Have you ever suffered from a wheezing cough? Sometimes the wheezing cough is merely a symptom of another health condition. Once you know the cause of the wheezing cough, it will be easier for the doctor to give you instructions. At the same time, there are some home remedies you can try to improve your condition.
The Causes of Wheezing Cough
Here are the different causes of wheezing cough:
- Inflammation of the vocal cords
- Persistent cough or colds that the person is suffering from for a long time
- Respiratory tract infection
- Being exposed to smoke through smoking or second hand smoke
- Being exposed to pollen or other things that may cause allergies
There are also some people who may start wheezing and then coughing when they smell something that is different. For example, if a guest enters a new home wearing a perfume that is a bit strong, it can be enough for any person who is sensitive to smells to start wheezing.
There are also times when it is an underlying health condition that causes wheezing cough to be one of the symptoms.
- Anaphylaxis – This is an allergic reaction that people get whenever the airways are blocked and irritated.
- Asthma – There are a lot of people who have already associated wheezing to asthma because this is normally experienced by people who become overly excited about the things that they experience.
- Bronchial Tube Constriction – Some people suffer from constricted bronchial tubes probably caused by inflammation.
- COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) – This is a condition wherein breathing becomes very hard to do.
- Pulmonary Edema – This is the condition wherein there is an accumulation of fluids in the respiratory tract. This makes breathing harder to do. This can also make people wheeze a lot.
People also experience wheezing when they become stressed over the things that they are currently experiencing. When a person is undergoing chronic stress, expect that this can lead to severe wheezing.
How to Get Rid of Wheezing Cough Fast and Naturally
There are different things that ginger is known for. It is means to stop coughing, wheezing and a lot of other ailments. Ginger is meant to relax the muscles of the respiratory tract. It is something that is similarly done by some medications that you can purchase. The only difference with ginger is you know you are using something completely natural.
- Grate ginger so that you will make its juices come out.
- Add in boiling water.
- Steep for about 5 minutes and wait for the ginger juice to cool down before drinking.
When you do this everyday, you will get rid of wheezing which is really an unpleasant symptom.
Another way that you can use ginger is by doing this process:
- Add ginger juice with honey.
- You need to take one tablespoon of this concoction twice or thrice a day.
You may think that garlic is one of those spices that you can use whenever you want to improve what you are cooking but garlic has always been used as a home remedy for different types of conditions. There are people who have used garlic for a long time so why should you not start using it now? The best thing about garlic is that it can clear the congestion that may be causing the wheezing to take place. This contains Vitamin C that can also heal various respiratory diseases. If in case your wheezing cough is caused by allergies, the Vitamin C content of garlic will make sure that histamine is effectively banished from your body.
- Add garlic as one of the spices that can improve the taste of your dishes
This may seem easy enough, right? If you want to make garlic more potent, here are the different things that you can do:
- Take peeled garlic cloves and crush them.
- Add them to a pot.
- Pour in the milk and make sure that you will stir constantly.
- If you would not stir, you will make the milk solid and most of it will stick on the bottom of the pot.
- Strain the garlic and wait for the milk to go warm.
- Drink this milk.
Another easy thing that you can do with garlic is to just eat it raw. This may seem like torture to some people especially those who cannot take the spice and taste of garlic but if you love garlic, you will not have any trouble with consuming raw garlic at all.
Coffee is one of the home remedies to treat wheezing cough. It has gotten a mixed reputation over the years with people who cannot decide if they are good for their systems or not. Coffee can be good for the body provided that it will be taken in moderation.
The time when it becomes bad is when people take too much of it in a day. Some can consume up to 8 cups and this is not healthy anymore. Wheezing is just one of the symptoms that coffee can treat probably because of coffee’s molecular structure. With coffee, you can improve the way that your lungs function for about 2 hours after you drink it.
- Prepare strong coffee. Remember that the stronger the coffee is, the more potent it is going to be.
