Wisdom teeth are third molars that usually appear between 17 and 25. Not everyone has wisdom teeth; some people may have two or three, while others do not have wisdom teeth.
Because wisdom teeth arrive late, there is not enough space for wisdom teeth to grow. They might get stuck or push other teeth away. Sometimes, wisdom teeth grow under the gum, leading to gum infections. This can cause extreme wisdom teeth pain.
Wisdom teeth pain can affect your daily activities. If you are experiencing excruciating pain as your wisdom tooth tries to push through your gum, we have 14 best home remedies that can alleviate swelling and soreness.
Symptoms of Wisdom Teeth Pain
- You may feel intense pain behind your molars. This pain can radiate to your ears, eyes, head, or Jaw.
- You may feel persistent earache and headache.
- Swollen or bleeding gums, the area might tender to touch and looks red and enlarged.
- When the wisdom teeth try to grow, and there is not enough space in the mouth, it may poke through your gums.
15 Best Home Remedies For Wisdom Teeth Pain Relief
These are the most recommended treatments for alleviating pain and swelling caused by a wisdom tooth.
1. Guava Leaves
Guava leaves have quercetin, a bioflavonoid that contains antispasmodic properties. An excellent pain reliever, guava leaves are rich in antimicrobial, analgesic, and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Wash one or two fresh guava leaves. Chew them slowly to make sure that the juice stays in your mouth. This natural method will provide you with relief immediately.
- You can also boil a handful of guava leaves in two cups of water. Strain and let it cool down. Use the solution to rinse your mouth twice or thrice a day to reduce tooth pain.
Guava leaves have astringent, disinfecting, and antibacterial properties, making them one of the best home remedies for wisdom tooth pain. It is also effective for treating bleeding gums and bad breath.
The easiest method to relieve wisdom teeth pain is by using a cold compress on the affected area.
- Wrap some ice cubes in a thin towel or cloth. Put it under running water for a few seconds and apply it to the inflamed area.
- Alternatively, you can place an ice cube inside your mouth or rub it directly on your cheek for numbing effects.
- Another option is to use a bag of frozen vegetables or ice pack and place it on your jaw or cheek to reduce the pain.
Doing any of these treatments will provide short-term relief by alleviating inflammation and numbing your sensations.
Garlic is rich in anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antibiotic, and other medicinal properties that can help reduce wisdom teeth pain. It also helps in preventing infection from developing.
- Chew one or two garlic cloves for instant relief. Repeat this two times a day.
- Alternatively, you can crush some garlic cloves and place them on the affected area.
- Another option is to mix two crushed garlic cloves with enough black salt to form a paste. Apply it to the wisdom tooth and let it sit for a few minutes. Spit it out.
Garlic also deters the body’s inflammatory responses, thanks to its Thiacremonone compounds.
Clove contains analgesic and anesthetic properties that help in numbing the pain caused by a wisdom tooth. It also contains antibacterial and antiseptic properties that prevent infection from developing, making it one of the best home remedies for wisdom tooth pain. You can use both clove oil and clove buds in treating the area.
- Put two or three whole cloves over the aching tooth and let it sit for some time. The oil released by cloves will alleviate the pain. Repeat the application as many times as necessary.
- Another option is to apply clove oil on the wisdom tooth and affected gum using a cotton ball. Repeat the application three times a day. If the olive oil is too strong, you can mix it with a few drops of olive oil.
- You can also make a paste by crushing one garlic clove and mix it with a few drops of clove oil and some rock salt. Apply the mixture to the inflamed gums and let it sit for about five to ten minutes. Gargle with warm water. Repeat this treatment once or twice a day.
Another natural remedy for toothaches and wisdom teeth pain is wheatgrass. This herb contains powerful ingredients that can combat bacteria in the mouth, keeping your gums and teeth clean. This treatment will alleviate pain and prevent infections from occurring.
- Wash some fresh wheatgrass shots.
- Chew them slowly before spitting them out.
- Follow this treatment as often as needed to get immediate relief.
