How to get rid of tight feeling in throat?There is a chance that you cannot help but feel uncomfortable when your throat feels tight. Do you know the reason why your throat feels this way at times? If it has never happened to you before, this might cause you to feel a bit more alarmed. Sometimes, the tightness in the throat area resolves on its own but there are also times when it can take some time.
Causes of Tight Feeling in Throat
Here are just some of the possible reasons why you may feel a tight feeling in your throat:
- Anxiety – When you are feeling anxious, you sometimes have this feeling that you cannot breathe because your throat has closed up. You will also feel a variety of other symptoms like barely being able to breathe and sweating.
- Allergies – There may be times when you would eat something that you are not supposed to eat and as your immune system attacks the particles of allergen, you become affected in the process. Getting allergies like this can be serious and require immediate medical attention.
- Thyroid Disorders – If you have a lump in your throat or your thyroid is not working as well as it should, this can be a bit of a problem. When nodules form on the thyroid this can make it difficult for people to swallow. Problems with the thyroid should be checked immediately.
- GERD – If there is acid reflux brought about by having GERD then this can cause certain tightness in the throat.
- Throat Cancer – There are also instances when the tightness in the throat can be caused by something serious like throat cancer. Usually, it will start up like other sore throat symptoms but the main difference is that there is also a lump that might appear in the process.
Aside from these reasons, there may still be other possibilities why you feel a tight feeling in your throat. It will be advisable that you will look into these reasons so that you will know the type of treatment that you should undergo in order to make the tight feeling go away.
Ways on How to Get Rid of Tight Feeling in Throat
If the feeling that you have in your throat is caused by anxiety, here are certain things that you ought to do:
- Drink Water – The main reason why you are feeling anxious is because you cannot calm down and since drinking a glass of water can calm you down, this can help you out a lot. When you drink water, you also hydrate your body and this gives your body a sense of calm that you might not experience without drinking water.
- Exercise – Those who are feeling anxious may release the stress that they are feeling because of the anxiety by exercising. Not only will it help release hormones that can make a person feel better, this can also be good for the body overall.
- Take Herbs – There are certain herbs that you can take that can cause you to feel calmer and this will reduce feelings of anxiety that might be closing your throat to close up. Make sure that you will do enough research to make sure that these herbs are safe for you to take. At the same time, you also have to know if it can effectively calm you down.
If the tight feeling that you are experiencing in your throat is caused by food allergies, here are some of the things that you should do:
Prevention is always better than cure so you should first know the food products that you should avoid so that you will have lesser chances of acquiring food allergies. Make sure that you are aware and you know which food products to avoid.
- Eating Out – When you eat out in restaurants, always as the waiter ahead of time regarding the ingredients that are used to eat certain meals. The ingredients can then be removed from the food that you would like to eat or you may order something else that will be safer for you.
- Avoid Eating Food that Causes Allergies – There is a chance that you truly like the taste of the food that you are allergic to so you may want to sneak off and eat a bit of the food from time to time. Do remember that this is not recommended since the effects can be life threatening.
- Drink Prescribed Medications – There are some medications that are available for people who have food allergies. This will lessen the effects of getting allergies considerably.
If the feeling that you have in your throat is because of thyroid problems, here are some of the solutions that you may do:
- Surgery – If the tightness in your throat is caused by throat nodules, then you can undergo surgery in order to remove the nodules. You will then have to recover from the surgery before you can return to your normal daily routine.
- Undergo Checkup – There is a chance that the tightness in the throat is caused by having hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism. Either way, the feeling can be uncomfortable.
If what you are feeling uncomfortable about is caused by having GERD, then these are just some of the things that you have to do:
- Follow the prescribed medication given by your doctor – Your doctor will be in charge of giving you a prescription for the medications that you need to take that will eventually lessen the symptoms of GERD and in turn will help you avoid feeling some tightness in your throat area.
- Take Lighter Meals – It will be harder for your digestive system to cope if you are going to eat heavy meals all the time. What you ought to do is make sure that you will take lighter meals.
- Change Your Diet – If your diet usually consists of taking heavy food then you might want to pay more attention to your diet and eat lighter food instead. For instance, you may want to eat healthier food products and stay away from fast food.
If the tightness in your throat is brought about by a serious condition like throat cancer, here are some of the things that you ought to do:
- Have yourself diagnosed by your doctor – The doctor will run a series of tests to know if the condition that you are feeling is truly brought about by having the condition.
- Ask for the available treatments – There are certain treatments that you can do for your condition depending on what stage the cancer is in. Your doctor will be truthful and will let you know the possible things that you can do.
- Surgery – There are times when surgery is required to take out the cancer cells on the throat that may eventually multiply and spread to other parts of the body.
- Lifestyle Change – Living a healthier lifestyle is vital in making sure that you will be strong enough to take the other treatments that you may have to undergo.
The tightness in your throat may be something that will go away over time but it may also be something that you have to give special attention to. Make sure that you will have yourself checked at all times so that you can stay healthy.