- Drink black coffee without cream, milk or sugar only up to 3 times every day.
If you drink coffee more than 3 times a day, the bad effects of caffeine will start to become evident.
If you are searching for an all-natural and effective treatment for your wheezing and coughing, you do not have to look any further. You know that honey is going to work well for you. What it does is it makes sure that it will lessen the amount of mucus that are found in your passageway. Just remember that picking the best honey is half the battle. When you see the types of honey available, it will be enough to make you confused about what you are supposed to get. Just choose raw and organic honey. Raw means that it has not been processed and it is the most potent in treating your wheezing cough as well as other health conditions you may have.
- Consume a quarter of teaspoon of honey as many times as you need to do so throughout the day.
Another option is to make honey tea by doing the following:
- Prepare a glass of hot water.
- Add a teaspoon of honey and mix thoroughly.
- You may place lemon juice if you want to make it taste better.
- Allow the hot glass of water to turn warm.
- Drink slowly.
- Do this three times a day.
You can also mix honey with cinnamon powder if you start to have a wheezing cough while you are asleep. If the cough wakes you up, this home remedy will be effective in treating it.
What else do you know from onions aside from the fact that it can make you cry when you start slicing it? You know how much it can add taste to various dishes and you should also know that it is one of the items used for natural home remedies. Onions have anti-inflammatory properties. This means that if your wheezing is caused by inflamed airways, the inflammation will be reduced significantly.
- You can eat raw onions when you want to get immediate relief from your wheezing. If in case you cannot take the taste of onions, you can hold your breath while eating. It makes the onions have a taste that is similar to apples.
- If in case you still cannot take the taste of raw onions, you may cook the onions so that they will be a bit softer when you eat them.
A wheezing cough may be caused by Vitamin C deficiency. If only you have enough Vitamin C in your system, you do not have to worry about the wheezing cough too much. Lemon contains enough Vitamin C in order to help you feel better. At the same time, it also contains antioxidants that will help get rid of the components that are causing you to suffer from a wheezing cough.
- Get half a lemon and squeeze it in a glass of warm water.
- Add a teaspoon of sugar in order to make it taste better.
- Drink this 2 – 3 times a day.
If in case you feel that the only reason why you are not getting enough Vitamin C is because of your food intake, you may eat other fruits that are high in Vitamin C. When all else fails, get Vitamin C supplements that will improve the amount of Vitamin C that you have in your system. The amount you need will depend on your age. Always ask your doctor about it.
Some people are not too familiar with Gingko Biloba but this has been used as a natural home remedy by our ancestors for so many years already. This herb is effective in making people more relaxed. If you are starting to feel anxious because of your wheezing cough, taking Gingko Biloba will make you feel better. This can help improve your lung’s function so that it will be stronger and less vulnerable to obstructions. Drink this as a tea in order to get your wheezing cough under control.
- Add the gingko biloba herb in boiling water.
- Allow it to steep for about 3 – 5 minutes.
- Allow the tea to cool down so you will not burn your tongue.
- Drink this tea two to three times a day and you will start to see some significant results.
There are some people who are not allowed to do this home remedy. For example, if you are taking blood thinner medications, you should not do this anymore. If you are about to undergo a surgery or a dental procedure, you should not take this tea too as this can make you bleed more than usual.
When people discovered that turmeric can do a lot of things, people have become overly excited about it. Suddenly, you can see turmeric powders being sold everywhere. People are purchasing in high amounts because they know that they would drink it often. What exactly can turmeric do? Turmeric can be effective in reducing the inflammation at the passageways that may be causing the wheezing cough to take place. This is a great source of vitamins and minerals that you should include in your diet whether you are suffering from a wheezing cough or not.
- Simply add turmeric powder to a glass of hot water.
- Allow the drink to cool down a bit.
- Drink slowly.
- Do this twice a day to get the best results.
Have yourself checked by the doctor to be sure that you are not suffering from anything serious that may require further medications and treatments.