Another way to use wheatgrass is by extracting its juice. Use it as a natural mouthwash three or four times daily.
One of the best home remedies for wisdom teeth pain is saltwater. Salt has been used for thousands of years to kill harmful bacteria and treat and inhibit many types of infection.
- Add two teaspoons of salt in a glass of warm water and mix it well. Gargle with this solution. Follow this simple remedy three times a day to reduce the pain and prevent the development of infection.
- Another option is to combine salt, pepper, and a few drops of water to paste. Apply it to the aching tooth and gums. Leave it on for a few minutes before rinsing off with water. Follow this method three times daily to alleviate discomfort.
7. Oregano Oil
Oregano oil is always included in the list of natural remedies for toothaches and wisdom teeth pain. It contains vitamins A and C and minerals like potassium, manganese, magnesium, zinc, iron, copper, and born. This herb acts as a natural painkiller and can alleviate inflammation caused by a wisdom tooth.
- Combine one teaspoon of olive oil and one drop of oregano oil. Apply the mixture to the affected area. Repeat the application three times a day to relieve discomfort.
- Alternatively, you can add a few drops of oregano oil to one-fourth cup of water. Swish the solution inside your mouth for 30 seconds and spit it out. Repeat this process three times a day.
The thymol and carvacrol compounds in oregano have antifungal and antibacterial properties, making this oil useful for treating tooth abscesses.
Onions contain antimicrobial, antiseptic, and antibacterial properties, making this vegetable one of the best home remedies for wisdom tooth pain. It kills germs while giving immediate relief.
- Place a piece of fresh onion on your wisdom tooth and leave it on for some time. Follow this treatment three or more times a day to reduce the pain.
- Another option is to chew two or three slices of onions slowly.
A popular herb for treating pain, including toothache. Peppermint contains anti-inflammatory, anesthetic, and antiviral properties that can reduce pain and prevent infection. It is also used for treating tooth abscesses due to its antibacterial properties.
- Apply some peppermint oil to the affected area. Let it sit for a few minutes before rinsing off with saltwater. Follow this simple treatment three times daily to relieve the pain.
- Another option is to add one teaspoon of dried peppermint leaves to a cup of boiled water. Let it steep for 20 minutes. Strain and use this solution to rinse your mouth. Swish it for at least 30 seconds before spitting it out. Repeat this remedy three times a day.
- You can also place crushed peppermint leaves on your wisdom tooth and gum to relieve the pain and prevent infections.
Sage is a natural pain reliever, one of the effective home remedies for wisdom teeth pain. To use this herb for a toothache, you will need to mix it with vodka or whiskey to numb the area.
- Combine two teaspoons of crushed sage and one teaspoon of salt in a glass.
- Pour vodka or whiskey and let it sit for about 5 minutes.
- Use the mixture to rinse your mouth. Swish it around your mouth for a few minutes before spitting it out.
- Follow this treatment two or three times daily to get relief.
Sage’s anti-inflammatory and antibiotic properties can help treat toothaches and bleeding gums, mouth sores, and gingivitis.
You may be surprised that potatoes can help treat wisdom tooth pain. This vegetable can alleviate discomfort thanks to its cooling properties. It also contains acidic properties that can combat infection and may help accelerate the healing process of the affected areas.
- Place some slices of potato in the freezer.
- Apply a slice of potato to the affected area and cheek for a few minutes.
- You can also leave it on for one or two hours before rinsing off with water. The cold temperature released by the potato slice can help calm the nerves down and alleviate the pain.
Aside from potatoes, you can also use cucumber slices and follow the same procedure.
12. Tea Tree Oil
Another effective method to alleviate wisdom teeth pain is tea tree oil. It has antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal properties that can help prevent mouth infections. This oil also contains mild anesthetic properties that give numbing effects.
- Mix one drop of tea tree oil with ½ teaspoon of olive oil.
- Apply the mixture to the aching area using a cotton ball. Hold it against your wisdom tooth for a few minutes.
