Have you ever experienced getting stomach ache and cramps and you do not know how to rid of the pain?Stomach ache is a common problem that results in nausea, vomiting, bloating, and diarrhea. You can experience mild to sharp abdominal pain, making it difficult to concentrate on your daily tasks. The common causes of this condition include constipation, indigestion, heartburn, trapped gas, lactose intolerance, overeating, and stomach infection. However, stomach pain can be caused by appendicitis, gall stones, hernia or urinary tract infection.
In most cases, stomach aches can be treated with simple home remedies that are readily available in your kitchen. When your abdomen or stomach hurts, this means that your body needs help in expelling gas or other substances.
Natural Remedies to Get Rid of Stomach Ache Fast
Here are some of the most recommended remedies to soothe abdominal or stomach pain.
1. Chamomile Tea
Chamomile possesses antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and sedative properties, making it an excellent treatment for stomach pain. If your condition is caused by indigestion, chamomile is the right treatment for you as it soothes and relaxes the muscles in digestive tract.
- Add one teaspoon of dried chamomile in a cup filled with boiled water.
- Cover and let it steep for at least 10 minutes.
- Strain and add some honey or lemon juice for additional benefits.
- Enjoy this tea.
Drink chamomile tea twice or thrice a day to relax your stomach.
2. Warm Compress
One of the effective solutions on how to get rid of stomach ache fast is a warm compress. Heat helps in relaxing muscles, making it effective in treating cramps and discomfort. To use this technique, you will need a hot water bottle, hot pack or something similar.
- Lie down on your bed or couch.
- Place the hot pack or hot water bottle on your stomach. Make sure that it is not too hot to touch, but warm enough to relax your muscles.
- Let it sit for at least 15 minutes or as long as the pack is still warm.
- Reheat and follow this treatment as needed.
You can also take a warm shower or bath for 15 minutes to relieve stomach ache.
3. Plain Yogurt
Yogurt contains live cultures or good bacteria. It is good not only for your digestive tract, but also for your overall health. You can enjoy a cup of plain yogurt if you have stomach ache caused by indigestion.
- Eat unsweetened yogurt two to three times a day until your stomach age disappears.
- Another option is to mix 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt in a cup of water. Add a pinch of salt and 3 teaspoons of juice extracted from coriander leaves. Add ½ teaspoon of cardamom powder. Consume this concoction 1 hour after eating to alleviate stomach pain.
Since the ancient times, people regard ginger as the cure for everything, from nausea to pain. Studies have also shown that ginger can be an effective treatment for upset stomach. It contains antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that can improve digestion and relieve pain. In addition, ginger helps in reducing free radicals and neutralizes stomach acids. Here’s how to get rid of stomach ache fast with ginger.
- Cut a medium-size ginger root into small pieces. Add the ginger pieces in a cup of water and bring this to boil for 3 minutes. Let it simmer for 5 minutes more and strain. Add honey for additional flavor and benefits. Drink this tea slowly. Follow this treatment 2 or 3 times a day to improve digestion and ease stomach pain.
- Alternatively, wash, peel and cut a medium-sized ginger root. Cut an apple and 5 small carrots into small pieces. Blend all ingredients and drink this smoothie. You can also add a small amount of lemon juice.
- Ginger with ghee is also useful when it comes to stomach ache. Crush a small piece of ginger to obtain its juice. Combine it with ½ teaspoon of ghee or clarified butter. Consume this regularly to alleviate the pain.
Eating a piece of ginger or adding more ginger to your daily meals can help treat stomach problems. Regular consumption of ginger helps in preventing various stomach problems.
Peppermint is also one of the effective ways to ease upset stomach. It contains antispasmodic effect that can relax the muscles in your digestive tract, relieving pain caused by bloating and trapped gas. This herb is also effective in improving the process of digestion.
- Add 1 teaspoon of dried peppermint or 1 tea bag to a cup of boiled water.
- Let it steep for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Strain and drink this tea while it’s still warm. You can also add some honey for additional taste.
Another option is to chew some peppermint leaves a few times a day to get immediate relief from stomach ache.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar
You can also try this acidic pantry staple to soothe your upset stomach. The acids in apple cider vinegar help in reducing starch digestion to get the starch to the intestines and maintain the amount of good bacteria in the digestive tract. Some people also take one spoon of ACV daily to improve digestion.
- Add 1 to two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar to a cup of warm water. Drink this solution before eating your meals.
- Another option is to add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, ¼ teaspoon of salt in a bottle of water. Sip this mixture slowly throughout your day to get rid of stomach ache.
- You can also mix 1 or 2 tablespoons of ACV with 1 tablespoon of honey. Consume this 10 to 15 minutes before eating your meals.
You may consider drinking this regularly to prevent stomach problems. Use a straw while drinking ACV to prevent damages to your teeth. Rinse your mouth with water after 20 minutes.
7. Rice Water
Rice water acts as a natural demulcent, a substance that alleviates inflammation by creating a soothing barrier in the lining of your digestive tract. It is also considered as one of the best natural remedies to get rid of stomach ache caused by indigestion.
- Wash ½ cup of white rice.
- Add 6 cups of water in a pan and bring this to boil. Add rice in it.
