Do you want to remove the calluses on your feet? Calluses referred to the thickened and hard skin areas. They are caused by repeated irritation, pressure, and friction on a spot of your skin. The common causes include walking barefoot, playing a musical instrument, a long time working with hands, and wearing tight-fitting shoes.
Calluses on feet usually appear on the underside of the big toe and heel. These raised bumps can help protect your soft skin from being exposed to irritants or broken. Calluses usually become less sensitive to touch due to the thickening of the skin area.
Although calluses do not indicate a medical problem, there is no need to seek medical care. Many people think they are ugly and easy to breed bacteria. If you want to get rid of calluses, you can try some natural remedies at home. These methods can effectively help you get rid of calluses on your feet without harming your feet.
The Difference Between Corn and Calluses
Some people assume that corns and calluses are exactly the same but this is not true. Usually, corn appears on top of the foot and creates a certain shape.
Calluses are usually bigger than corns and have a slightly yellowish tinge. They do not usually feel pain because their skin is very thick. It somehow feels like a cushion for the balls of the feet.
An ear of corn on the other hand is something that forms in between the toes. They are usually cone-shaped and it may feel a bit prickly whenever you put pressure on it.
Common Causes of Calluses on Feet
There are many reasons for corn and calluses, but the main cause is foot pressure.
1. Your shoes are ill-fitting
Whether your shoes are tight, too loose, or uncomfortable, you have a higher chance of getting corns or calluses on your feet. Depending on the style of your shoes, you may get calluses at the bottom of your feet or above your feet.
How will you know which pair of shoes that you own is causing the problems? It will depend on what shoes you are wearing when the calluses started to form.
- High Heels can be ill-fitting because they put pressure on other parts of your feet. At the same time, they can cause your feet to compress.
- Loose shoes are ill-fitting because your feet may slide against the shoes and cause more friction than usual.
- Tight-fitting shoes are obviously ill-fitting because you are pressuring your feet into a size that is much smaller. The compression will probably be apparent in some areas of your feet that are too large for the shoes.
2. Not wearing shoes
Shoes are there in order to protect the feet from the hard floor and from other rough surfaces. If you walk or run for a long time without wearing shoes, some calluses will easily form on your feet.
3. Not wearing socks with your shoes
Socks is to help lessen the friction that may occur between your feet and the shoes that you are wearing. Socks can be helpful when the shoes that you are wearing are ill-fitting for your feet.
These are other possible reasons why you may form calluses on your feet:
- There are some jobs that would require you to stand up all the time. If you want to lessen the possibility of acquiring calluses, you may choose the right pair of shoes.
- If you have foot problems then you are more likely to form calluses and corns on your feet.
- Having sweaty feet can be an issue too because the sweat from your feet will cause your feet to slide more while you are wearing the shoes.
Now that you are aware of the various causes of calluses on your feet, what you should do is to find the right treatments at the soonest possible time.
How to Remove Calluses on Feet Fast?
Apple Cider Vinegar
Is there anything that ACV cannot do? ACV is known to be very useful not only for the body but also for doing some chores inside the house.
If you would like to treat your callus effectively, using ACV on it can make the callus go away after some time. It is naturally acidic that can help soften the hardened callus and improve the healing of the callus.
- Dip a cotton ball in ACV.
- Place it on the callus before you sleep.
- Leave overnight.
- Make sure that you will place oil on the sides of the callus because ACV may be too acidic for the other portions of your skin.
You may be familiar with the aspirin because this is what you take whenever you have a headache but the aspirin can do so much more. This will be effective in making the skin around the callus softer so that it will eventually break down and heal.
- You need about 5 – 6 pieces of aspirin.
- Crush all of the aspirin.
- Mix with a little bit of lemon juice and water.
- Apply the paste that you have created on the callus.
- Wrap with a towel for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Remove the towel and wash up the callus.
- Try scraping off the callus. If it does not want to scrape off yet, you may want to do the whole procedure another time.
- Repeat this once for a few days.
Lemon is always known to be used for various home remedies and it is not surprising that this is one home remedy that can be effective in getting rid of the calluses on your feet. It is naturally acidic so it can help break down the hard skin of the callus and let the callus heal faster and easier.
- You may choose to use the lemon juice or the lemon peel. Both can be effective.
- The lemon peel can be placed directly over the callus.
- Put a bandage over it so that the essence of the peel can be absorbed by the skin covering the callus.
- Remember to change the peel that you use for the callus every day.
A lot of people are already familiar with all the benefits that Epsom salt can provide and there is no reason for you not to know that this can also be effective for treating the calluses on your feet. The use of the salt will help make the whole area softer. You will have no problem with trying to scrape the area where the callus has formed away.
- You need to use hot water and a bit of Epsom salt.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Place your feet on the hot water with Epsom salt.
- Wait for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Check if the calluses on your feet have turned softer. If yes, then you can use a pumice stone to rub the area.
- Dry your feet and place lotion so that the whole feet will become moisturized. Doing this can lessen the possibility of forming new calluses on your feet.
If there is one thing that is evident about baking soda, it is the fact that this can be used in a variety of ways. This can be used as a remedy not only for the body but for cleaning various parts of the house as well.
If you do not want your hair to be too oily, using baking soda as a dry shampoo will be very effective. It can do so much more. Not surprisingly, this is one of the remedies that you can use in order to get rid of the calluses on your feet. Baking soda contains crystals that can help in making the skin softer.