Note: Wash your mouth immediately if you have an allergic reaction or you feel any irritation. Do not ingest the solution, as it may cause digestive problems.
13. Vanilla Extract
Another method to numb the aching area is by applying a few drops of vanilla extract. It contains low levels of alcohol that can reduce the pain, giving you immediate relief from discomfort.
- Add three or four drops of vanilla extract on a cotton ball or Q-tip. Let it sit for five to ten minutes. Follow this treatment twice or thrice daily until you no longer feel pain.
- Another option is using your finger to rub some vanilla extract on the inflamed gums. Because it has a small concentration of alcohol, this method will numb the area around your tooth.
This treatment will provide temporary relief.
14. Baking Soda
Baking soda contains antiseptic properties that help to relieve discomfort and pain from aching wisdom teeth. This home remedy also removes slime and plaque to prevent irritation and infection.
- Apply a thin coat of baking soda on the affected area to alleviate pain. It will also help treat or prevent infection.
- Another option is to add one tablespoon of baking soda in one-half cup of water. Soak a cotton swab in the solution and rub it gently onto the gum and wisdom tooth to relieve the pain.
- You can also swish the solution in your mouth to lessen the pain. This treatment will even get rid of bacteria and prevent infection.
Medical Treatment for Wisdom Teeth Pain?
Here are common treatments that may help alleviate wisdom teeth pain:
- Over-the-counter pain relievers: Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like ibuprofen or acetaminophen can help reduce pain and swelling.
- Topical numbing gels: Over-the-counter gels containing benzocaine can temporarily numb the area around the wisdom teeth, relieving pain.
- Saltwater rinses: Rinsing your mouth with warm saltwater can help reduce inflammation and promote healing. Mix half a teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of warm water, then swish it around your mouth for about 30 seconds before spitting it out.
- Ice packs: Applying an ice pack or a cold compress to the outside of your cheek near the painful area can help reduce swelling and numb the area. Wrap the ice pack in a thin cloth or towel and apply it for about 15 minutes.
- Prescription pain medications: In severe pain cases, your dentist or oral surgeon may prescribe stronger pain medications, such as opioids. These should be used strictly as directed and only for a short duration.
- Antibiotics: If your wisdom teeth pain is accompanied by signs of infection, such as swelling, redness, or fever, your dentist may prescribe antibiotics to fight the infection.
How to Prevent Wisdom Teeth Pain?
Here are some helpful tips to prevent gum infection and wisdom tooth pain.
- Pay attention to oral hygiene: Try brushing your teeth twice daily; use floss after each meal. Rinse your mouth with mouthwash after meals, which can effectively reduce bacterial infections in the mouth.
- Eat fewer hard foods: Chewing hard foods can worsen wisdom teeth pain.
- Avoid sugary foods: Sweet foods can enter broken gums and promote bacterial growth. This will aggravate the wisdom tooth infection.
- Drink lots of water: Drinking plenty of water can help remove the remaining food and bacteria in your teeth and gums. This can also help keep your gums moist.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How long does wisdom teeth pain last?
The duration of wisdom teeth pain can vary from person to person. In most cases, the pain subsides within a few days to a week. If the pain persists or worsens, it is advisable to seek professional dental care.
2. Are there any foods I should avoid when experiencing wisdom teeth pain?
During wisdom teeth eruption, avoiding hard, crunchy, and chewy foods that may aggravate the pain is advisable. Stick to soft foods like mashed potatoes, yogurt, and soup until the discomfort subsides.
3. Should I consider getting my wisdom teeth removed?
If you experience recurring or severe pain, gum infection, damage to adjacent teeth, or complications from impacted wisdom teeth, your dentist may recommend their removal. It is best to consult a dental professional to assess your situation.
4. When should I seek professional dental care for wisdom teeth pain?
If the pain is severe, accompanied by swelling, difficulty opening the mouth, or signs of infection, it is essential to seek professional dental care promptly. A dentist will evaluate the condition and recommend appropriate treatment options.