Swollen gums and bleeding can be uncomfortable and painful, and sometimes even embarrassing. Fortunately, there are many home remedies that you can use to help reduce inflammation and pain associated with swollen gums and bleeding.
From natural remedies such as aloe vera and tea tree oil to lifestyle changes like avoiding sugary foods and drinks, there are many ways to help reduce the symptoms of swollen gums and bleeding. With the right combination of natural and lifestyle remedies, you can help keep your gums healthy and reduce the pain and embarrassment of swollen gums and bleeding.
Possible Reasons for Swollen Gums & Bleeding
Swollen gums and bleeding can be alarming and uncomfortable, but understanding the causes and treatments can help you to address the issue quickly and easily. Gingivitis and periodontal disease are two of the most common causes of swollen and bleeding gums.
Other possible causes include hormonal changes, vitamin deficiencies, and aggressive brushing or flossing. Fortunately, swollen gums and bleeding can usually be treated with good oral hygiene, a healthy diet, and professional dental care.
- Gingivitis – One of the leading causes of swollen gums is gingivitis, a condition wherein the gums become irritated or swollen caused by poor oral hygiene, leading to a buildup of cavities and tartar.
- Wisdom Tooth – When the wisdom tooth grows, there is a chance that the gums will be swollen to accommodate the tooth that is about to come out. Sometimes having an impacted tooth can also have the same effect.
- Malnutrition – Those who do not get enough nutrition in their system usually get swollen gums. This is caused by not having enough vitamins B or C.
- Periodontitis is a condition wherein the gums are severely inflamed and swollen because the bone and the soft tissue inside the mouth are already deteriorating. If no immediate remedy is done, people might lose their teeth.
Natural Home Remedies to Get Rid of Swollen Gums & Bleeding
Garlic is one of the things that you can use to get rid of your swollen gums. It contains some antibiotics and other medicinal properties that can give instant relief to the gums. Use garlic to help get relief from the pain.
- Mix fresh garlic cloves with table salt and place them directly on the affected area of the gums that need to be fixed.
- Repeat this treatment for days until relief is felt.
If you are not too familiar with Bergamot oil, it is the type of oil with powerful antiseptic properties. This means that it can easily get rid of bacteria that might be causing the gums to become swollen and painful.
- Prepare Bergamot oil. You can mix it in with peppermint oil.
- Place the oil on the swollen gums.
- Another option is to make it mouthwash.
Even though you might not like the taste of raw onion, it can be very effective in getting rid of the bacteria causing the bacteria and germs causing the gums’ swelling. It can also help in providing instant relief from pain.
- If you cannot take biting off the raw onion, cut half an onion into small pieces.
- Chew on the onion on the spot where the gums are inflamed. If you cannot cut into it, mash the onion and place the onion juice on the affected area.
- Repeat as often as needed.
Rose flower contains some antiseptic properties that can help reduce the inflammation of the gums and effectively reduce the pain. It is in liquid form and would have to be kept in the mouth for a certain period for effect to occur.
- Prepare rose flowers and squeeze half a lemon into the liquid. Mix them.
- Put the mixed liquid in your mouth and keep it there for as long as possible.
- Throw out and gargle with warm water.
- Do this about three times a day.
Aside from the fact that ginger is used to get rid of throat infections, it can also be an effective remedy that can be used to get rid of the inflammation and swelling of the gums. Swollen gums will tend to feel better after using this home remedy.
- Grind a small piece of ginger and mix it with salt until you create a paste.
- Place the paste directly on top of the swollen part of the gums.
- Rub the paste on the gums and massage it a bit.
- This can be done several times during the day as long as you see fit.
There is a possibility that you are not too familiar with what Mehandi is. Mehandi is commonly known as Henna, and it also has healing properties that can help make the swelling and inflammation of the gums go down immediately. This is the fastest-acting home remedy to fight swollen gums, so this is the best one to try if you are searching for instant relief.
- Get some of the Henna leaves and clean them.
- Place the clean leaves in a pot of boiling water.
- Let the leaves boil for about 15 minutes.
- Strain the solution.
- Filter the remaining leaves.
- Gargle is using the solution.
- This can be done twice a day.
Castor Seeds or Oil
Whenever home remedies are created, castor seeds of castor are usually placed on the list. This is probably because of its healing properties that can help give immediate relief regarding the pain you feel. This can help reduce the swelling of the gums significantly.
- If you have castor seeds, grind the castor seeds until they are in powder form and mix it in with camphor.
- Place the paste on the affected area.
- This can be done twice a day. It is recommended that the first application will be in the morning and the second one in the evening.
- Do the same if you are going to use castor oil.
If you want instant relief from the pain you are feeling but do not want to take up medication, the best thing you can do is prepare a saline solution. Remember that this will only give temporary relief but will not make the problem or cause entirely disappear.
- Mix in warm water with sea salt.
- Gargle the solution and swirl the solution around the mouth for a certain period.
- Throw out the solution and do this several times during the day.
The acidity of the lemon might make it painful if you are experiencing swollen gums, but the pain can instantly be replaced with relief once the sound effects of lemon start to take place.
- Prepare a glass full of warm water.
- Squeeze a whole lemon in the glass.
- Place a bit of honey to taste.
- Use warm lemon water for gargling.
- This can be done several times a day.
Many people are still unaware that peppermint can help give instant relief against the swelling of the gums. Mix this with salt, which can provide instant relief to the pain, inflammation, and swelling of the gums you are feeling.
- Place 2 – 3 gums of peppermint in water.
- Place salt and mix them.
- Gargle with the solution and swish it around the mouth.
- Throw it out.
- This can be done about 2 – 3 times a day until the swelling of the gums truly stops.
How to prevent swollen gums and bleeding?
The most important step in preventing swollen gums and bleeding is to practice good oral hygiene. Brush your teeth at least twice a day with a soft bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste, and floss at least once a day.
Be sure to brush gently and in circular motions. This will help to remove plaque and bacteria that can lead to gum irritation and inflammation.
Additionally, you should visit your dentist for regular checkups and cleanings. The dentist can help to identify any issues that may be causing your swollen gums and bleeding, such as gum disease or infection. If the cause is identified, the dentist can provide treatment to help prevent further damage.
Also, if you are taking any medications that might be causing your swollen gums and bleeding, speak with your doctor or pharmacist about alternative medications or treatments.
Finally, make sure to eat a balanced diet that is low in sugar and high in fiber. This will help to keep your gums healthy and reduce irritation.