Stretch marks are a long and narrow lines on the skin with an off-color hue. They can be white, blue, red, pink or purple streaks and may cover large areas of the body. Stretch marks usually appear in the abdomen, but it can also appear in the thighs, buttocks, breasts, upper arms, waist and hips. They are a form of scarring on the skin surface.
Stretch marks appear due to the stretching of the skin and release of cortisone – a hormone that weakens the skin’s elastic fibers. When the skin is quickly and exceeds the strength of its flexibility. The normal production cycle of collagen is interrupted and results in scars or marks on the skin.
Stretch marks often occur during the pregnancy or the periods of rapid growth and drastic change in your weight. Although pregnancy is the main reason of stretch marks, other causes can also causes stretch marks. These causes include weight gain, bodybuilding and weight loss or hormonal changes in puberty.
Not only do women suffer from stretch marks, but men also get it. However,women have a higher probability.Although they are not harmful or painful, some people feel distressed and look for ways to get rid of stretch marks.
Stretch marks may decrease over time but they will not completely disappear. Fortunately, there are many natural ways to reduce the appearance of stretch marks. Follow any of these treatments below to remove the streaks. Keep in mind that it will take patience and perseverance to notice improvements.
How to Get Rid of Stretch Marks From Pregnancy
According to a recent survey,more than 50% of women have stretch marks during pregnancy. And they usually form in the last three months.
When you are pregnant, your skin layers will stretch over as your baby grows fast. In addition, the changes of hormones in your body during pregnancy can also lead to loose skin. These factors can cause stretch marks on your abdomen,breasts and thighs.
You can massage the affected area with creams, oils, or lotions gently. This will not make the stretch marks disappear. However, it can smooth, supple your skin and remove the itchy skin.
Olive oil contains polyphenols, phytosterols, and vitamin E that can enhance skin’s elasticity and collagen production. It also contains antioxidants and essential nutrients that can accelerate the healing process of skin cells and reduce the scars.
- Apply olive oil directly on your skin and massage the area in circular motions for five minutes. Allow your skin to absorb the oil by wrapping the area using saran wrap. Follow this treatment twice daily.
- You can also combine olive oil with castor oil for a more powerful punch. Mix one teaspoon each of these oils and apply the mixture on the affected areas. Massage the skin for 10 minutes and cover the area with a cloth. Apply a heat compress for 20 minutes before washing off your skin. Follow this treatment once a day.
- Alternatively, you can combine equal amounts of olive oil and fresh aloe vera gel. Apply this mixture two to three times a day.
How to Get Rid of Stretch Marks From Gaining Weight
Weight gain is the most common cause of stretch marks outside of pregnancy. A rapid increase in body weight can cause your skin to be over stretched, leaving an unsightly stretch marks.
Many people ask if weight gain can lead to stretch marks, does stretch marks disappear after weight loss? Unfortunately, losing weight does not necessarily eliminate them. Conversely, the lines may get worse.
After weight loss, the skin will get back to its position along with stretch marks. This will make stretch marks closer to each other and more obvious than before. However, there are some natural remedies to make the stretch marks less visible after weight loss.
- Drinking 8 to 10 glasses of water daily. This can help the skin maintain moisture and elasticity, reducing stretch marks visibility.
- Apply lotions, moisturizing cream or olive oil to affected areas. Then massage the affected area gently with your finger. This can effectively help rebuild collagen and reduce the stretch marks.
- Potatoes contain polyphenols, phytochemicals, and carotenoids, which help in enhancing the texture and appearance of the skin. The vitamins and minerals in this vegetable can accelerate the growth of skin cells. Cut a piece of potato and apply it to your affected area. Let it dry for 5-10 minutes before rinsing off with lukewarm water.
- Lemon juice is a natural bleach that can effectively lessen your stretch marks. The acidic properties in lemon help treat stretch marks, pimples and other blemishes. Cut a fresh lemon and squeeze the lemon juice. Apply it on your skin for 5-10 minutes before washing it off with warm water.
How to Reduce Exercise-Induced Stretch Marks
In addition to pregnancy or gaining weight too fast, working out can also lead to stretch marks. Rapidly building muscles will stretch your skin. When it exceeds its elastic capacity, stretch marks appear.
Stretch marks often appear in the thighs, back ,chest and insides edges of your arms. Here are some useful tips for removing the stretch marks from working out.
- Eat a healthy diet such as vegetables, fruits, leptin and whole grains. These foods can help produce collagen that can repair your over-stretched skin dents.
- Avoid excessive weight you lift during exercise. Fast-growing muscles can damage your skin and lead to stretch marks.You can use a lighter weight instead and increase the number of repetitions appropriately.
- Tretinoin cream is another effective remedy that can make your stretch marks lighter. Apply this cream directly to your affected area 1-2 times daily. This cream can help boost collagen production and lighten redness on the skin.
How To Get Rid of Stretch Marks Naturally
1. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is a well-known herb for treating various skin problems. It contains soothing and healing properties that can help in reducing the appearance of stretch marks and other skin blemishes.
- Take a big aloe vera leaf and cut it in half. Extract its gel and apply it directly on your skin. Let it sit for 15 minutes or more and rinse the skin. Repeat this treatment daily.
