How to get rid of sinus infection fast?A sinus infection or sinusitis causes inflammation of the cavities or tissue lining around the sinuses (nasal passages). When sinuses become filled with fluid and get clogged, bacteria and other harmful microorganisms grow and result in an infection. Luckily, there are many solutions on how to get rid of a sinus infection that you can do at home.
Causes and Symptoms of Sinusitis
Sinus infection is usually caused by a virus, but it can also occur due to fungi or bacteria. The risk of developing sinusitis increases if you have:
- Sinus problems, such as nasal polyps, tumors, and deviated nasal septum
- Allergic condition that affects the nasal passages
- An immune system disorder or medical condition
In most cases, a sinus infection can be treated with home remedies. However, sinusitis that does not go away after 12 weeks even with medical and home treatments is known as chronic sinusitis.
The symptoms of acute sinusitis may include:
- Thick yellow or green discharge from your nose or back of your throat
- Nasal congestion
- Swelling, tenderness, pain, and pressure around your nose, cheeks, eyes or forehead
- A Headache, ear pressure, fatigue
- Reduced sense of taste and smell
- A Cough, bad breath
If your symptoms do not improve after a few days, see your doctor for diagnosis and treatment.
11 Natural Home Remedies For Sinus Infection Without Antibiotics
You can relieve the symptoms of sinusitis by using some of these home remedies.
1. Nasal Irrigation
Nasal irritation is one of the best methods when it comes to relieving irritation and nasal congestion. This treatment allows you to flush out nasal passages gently and clear out mucus using a saline solution. You can use a neti pot, bulb syringes, or special squeeze bottle to perform this simple technique.
- Add one teaspoon of pickling salt or sea salt in a glass of distilled, filtered or sterilized water. Make sure that you do not use table salt as it may contain additives.
- Add one-half teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide or a pinch of baking soda in the mixture.
- Pour the solution into a bulb syringe or neti pot.
- Stand over a basin or sink and spray, pour or squirt some of the solutions into your nostril. Tilt your head to allow the liquid flow out of your other nostril.
- Repeat with your other nostril to remove bacteria and other irritants.
Follow this treatment once a day to alleviate the symptoms of sinus infection.
2. Raw Honey
Honey is naturally antiseptic, antibacterial and antiviral, making it one of the best solutions on how to get rid of a sinus infection. It helps in reducing the inflammation and soothes the throat. Honey also helps in strengthening the immune system, which is important in fighting the bacteria or virus that cause the infection. There are many ways to use honey for treating sinusitis:
- Mix one tablespoon of honey with two teaspoons of lemon juice. Consume this mixture to expel mucus and treat sinusitis.
- Another option is to mix one tablespoon of honey with ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon. Consume this paste once a day to help your body clear mucus.
- You can also add two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in one cup of water. Bring this to boil and remove from heat. Add one tablespoon of raw honey. Drink this three times a day to treat the infection.
Raw, organic honey can alleviate a headache, swelling, nasal congestion, pressure and difficulty in breathing.
3. Fenugreek Seeds
Fenugreek has been used for treating sinusitis since the ancient times due to its powerful anti-inflammatory properties. It can alleviate irritation and inflammation in the nasal passages, providing you relief.
- Add one to two teaspoons of fenugreek seeds in a cup of water and bring this to boil.
- Remove from the heat and strain.
- Add one teaspoon of raw honey.
- Let it cool down a bit and drink this juice while it is still warm.
- Drink this blend three times daily.
Fenugreek may cause side-effects like coughing, facial swelling, and panting (symptoms of asthma). Consult your physician first before considering this remedy.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar contains antibacterial, antiseptic and acidic content that can help in preventing the infection from getting worse. It also contains essential vitamins, minerals, and nutrients that break up the mucus and clear the symptoms of sinusitis.
- In a glass of warm water, add two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar. You can also add some stevia for additional taste. Drink this mixture two times daily until the infection is gone.
- Alternatively, you can mix two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a cup of warm water. Add one tablespoon of honey and stir well. Consume this concoction to cure sinusitis.
- You can also combine one-fourth cup each of water and apple cider vinegar. Bring this to boil and add one tablespoon of cayenne pepper and honey. Consider adding some fresh lemon juice for additional health benefits. Drink this once a day for best results.
Note: Keep in mind that consuming too much apple cider vinegar can damage teeth and irritate throat and esophagus. It is best to dilute ACV first if you are worried about these risks.
5. Tea Tree Oil
One of the best natural remedies for sinusitis, tea tree oil contains antiviral and antibacterial properties that combat the virus or bacteria causing the infection. This oil also contains anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties which soothe the nasal passages and reduce other symptoms like sinus pressure, chest congestion, cold, and headache.
- Add a few drops of tea tree oil in a pot of boiling water. Cover your head with a towel and lean forward towards the bowl. Inhale the steam for a few minutes to get relief. Follow this treatment two times daily.
- You can also add 12 to 15 drops each of tea tree, lemon, and rose geranium oil in your bathtub filled with warm water. Soak your body in the solution and inhale the scent of the essential oils.
- You can also do nasal irrigation and add a few drops of tea tree oil in your saline solution.
