If there is one thing that you do not want to see on your hair right now, it is white hair. When the first white hair strand appears, you can already expect that white hair will follow. It is only a matter of time before your hair starts to show a salt and pepper look.
White hair is common and is bound to happen once you reach a certain age, but when you start acquiring white hair when you are in your 20s or 30s, it is enough for you to start panicking.
When you get gray hair or white hair, this is an indication that your hair is losing its pigmentation. When you are losing pigment, your hair turns gray, but when your hair does not have any pigmentation, it turns white.
Many women use coloring to mask white hair. However, there are more natural and less harmful tips that can help you hide them. This article provides you 11 natural remedies to get rid of white hair at home.
The Cause of White Hair
You have to remember that your hair will grow, stay in your head, and be pushed out by new hair follicles. A new hair will grow in place, but it will be white if it does not have any pigment. As you age, the pigment that is placed on each strand of the hair is reduced. This is the ultimate reason why hair may be gray, and when there is no pigmentation at all available, it turns white.
There are different reasons why your hair may lose pigmentation at an early age, like the following:
- Genetics – This is one huge factor that you cannot ignore, as this can determine when your hair will lose its pigmentation. Please take a look at your ancestors and see when they start having white hair. The earlier they get white hair, the bigger the possibility that you will start having gray or white hair at that age.
- Hormones – Your hormones will also play a role in your hair’s pigmentation. If there is an imbalance in the hormones, you will most likely develop white hair.
- Bad Diet – If you constantly eat junk food and alcohol, this will take a toll on your body and prematurely cause your hair to turn gray and white.
- Lack of Melanin – It should be remembered that you may not have enough melanin in your system, which can be a problem if you do not get enough nutrition. You can combat this by taking some prescribed supplements.
- Medical Conditions – There may be times when you are unaware that you have some medical conditions that can help lose your hair’s pigmentation.
- The Chemicals in Hair Products – Are you sure about the items that you are using for your hair? Are the ingredients safe enough? The use of hair products and hair dyes may become the cause of premature graying and whitening of your hair.
If your hair is regularly exposed to pollution and ever-changing climates, there is a bigger possibility that your hair will turn white faster.
How to Reduce the Possibility of White Hair
As much as possible, you do not want to get white hair. This is possible if you are going to follow the tips below:
- If you smoke, now is the time to stop smoking.
Smoking can be a cool thing when you started, or it may be something that you use to get rid of stress, but this can do a lot of bad things to the body. It can also be bad for the people around you. Smoking can contribute to the whitening of your hair, but if you quit now, you can reverse the effects immediately.
- Make sure that your thyroid is working fine.
The thyroid gland is actually an important part of your body. If you have hypothyroidism, this may manifest through your white hair. If you are losing your hair’s pigmentation, take a look at your thyroid. For sure, you will see some results.
- Increase your Vitamin B12 intake
Do you know that if you lack Vitamin B12, you may lose some of your hair’s pigmentation? Since you do not want this to happen, make sure that the food you normally eat has enough levels of Vitamin B12 to sustain your body. Even if you already have gray or white hair, increasing the amount of Vitamin B12 that you consume can increase the pigmentation that your body produces again.
- Increase the number of antioxidants that you take
The healthier your diet will be, the less likely you have to worry about white hair. Many products are rich in antioxidants that can help prevent the occurrence of white hair. Antioxidants can be effective in getting rid of toxins to lessen the possibility of your hair turning white.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of White Hair
You already know a few effective tips on how you can prevent getting premature white hair, but if you already have white hair, do not worry because there are some effective home remedies that you can use to darken your hair again.
Curry leaves are always known to be effective in improving the hair color, which can be used easily, too, especially when mixed with buttermilk.
- Mix the curry leaves with buttermilk.
- Once thoroughly mixed, apply on the portions of the hair that needs darkening.
- Leave on the hair for about 30 – 40 minutes before rinsing.
This is one of the items that has always been known to be effective for treating white hair. This is actually the home remedy that people try often. Gooseberry is also known as amla.
- Boil the gooseberries in coconut oil.
- Get the coconut oil that has been charred.
- Once bearable, place the coconut oil on the sections of the hair that need to be darkened.
- Massage your hair with oil.
There is an alternative use to Gooseberry that you may want to try too if you are using dried amla.
- Soak the dried gooseberry in water overnight.
