Having swollen gums can make it hard for you to do your normal, everyday tasks. Even if you could still make use of your hands and feet, having swollen gums can make it complicated for you to do the simples things. The most obvious choice is to make the pain go away at the soonest possible time before it becomes even harder to function. This article shows you the top 10 home remedies for swollen gums & bleeding.
It is important for people to know the different reasons why their gums get swollen.
Possible Reasons for Swollen Gums & Bleeding
- Gingivitis – One of the main causes of swollen gums is gingivitis which is a condition wherein the gums become irritated or swollen caused by poor oral hygiene that can lead to the buildup of cavities and tartar.
- Wisdom Tooth – When the wisdom tooth grows, there is a chance that the gums will be swollen in order to accommodate the tooth that is about to come out. Sometimes having an impacted tooth can also have the same effect.
- Malnutrition – Those who do not get enough nutrition in their system usually get swollen gums. This is caused by not having enough vitamins B or C.
- Periodontitis – This is the condition wherein the gums are severely inflamed and swollen because the bone and the soft tissue inside the mouth are already deteriorating. If no immediate remedy will be done, this might make people lose their teeth.
There are still other possible causes of having swollen gums but once you feel that you are having swollen gums, the next thing that you should do is to try getting rid of the pain. While home remedies can be effective in getting rid of the pain or preventing the gums to become even more swollen, when the deterioration or the swelling of the gums is already in an advanced stage, it will still be best to seek for the help of a medical doctor.
Natural Home Remedies to Get Rid of Swollen Gums & Bleeding
Garlic is one of the things that you can use to get rid of your swollen gums. It contains some antibiotics and other medicinal properties that can give instant relief to the gums. Use garlic in order to help get relief from the pain.
- Mix fresh garlic cloves with table salt and place it directly on the affected area of the gums that need to be fixed.
- Repeat this treatment for days until relief is felt.
If you are not too familiar with Bergamot oil, it is the type of oil that has powerful antiseptic properties. This means that it can easily get rid of bacteria that might be causing the gums to become swollen and painful.
- Prepare Bergamot oil. You can mix it in with peppermint oil.
- Place the oil on the swollen gums.
- Another option is to make it a mouthwash.
Even though you might not like the taste of raw onion, it can be very effective in getting rid of the bacteria that is causing the bacteria and the germs that might be causing the swelling of the gums. It can also help in providing instant relief from the pain.
- If you cannot take biting into a raw onion, cut half an onion into small pieces.
- Chew on the onion on the spot where the gums are inflamed. If you cannot cut into in, mash the onion and place the onion juice on the affected area.
- Repeat as often as needed.
Rose flower contains some antiseptic properties that can help reduce the inflammation of the gums and effectively reduce the pain. It is in liquid form and would have to be kept in the mouth for a certain period of time for the effect to take place.
- Prepare rose flower and squeeze half a lemon on the liquid. Mix them together.
- Put the mixed liquid in your mouth and keep it there for as long as you can.
- Throw out and gargle with warm water.
- Do this about three times a day.
Aside from the fact that ginger is used to get rid of throat infections, it can also be an effective remedy that can be used to get rid of the inflammation and swelling of the gums. Swollen gums will tend to feel better after using this home remedy.
- Grind a small piece of ginger and mix it in with salt until you create a paste.
- Place the paste directly on top of the swollen part of the gums.
- Rub the paste on the gums and massage it a bit.
- This can be done several times during the day as long as you see fit.
There is a possibility that you are not too familiar with what Mehandi is. Mehandi is commonly known as Henna and it also has healing properties that can help make the swelling and inflammation of the gums go down immediately. This is actually the fastest-acting home remedy to fight swollen gums so this is the best one to try if you are searching for instant relief.
- Get some of the Henna leaves and clean them.
- Place the clean leaves in a pot of boiling water.
- Let the leaves boil for about 15 minutes.
- Strain the solution.
- Filter the remaining leaves.
- Gargle using the solution.
- This can be done twice a day.
Whenever home remedies are created, castor seeds of castor are usually placed on the list. This is probably because of its healing properties that can help give immediate relief regarding the pain that you are feeling. This can help reduce the swelling of the gums significantly.
- If you have castor seeds, grind the castor seeds until they are in powder form and mix it in with camphor.
- Place the paste on the affected area.
- This can be done twice a day. It is recommended that the first application will be in the morning and the second one in the evening.
- Do the same if you are going to use castor oil.
If you would like to get instant relief from the pain that you are feeling but you do not want to take up medication, the best thing that you can do is to prepare a saline solution. Do remember that this will only give temporary relief but will not make the problem or the cause go away entirely.
- Mix in warm water with sea salt.
- Gargle the solution and swirl the solution around the mouth for a certain period of time.
- Throw out the solution and do this several times during the day.
The acidity of the lemon might make it painful if you are experiencing swollen gums but the pain can instantly be replaced with relief once the good effects of lemon start to take place.
- Prepare a glass full of warm water.
- Squeeze a whole lemon on the glass.
- Place a bit of honey to taste.
- Use the warm lemon water for gargling.
- This can be done several times a day.
A lot of people are still not aware that peppermint can actually help give instant relief against the swelling of the gums. Mix this with salt and this can give instant relief to the pain, inflammation, and swelling of the gums that you are feeling.
- Place 2 – 3 gums of peppermint in water.
- Place salt and mix them together.
- Gargle with the solution and swish around the mouth.
- Throw it out.
- This can be done about 2 – 3 times a day until the swelling of the gums truly stops.
The above-mentioned things are just some of the possible home remedies that can be done to help get rid of swollen gums & Bleeding.