If you are at work and you do not have the time to prepare any of the methods above, you can add a few drops of tea tree oil on a tissue paper or handkerchief. Inhale the scent throughout the day.
6. Cayenne Pepper
The capsaicin in the cayenne pepper is what gives this popular spice its distinctive flavor as well as its medicinal effects. When capsaicin or cayenne enters the body, it calms the senses by triggering the release of liquids for cooling down. It also reduces inflammation, swelling, strengthens immunity, and enhances circulation.
- Add one teaspoon of cayenne pepper in a cup of warm water.
- Drink the mixture three times a day to get relief.
Another option is to mix one teaspoon each of honey and cayenne pepper. Consume this three times daily.
Garlic contains powerful antifungal, antiviral and antibacterial properties, making it one of the best solutions on how to get rid of a sinus infection. This readily available ingredient also contains expectorant and decongestant properties which help unclog the nasal passages and give relief from congestion and pressure.
- Bring a pot of water to boil and add 3 to 5 crushed garlic cloves. Let it simmer for a few minutes before removing the pot from the flame. Wrap your head in a towel and inhale the steam for a few minutes. Repeat this treatment twice daily.
- Another option is to combine garlic with turmeric powder. In a saucepan, pour one cup of water and bring it to boil. Add 4 garlic cloves and ½ tablespoon of turmeric powder. Stir it well and pour the mixture into a cup. Consume this to treat the infection fast.
- You can also blend 5 garlic cloves and mix it with two teaspoons of honey. Take this mixture before meals.
Note: Do not consume too much garlic as it may lead to burning sensation, allergic reaction, digestive problems, bad breath, and other side effects.
Onion contains potent antibacterial properties, thanks to its sulfur content that combat fungi and bacteria. This vegetable is very effective when it comes to treating a sinus infection.
- Slice an onion and add the pieces to a pot of boiling water. Let it boil for five minutes and inhale the scent. Strain and drink the liquid to get relief. Follow this treatment a few times daily to clear your nasal passages.
- You can also peel and mince six garlic cloves. Slice 8 radishes and 1 onion. Blend all ingredients and add one cup each of lemon juice and honey. Store this mixture in refrigerator. Consume two tablespoons of it daily.
- Another option is to mix three teaspoons of onion juice with some honey and consume this two times a day.
Any type of onion will work, but the best ones are red, white, and brown onions.
Ginger contains anti-inflammatory, antibiotic, and antiviral properties that help in treating sinusitis and other infections. It has been used for years to treat different health problems, from sinus problems to gastrointestinal upset. Thanks to its polyphenols, it can stop the excessive production of mucus. It also reduces swelling, pain, and pressure around your eyes, head, and face.
- Slice a piece of fresh ginger root into small pieces.
- Add it in one cup of water and bring it to boil over low heat.
- Strain and add some honey and lemon juice for additional health benefits.
- Drink this tea two or three times a day to speed up your healing process.
You can also make a ginger compress by brewing ginger tea and dip a clean towel into it. Squeeze out excess liquid and apply it to your face. Inhale the steam. Repeat the application three to five times.
10. Oregano Oil
Oregano contains antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties, making it one of the effective methods on how to get rid of a sinus infection naturally.
- Add two drops of oregano oil in a glass of warm water. Drink this two times a day to clear the infection.
- Another option is to add a few drops of oregano oil in one-half cup of water. Bring this to boil and inhale the steam. This treatment will help you get relief by opening up the nasal passages and clearing the congestion. Follow this treatment once or twice a day.
Oregano oil is also a great immune-booster. You can also put two drops of this oil under your tongue for instant relief.
11. Turmeric Powder
Turmeric has anti-inflammatory, antiviral, and antibiotic properties that help in alleviating congestion and treating sinusitis. The curcumin compounds in turmeric also reduce the swelling in the sinuses and open the airways.
- Add one teaspoon of turmeric powder in a glass of warm milk. You can also add a bit of honey for additional taste. Drink this once a day until the sinus infection is gone.
- You can also make a turmeric smoothie by combining one tablespoon of honey, two pieces of turmeric root, lemon juice, one banana, a pinch of cayenne pepper, and one-half cup of water. Blend all ingredients and drink this nutritious smoothie once a day.
How to Prevent Sinusitis
- Drink a lot, whether it is water or juice. More than two liters a day especially if the symptoms continue.
- Avoid dust or smoke pollution, because this further irritates the nasal cavity.
- Prefer humid places, In order to wet the room, you can place a water or use special equipment.
- Wet your nose with compresses of hot water. Showers are also recommended because the steam helps release the nasal sinuses.
- Do not use too many inhalers, because, in the long run, they will be counterproductive.
- Clean your nose well. You can find some products containing water and salt in the pharmacy.
With these simple solutions on how to get rid of the sinus infection, you can alleviate the symptoms naturally. Try one or two methods and see what works best for your condition.Also, drink plenty of water throughout the day to flush out toxins and help your body expel mucus. You may also consider using an essential oil diffuser or humidifier to keep your sinuses moist.In case of severe and persistent sinus infection, it is best to visit your doctor to determine the underlying cause of the problem.