- Use the water from this as your rinse when you bathe the next day.
The tea color is probably the ultimate reason you can use it to make your hair darker.
- Boil black tea in water.
- Allow the black tea to cool down.
- Apply it to the scalp for about an hour.
- Rinse well with water.
Take note that you are not supposed to shampoo your hair when you use this remedy.
You may think that sage will not be effective for making your hair darker because it is lightly colored, but this has always been an effective home remedy for the premature whitening of your hair.
- Boil the leaves in water. The amount will depend on the number of sage leaves you are going to put.
- Allow the mixture to cool down.
- Place the mixture in your hair evenly.
- Leave on your hair for about 1 – 2 hours.
- Wash your hair with your shampoo. The milder your shampoo, the better.
Fenugreek seeds are always recommended for people who are suffering from premature whitening of their hair.
- Soak the fenugreek seeds in water overnight.
- Consume the seeds in the morning.
- You may also need to drink the water in the morning before you eat anything.
If you want to see obvious results, you have to continue doing this for a period of 4 – 6 months.
One of the reasons black pepper is probably known to be highly effective for darkening your hair is its color. This can also be effective in promoting hair growth, so if this is your problem, you can hit two issues with this remedy.
- Mix black pepper with fresh curd.
- Add lime juice and mix thoroughly.
- Apply on the hair and scalp.
To get the best results, do this every day for a couple of weeks.
Many people do not realize that sesame seeds can be used for a lot of purposes. Sesame seeds may be amazing when added to various dishes, but if you want to find a good home remedy to get rid of your white hair, using sesame seeds can be effective. It is known to boost the production of melanin and keratin, which can help improve your skin’s condition.
- You would need to prepare sesame seeds.
- Grind the sesame seeds until they are in powder form.
- Add them to coconut oil.
- Massage the sesame seeds on your hair and scalp.
- Wait for about half an hour before rinsing.
Carrot Seeds Oil
Some people become surprised to know that carrots actually have seeds, but carrot seeds can improve your hair’s condition. This is most effective for letting your hair turn back to its natural hair color.
- You need to mix an equal amount of carrot seed oil with an equal amount of sesame seed oil.
- Apply the mixture after you have mixed them well with your scalp and roots.
- After 20 minutes, wash your hair with warm water.
- Shampoo your hair as usual.
The great thing about this mixture is that it does not turn rancid immediately. You can keep this in the refrigerator for about a month so that you can use it continuously.
You should realize that if you are looking for natural hair dyes, you have to check out herbs to find colors that will best fit your natural hair color. Herbs are very gentle and all-natural, so you do not have to worry that your hair’s condition will worsen over time.
- For dark hair, the natural herbs that you can use are the following: cinnamon, black walnut hulls, rosemary, cloves, nettle, and comfrey root.
- For red hair, you can use anything that is colored red such as the following: hibiscus, red rose petals, red clover, and rosehips.
- If you have blonde hair, the natural herbs that you can use are the following: saffron, marigold, sunflower petals, mullein, and chamomile.
To use these herbs properly, follow the following process:
- Dry out the herbs completely before using them.
- Once they are dehydrated, you can grind them into powder form.
- You can mix and match different herbs until you get your desired color.
- Add water and simmer on the stove for half an hour.
- Allow the water to cool down.
- Add coconut oil and mix thoroughly.
- Apply it to the hair.
Remember that since the ingredients you are using are all-natural, you may have to repeat the process every 2 weeks or maintain the color.
This is known as an anti-aging tonic. There is a legend that talks about how eating this vine have helped save a man’s life because it kept him full, and at the same time, his hair has turned dark again because of this climbing vine. According to studies, this can be very effective in reversing the aging process. Aside from turning your hair dark again, it can also be used as a useful therapy for different diseases.
- While it may be tempting to take all-natural Fo-Ti, you may find it in supplement form.
- Remember to take the supplements depending on the advice of your doctor.
You may know onion as one of those spices that can hurt your eyes when you slice it, but aside from that, this can be very effective in getting rid of your white hair. Onion in paste form may be the most effective as you will be getting all of the juices and the pulp that can help darken your hair effectively.
- Create an onion paste by blending a whole onion.
- Apply the paste to your hair and scalp.
- Let the paste dry up on your hair.
- Use this every day to make the results evident faster.
You can do different things to turn your hair to its natural color again, but following a healthy diet will always make a lot of difference.