. And then there are those rare moments when you’re knees lock and your head clouds up; then BAM, you’re on the floor.
But what can you do about fainting? There are thousands of wives-tales that all of your friends are more than willing to tell you. But most of the time, you find out that they don’t work, and their only use is to make you feel like an idiot around your friends. However, there are several natural remedies for fainting, and the ingredients don’t include public humiliation.
For those who aren’t familiar with fainting, it is basically when a person passes out and becomes unconscious. The causes for this type of behavior can vary due to many different and sometimes life-threatening variables. Some people deal with stress and anxiety by fainting when they get over nervousness or anxiety. This is how their body has chosen to deal with an overabundance of worry.
However, this is not extremely common and can be seen more in old black-and-white films than in real life. Yet, fainting is still a part of our everyday lives. Below are some of the other causes for why people faint; if you are a victim of this and don’t exactly know why perhaps one of these reasons is the cause.
Some people who have suffered from fainting may have some other problems. These problems include insulin shock, heat exhaustion, epilepsy, hysteria, anemia, and lack of oxygen. All of these are variables that can lead a person to faint.
However, in most cases, some of these problems are preventable, such as heat exhaustion. If you are working outside of out playing with your friends and begin to feel lightheaded and nauseous, find shade or air conditioning quickly and drink a glass of cold water. This should steer you away from the threat of fainting.
How to Get Rid of Fainting
Someone around you has fainted; what should you do? There are several natural treatments one can do to help bring someone out of a fainting spell or help protect them if they are prone to fainting. However, if you are around a person when they faint, there are several things you must do immediately.
1. Start by checking their pulse, heartbeat, and breathing patterns- ensure that everything is within the normal range. If you feel these factors are not in regular operation, immediately call for emergency help.
2. Usually, a splash of cold water in the face is enough to bring someone out of a faint, but remember, don’t drown them, splash them lightly.
3. Give them as much air as possible. This may be achieved by loosening tight clothing, opening windows and doors, and having others stand further back to clear an open space for fresh air.
4. If none of the above work, make your hand into a fist and slightly pound your back between the shoulders to stimulate the heart. Slightly pound!
5. When the person who has fainted wakes up, have them sip on a glass of cold water and try to keep them relaxed.
6. If available, put 8 drops of antispasmodic tincture on the back of the tongue.
7. There are times when artificial respiration or oxygen is required (CPR). Once the person is conscious again, find the cause for their lack of oxygen.
8. If you, or someone you know, has many fainting spells, drink a tea made of the following: Mint, Rue, Mistletoe, Rosemary, and Cayenne.