There are a lot of people who may not be too familiar with the term “sour stomach.” Basically, this is a term that is commonly associated with various problems with the stomach. This term is also known as an upset stomach. The good thing about this is that there are a lot of remedies that are available that are meant to improve the stomach’s condition.
Various Causes of Sour Stomach
It will be hard for you to understand exactly what sour stomach is if you do not know what can cause it. Remember that it may be caused by a wide variety of things. Perhaps you have gotten a sour stomach because of the food that you have decided to eat. Here are just some of the possible causes of getting a sour stomach:
- Eating too quickly in one sitting – You have to remember that in order to help the body digest faster, you should not eat too quickly. The body starts digesting from the mouth. Make sure that you chew slowly and you will avoid getting a sour stomach.
- Lying down after eating – There is a possibility that as the acids of your stomach start to digest the food that you have eaten, lying down will make the acids go up to the esophagus.
- Gastrointestinal Infection – If you suspect that you have this condition, you should have yourself checked by the doctor in order to find the underlying condition.
- Exercising hard after eating – Although it is recommended that you exercise from time to time, you are not supposed to do this after eating as this will only cause your body to have issues in digesting food.
- Aerophagia – If you are not too familiar with what this is, this is also known as swallowing too much air while you are eating.
- Reduced Sleep – Not getting enough sleep throughout the day is reason enough to get a sour stomach. This may be aggravated further if the reason why you have not gotten enough sleep is that you have gone to a party.
If you are experiencing a sour stomach that comes with vomiting or bowel problems like diarrhea, it may be caused by Gastroenteritis. This is usually caused by eating spoiled food, getting food poisoned or being extremely allergic to the food that you have eaten.
There are still other possible reasons why you are experiencing a sour stomach but if in case you are not familiar with the signs that you have to watch out for, here are a few symptoms:
- Nausea – This is the type of feeling that you may feel before you vomit. When you experience this type of feeling, the best thing to do is to try to relax. This can be particularly hard especially when you are trying your best not to vomit. Feeling nauseous can last for a long period of time so you just have to breathe properly.
- Regurgitation – This is when the food that you have eaten goes up again. There is a possibility that although this is a bit different from vomiting wherein all of the food that you have eaten goes back up, there may be a portion of partially digested food that will be released from your mouth. It can leave an acidic taste in your mouth but you rinse it off with water. Remember that if you experience regurgitation, it is recommended that you do not brush your teeth immediately because the acids that have gone inside your mouth will make the enamel weaker than usual.
- Bloating of the Stomach – Even if you have just eaten a small amount of food, there is a tendency that you will feel that your stomach is gassy. This can make you feel very uncomfortable. You will know if you are feeling some bloat when you try to push up your lower abdomen and you will burp or let go of gas afterward.
- Stomach Pain – Stomach bloating may originate from the lower part of the abdomen but for stomach pain, you cannot help but feel your whole abdomen contract and be painful.
- Heartburn – When the stomach acids go up, there is a tendency for people to feel pain in between their abdomen and the chest area.
There are still other symptoms that you may feel. Generally, if you feel any discomfort that stems from the abdomen, this is already a sign that you are already experiencing a sour stomach. Your main goal here is to make sure that you are going to get rid of your sour stomach at the soonest possible time.
How to Get Rid of a Sour Stomach Fast and Naturally
If you have already experienced a sour stomach like before, it is important to remember that there are some symptoms that you may feel. It is best that you will get rid of the feeling of having a sour stomach as soon as possible.
It is best that you will try to do some home remedies first before you try taking medications for your sour stomach because it will only trouble you. These home remedies may take longer to take place than medications but at least, you can be sure that they are 100% safe.
If you are having some issues with your stomach, you know that you can improve its current condition by sipping on carrots and water. Carrots are effective in absorbing the excess acid that may be causing your stomach to feel sour.
- You may need to steep some chopped or sliced carrots in warm water for a few minutes.
- Remove the chopped or the sliced carrots before drinking.
- If you want to make the juice taste better, you may add more honey and mint.