- Place baking soda in a tub filled with water. The amount of baking soda you will place will depend on the size of the tub and the amount of water you have placed.
- Stir the baking soda in the water until the mixture is consistent.
- Soak in the tub for about 10 minutes.
- Wash your feet and rub with a pumice stone.
If in case you do not have a tub or you are not too comfortable soaking in baking soda, you can also make a baking soda paste that you can mix with water.
- Place directly on the callus and massage for a few minutes.
- Rinse off the baking soda with warm water.
- You can try using a pumice stone again in order to get rid of the callus effectively.
There are a lot of people who know that castor oil can be very useful because of its properties that can be effective in getting rid of the callus. You can expect that if you leave castor oil overnight, the callus will heal faster. This can also be effective in moisturizing the skin.
- Place a cotton swab with castor oil directly on the callus.
- Cover with adhesive tape so that the castor oil can be absorbed fully by the callus.
- Use old socks to keep the adhesive tape in place.
You know that the pineapple is very nice to eat and this may be the fruit that you always want to eat when the summer season comes around. Aside from the nice taste of the pineapple and all of its benefits, this is also an effective method to get rid of the calluses on your feet.
- You can remove the skin of the pineapple and use the peel for your callus.
- Using a medicated gauze, secure the pineapple peel on your callus.
- Remember that you need to change the pineapple peel every single day. If you don’t then it will not be effective.
What makes pineapples very effective for getting rid of calluses is because it is rich in enzymes that can help dissolve the dead tissues on your callus.
Onions are known to be naturally acidic. They are very effective in getting rid of calluses. Onions are very effective in getting rid of the inflammation that may be brought about by the callus found on the bottom of the feet.
- You need to get a thick onion slice.
- Add a few drops of lemon juice and a little bit of salt.
- Put the thick slice of onion on the callus.
- Leave on the callus overnight.
- You can secure it with a piece of tape.
- You need to do this every day until the callus goes away.
There are a lot of people who would like to drink chamomile tea in order to soothe and relax after a long and tiring day. You may not know it but chamomile tea can also be effective in getting rid of the calluses on your feet. This can balance the pH level of your feet so that it will not be too acidic or too basic.
- You can drink chamomile tea after you have used the tea bags.
- The teabags can then be placed on the calluses.
- Leave on the callused portions of your feet overnight.
Another option is to use chamomile tea as a foot soak. You can place about 4 – 5 cups of warm water and soak your feet for about 10 – 15 minutes. Rinse off the chamomile tea with soap and water.
All types of sugar are known to be good for exfoliating the skin so it is not surprising that sugar can be used on calluses in order to get rid of the hardened skin areas. Mix up the sugar scrub with mineral oil and the scrub will be more effective in getting rid of the calluses on your feet.
- You can use both brown and white sugar.
- Add mineral oil and mix well to form a paste.
- Add a few drops of lemon essential oil.
- Use on the portions of the feet where the calluses are located.
- Massage the feet for about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Rinse off the scrub from the feet with warm water.
- Do this 2- 3 times a day.
With all of these methods available to get rid of your calluses, which one are you willing to try first? Let us know which method worked well for you.
How to Protect Your Feet From Calluses?
“Prevention is better than cure”. Here are some simple ways to protect your feet from calluses formation:
- Creams & lotions:
Apply moisturizing creams and lotions on your feet twice a day, preferably before sleep. It will prevent excessive dryness which may lead to calluses formation.
- Cover properly:
Cover your feet properly, use frictionless comfortable socks. The sock is a perfect measure to prevent your feet from friction, they also provide full cover and shield your feet from the environment.
- Wear the perfect size of shoes:
Use fitted shoes exactly suiting your feet and replace them regularly if you are engaged in sports as they wear down. The perfect size is important for that but make sure they are comfortable as it will resist friction and protect your feet from excessive pressure.
- Avoid uneasy shoes:
Avoid shoes that are uneasy like heels and with pointed toes. Furthermore, a soft soul or shoe pad is crucial as it will provide a comfortable base for your feet and avoid friction. Make sure to replace the soul of shoes every month or less.
- Avoid walking barefooted:
It is a massive drawback of walking barefooted as your feet are prone to friction and pressure is exerting directly on your feet which are the major cause of calluses formation.
When to see a doctor?
Calluses are often harmless and cause no apparent pain and also aren’t associated with fever or other symptoms. However, attempts to peel them off with a sharp object at home often opens the door for the infectious microbes to invade the wound formed as a result, if that is the case then you should hastily see a doctor and use the medications prescribed.
It is best to see a doctor if calluses formation is excessive and take proper medications as recommended by the doctor.
These are the following group of medications usually recommended by the doctor but before using make sure you have the prescription or the doctor’s consent.
In case if you are having pain then pain-relieving tablets are often recommended which are efficient analgesics and give relief in a short time.
Preferably ointments are prescribed to coat the affected area with. It not only helps us get rid of calluses but also removes the scar which is cosmetically beneficial.
These are some simplest ways one can try in order to get rid of awful calluses and to have soft and smooth skin. Your feet play a crucial role in fulfilling daily tasks by helping you to walk and carry your body weight. Make sure to take care of your feet as it is a major necessity.