- Alternatively, you can mix one-fourth cup of fresh aloe vera gel with five vitamin A capsules and 10 vitamin E capsules. Apply the mixture on your skin while rubbing gently. Allow your skin to absorb the gel and oils. Follow this process once a day for best results.
- Another option is to blend 1 cup of aloe vera, 2 teaspoons of almond oil, and 2 teaspoons of honey. Apply this on the scars and let it sit for 45 minutes.
One of the best remedies to get rid of stretch marks naturally is sugar, as it can exfoliate your skin naturally. Many people use sugar as a homeopathic microdermabrasion method.
- Mix one tablespoon of white sugar with some castor, coconut or almond oil. Add a few drops of lemon juice as it contains vitamin C, which is essential for the production of collagen. Apply the mixture on the affected areas. Rub the mixture for 8 to 10 minutes before taking a bath or shower. Follow this treatment daily until the marks fade.
- Another option is to mix equal parts of sugar, honey, and olive oil. Apply the mixture on your skin and massage in circular motion for 10 minutes. Let it sit for a while before rinsing off with cold water.
Note: Do not use this treatment if there are cuts or bruises in the area.
3. Castor Oil
Like aloe vera, castor oil is also used in treating different types of skin problems, such as fine lines, wrinkles, moles, pimples, and age spots. This oil is also considered as one of the best solutions on how to get rid of stretch marks naturally.
- Apply castor oil directly on the affected area.
- Give the skin a massage in circular motions for at least five minutes.
- Wrap the area with a cotton cloth.
- Apply some heat over the area using a heating pad or hot water bottle. Let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Follow this treatment daily for a month or so to see improvements.
4. Egg Whites
Egg whites contain high levels of proteins and amino acids, making it one of the best natural methods on how to get rid of stretch marks at home. In this method, you will only use the egg whites and save the yolk for other purposes.
- Take two eggs and obtain the whites. Whip the egg whites with a fork.
- After washing your skin, apply egg whites on the affected area.
- Let it dry completely before washing off with cold water.
- Once you are done, apply coconut or olive oil to moisturize your skin.
- Repeat this treatment once a day until you are satisfied with the results.
5. Cocoa Butter
When it comes to treating dry skin, eczema, wrinkles or stretch marks, you can always bet on cocoa butter for its excellent moisturizing properties. It can reduce the streaks on your skin, leaving it smooth and nourished.
- Apply cocoa butter directly on the stretch marks and massage the area in circular motion. Repeat the application twice daily for a month or more.
- You can also mix one-half cup of cocoa butter with two teaspoons of grated beeswax, and one teaspoon of vitamin E oil and apricot kernel oil. Heat the mixture to melt beeswax and let it cool down a bit. Apply it on the affected areas twice or thrice daily.
This mixture will not only reduce the appearance of stretch marks but will also keep your skin smooth and hydrated.
6. Coffee Scrubs
Coffee scrub is one of the most effective solutions on how to get rid of stretch marks as it can eliminate loose skin and dead skin cells. It also promotes the generation of new skin cells and stimulates blood circulation.
- Mix some coffee grounds with enough lukewarm water. Apply the mixture on the stretch marks and massage for five minutes. Let it sit for 15 minutes and wash off with water.
- Alternatively, you can combine two tablespoons of coffee grounds with one-fourth cup of Greek yogurt. Add some lemon juice and mix all ingredients. Apply it on your skin and leave it on for 10 minutes. Massage the area gently for 5 minutes more and rinse off with lukewarm water.
- You can also mix four tablespoons of ground coffee, one-half teaspoon of turmeric, and one tablespoon of ginger powder. Massage the mixture on your skin for five minutes and leave it on for 15 minutes. Wash it off with lukewarm water.
Alfalfa leaves contain vitamins E and K, amino acids, and other essential nutrients that are beneficial to the skin.
- Combine alfalfa powder with enough chamomile oil to create a paste.
- Apply the mixture on the affected areas.
- Repeat this treatment two to three times daily until your stretch marks are gone.
How to Prevent Stretch Marks
Weight Control: Stretch marks are usually caused by the drastic change in your weight. Therefore, maintaining a healthy weight is the most effective way to prevent stretch marks. Eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly is a good way to control your weight.
Dringking enough water: Drink plenty of water to keep your skin hydrated. Eight glasses of water per day can help your skin to maintain elasticity and soft. This can help prevent stretch marks effectively.
Maintain a healthy diet: Sometimes, lacking nutrition can also lead to stretch marks. Eat more foods rich in protein, zinc, vitamin C, vitamin D and vitamin E. This can boost your skin health.
Many vegetables and fruits are rich in vitamin C, such as oranges, lemons, oranges, and kiwi are all good sources.
According to a latest study, vitamin D can reduce the risk of stretch marks. You can eat more bread, cereal,milk or yogurt to intake vitamin D. In addition, regular sun exposure is also a good way to get vitamin D.
Avoid caffeinate: Try to avoid caffeinated beverages such as coffee. Caffeine can disturb the hormone levels in your body and increase the risk of developing stretch marks. If you drink coffee, try to drink a lot of water to balance your fluid intake.