Apple Cider Vinegar
A lot of lists will not be complete without the inclusion of ACV. This is known to be used for a variety of other things. It can be used for different items around the home or it may also be used to cure different body conditions.
- Mix a teaspoon of ACV with a glass of water.
- Sip the mixture slowly once in every meal.
- You can also sip the ACV the moment that you feel that you are experiencing some symptoms.
Caraway Seed Tea
This is another popular home remedy that is available and is actually quite easy to make as long as you have the caraway seeds. This has been done by different people in the past so there is absolutely no reason that it will not be useful now. If in case you are hurrying or you have no time to make the tea, you can also chew on the caraway seeds.
- Add two cups of boiling water to caraway seeds.
- Cover the cup of water first in order to let the seeds steep.
- Remove the seeds before drinking.
- This should be taken twice a day. Make sure that your stomach is empty whenever you drink the mixture.
Fennel Seeds Tea
If the sour stomach that you are experiencing is causing you to feel bloated, this may be the best option available as this can help get rid of the bloat that you are experiencing. Naturopaths have used this type of remedy for a long period of time so there is no reason for you not to try it out now.
- Add a few seeds in hot water.
- Wait for a few minutes before you drink.
- Drink on an empty stomach to make it more effective.
If you want to get rid of the irritation brought about by having a sour stomach then you can count on bananas to do the work for you. A benefit that you can get from banana is that it is full of potassium which means that it can get rid of the excess acid found in your stomach. Just remember, if you have just thrown up, you may want to steer clear of this home remedy first as this can make you feel more nauseous.
- You may choose to eat one whole ripe banana. If you feel that you cannot take the full banana, you can eat half first then eat the other half when you are feeling better.
- Do not eat the banana when it is not ripe yet as this may aggravate your current condition.
This is one of the items that you have at home. You may think that this is only used for baking but you can use it for other things that you may not be too familiar with. If you have never used it to clean some of your counters at home, then you are missing out. At the same time, baking soda can be used in order to improve your current condition.
- Place half a teaspoon of baking soda in one glass of water.
- Drink the mixture slowly. The taste may not be too good but it will still be worth it when you start to get relief from your sour stomach.
- You can drink it around 2 – 3 times a day or at least until you see some improvements.
Ginger is known to be good for a variety of different things. This is known to be good for the throat especially when you are suffering from a sore throat. What you may not realize is this can be good for your stomach too. This can help stimulate digestion so that the food that may be causing your uneasiness will be removed from your body.
- Drink this ginger tea when your stomach is empty. If you would try to drink this when you have a few food products in your stomach, it may increase your stomach’s uneasiness.
- Place grated ginger in a cup of hot water.
- Cover the cup and let the ginger steep for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the ginger.
- Drink the ginger tea slowly.
Cinnamon Powder Tea
The great thing about this type of tea is that it is always available. Even if you do not have it right now, you can ask for cinnamon powder tea from someone that you know and you will be given just the right amount you need in order to get rid of your upset stomach.
- You just need to place 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder tea in a glass of hot water.
- You can wait for it to cool if you are not too fond of hot drinks but drinking it while it is hot will be okay as well.
- You can drink this whenever you start to experience some symptoms of having a sour stomach.
There is a bigger possibility that you will suffer from a sour stomach if you would lie down immediately after eating or you would sit down immediately after eating. If you want to avoid the discomfort and uneasiness of having a sour stomach do the following:
- You need to keep standing at least up to 30 minutes after you have eaten. This is especially true after eating a heavy meal.
- By standing upright, you are letting your esophagus and stomach to stretch so that it will be easier for the food that you have eaten to be digested.
- The moment that you feel that the symptoms are starting to improve, that is the time when you can sit down.
Avoid anything that might aggravate your condition further
Since you already know that you are not feeling well, you should not aggravate your condition further. Avoid anything that you may possibly be allergic to. You should also avoid taking carbonated beverages. You are not recommended to drink alcohol as well.
It should be remembered that if all of the home remedies that are mentioned above do not work for you, you should seek help from the physician immediately. Your physician will diagnose your condition and will prescribe a certain diet or may also let you take medications that will get rid of the discomfort that you are feeling.