- Allow the rice to cook uncovered.
- Strain the water and wait for it to cool down.
- Add ½ teaspoon of honey for additional flavor and benefits.
- Drink the rice water slowly while it is still warm.
You can eat the rice later for your next meal.
8. Lemon Water
Lemon water helps in treating stomach ache caused by indigestion. It contains high acidity level that stimulates the release of hydrochloric acid (stomach acid) to improve the process of digestion. In addition, drinking lemon water keeps your body hydrated and helps your system flush unwanted substances.
- Cut a fresh lemon in half.
- Squeeze out its juice and mix with a glass of water.
- Drink this concoction to soothe your digestive tract.
You may also consider drinking lemon water every morning to improve your digestion throughout the day.
9. Baking Soda
Baking soda neutralizes hydrochloric acid to provide immediate relief. It helps in breaking down food for faster digestion. It relieves trapped gas along with bloating and eliminates toxic substances present in the stomach. Here’s how to get rid of stomach ache fast with baking soda.
- Add 1 to 2 tablespoon of baking soda in a glass of warm water. Stir well and consume this solution slowly to alleviate stomach pain caused by acidity and indigestion.
- Alternatively, you can make your own antacid drink by mixing one-half teaspoon each of water and baking soda. Consume this quickly for immediate relief.
- Another option is to mix ½ teaspoon of baking soda and juice from 2 fresh lemons. Stir well and add honey while it is foaming. Drink this concoction to heal the pain.
- You can also mix 1 teaspoon each of baking soda, apple cider vinegar, and honey in a glass of water. Drink this mixture twice a day to relieve stomach pain.
Do not take baking soda in large amounts as it may elevate high blood pressure.
Also known as hing, asafetida contains antiflatulent and antispasmodic properties that can help in treating stomach pains caused by indigestion, bloating, and trapped gas.
- Add 1 pinch of asafetida in a glass of warm water.
- You can also add some salt to taste.
- Stir it well and consume this drink up to three times a day.
Another option is to add 1 teaspoon of asafetida to a bowl of warm water. Soak a clean cotton cloth in the solution. Squeeze out the excess and place it over your stomach. Let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes to reduce stomach pain. Repeat this treatment as many times as needed.
If your stomach pain is caused by indigestion, you can get immediate relief from fennel seeds. They contain diuretic, carminative, antimicrobial and pain-relieving properties, making it effective in treating indigestion, bloating, and trapped gas.
- Chew 1 to 1 ½ teaspoons of fennel seeds after a heavy meal to soothe your stomach.
- Alternatively, add 1 teaspoon of crushed fennel seed to a cup of boiled water. Let it steep for 10 minutes and strain. Add a small amount of honey for additional flavor and health benefits. Drink this slowly while it is still warm. Follow this treatment three times a day to get relief from stomach pain.
- Another option is to drink herbal tea that contains licorice and fennel.
12. Lime and Club Soda
Like lemon, lime is also useful in treating stomach aches. Combining it with club soda may help in reducing the pain by encouraging you to burp. Here’s how to get rid of stomach ache fast with lime and club soda.
- Mix fresh lime juice from half of a lime with 8 ounces of soda.
- Stir and sip this drink slowly.
This technique alleviates pressure in the belly, making it useful for helping constipation and indigestion.
13. Diet Plan
Creating a diet plan can help you reduce the risk of developing stomach pain.
- Whenever you experience stomach ache, have BRAT: banana, rice, applesauce and toast. These foods assist with digestion and alleviate upset stomach. Toast help in neutralizing toxins to reduce the pain.
- Consider eating bland foods like pasta, rice, oatmeal, toast, and yogurt. These are easy to digest and do not irritate the stomach.
- Drink plenty of water to flush out unwanted substances from the body.
- Avoid spicy, oily, and junk foods as these foods are more difficult to digest and often lead to stomach ache.
- Instead of 3 large meals, have 5 to 6 small meals. Eating large meals may result in indigestion, vomiting or nausea.
Additional Tips to Follow
Follow these tips to prevent or relieve stomach ache.
- Always eat plain yogurt, kefir, and green leafy vegetables to increase the amount of good bacteria in your digestive tract. Doing so will also prevent various diseases, including fungal infections.
- Consume foods rich in fiber to aid digestion. Include apricots, cherries, raisins, and prunes in your diet as these foods contain fiber.
- Do not lie down completely right after taking your meals.
- Drink aloe vera juice to treat stomach pain caused by trapped gas, constipation and cramps. This will also keep your body hydrated.
- To get relief from stomach pain and nausea, consider drinking a small amount of cola syrup.
- Foot reflexology, acupressure and acupuncture help in treating various kinds of pain, including stomach ache.
Having a stomach ache can greatly affect your daily tasks as you will lose concentration and focus due to discomfort. They are often caused by indigestion, trapped gas, constipation, and diarrhea. Fortunately, there are many natural remedies that you can use to get relief from the pain.
If you are still experiencing stomach or abdominal pain after three days or it keeps coming back, it is best to seek medical attention for proper diagnosis. Some stomach ache could be a symptom of gallstone, kidney stone, appendicitis, ulcer, hernia, Chron’s disease and other serious conditions that require medical intervention.