How to get rid of wisdom teeth pain?Wisdom teeth are third molars that usually appear between the ages of 17 and 25. Not everyone has wisdom teeth, some people may have two or three,while some people do not have any wisdom teeth.
Because the wisdom teeth arrive late, there are not enough space for wisdom teeth to grow. They might get stuck or push other teeth away. In some cases, wisdom teeth grow under the gum and lead to gum infections. This can cause extreme wisdom teeth pain
Wisdom teeth pain can affect your daily activities. You may also experience other symptoms such as a headache, swelling, difficulty chewing food, bad breath, pain in the adjacent teeth, and bad breath. If you are experiencing excruciating pain as your wisdom tooth tries to push through your gum, we have here a list of home remedies that can alleviate swelling and soreness.
Natural treatments such as sage, peppermint, and clove can reduce inflammation and help in treating swollen gums. In case of severe pain, make sure that you make an appointment with your dentist as extracting the wisdom tooth may be the best solution. In the meanwhile, you can try one or two of these remedies to reduce the wisdom teeth pain.
How to Tell If It’s Wisdom Teeth Pain Or Something Else
- You may feel intense pain behind your molars.This pain can radiates to your ears, eyes, head or Jaw.
- You may feel persistent earache and headache.
- Swollen or bleeding gums,the area might tender to touch and looks red and enlarged.
- When the wisdom teeth try to grow, and there is not enough space in the mouth, it may poke through your gums.
Oral pain can also have some other causes such as tooth decay, fracture or abscess, and gum infection.Being too sensitive to hot drinks, cold drinks, ice cream, sweets can also cause tooth pain. The pain from sensitivity usually lasts for a few minutes after your teeth exposure to hot, cold, or sweets.
If you can’t determine the reason,you should see your dentist immediately.They can help you find out the cause of the teeth pain.
15 Best Home Remedies For Wisdom Teeth Pain Relief
These are the most recommended treatments for alleviating pain and swelling caused by a wisdom tooth.
1. Guava Leaves
Guava leaves have quercetin, a bioflavonoid that contains antispasmodic properties. An excellent pain reliever, guava leaves are rich in antimicrobial, analgesic, and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Wash one or two fresh guava leaves. Chew them slowly to make sure that the juice stays in your mouth. This natural method will provide you relief immediately.
- You can also boil a handful of guava leaves in two cups of water. Strain and let it cool down. Use the solution to rinse your mouth two or three times a day to reduce tooth pain.
Guava leaves have astringent, disinfecting, and antibacterial properties, making it one of the best home remedies for wisdom tooth pain. It is also effective for treating bleeding gums and bad breath.
The easiest method to relieve the wisdom teeth pain is by using a cold compress on the affected area.
- Wrap some ice cubes in a thin towel or cloth. Put it under running water for a few seconds and apply it on the inflamed area.
- Alternatively, you can place an ice cube inside your mouth or rub it directly on your cheek for numbing effects.
- Another option is to use a bag of frozen vegetables or ice pack and place it on your jaw or cheek to reduce the pain.
Doing any of these treatments will provide a short-term relief by alleviating inflammation and numbing your sensations.
Garlic is rich in anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antibiotic, and other medicinal properties that can help in reducing wisdom teeth pain. It also helps in preventing infection from developing.
- Chew one or two garlic cloves for instant relief. Repeat this two times a day.
- Alternatively, you can crush some garlic cloves and place it on the affected area.
- Another option is to mix two crushed garlic cloves with enough black salt to form a paste. Apply it to the wisdom tooth and let it sit for a few minutes. Spit it out.
Garlic also deters the body’s inflammatory responses, thanks to its Thiacremonone compounds.
Clove contains analgesic and anesthetic properties that help in numbing the pain caused by a wisdom tooth. It also contains antibacterial and antiseptic properties that prevent infection from developing, making it one of the best home remedies for wisdom tooth pain. You can use both clove oil and clove buds in treating the area.
- Put two or three whole cloves over the aching tooth and let it sit for some time. The oil released by cloves will alleviate the pain. Repeat the application as many times as necessary.
- Another option is to apply clove oil on the wisdom tooth and affected gum using a cotton ball. Repeat the application three times a day. If the olive oil is too strong, you can mix it with a few drops of olive oil.
- You can also make a paste by crushing one garlic clove and mix it with a few drops of clove oil and some rock salt. Apply the mixture on the inflamed gums and let it sit for about five to ten minutes. Gargle with warm water. Repeat this treatment once or twice a day.
Another natural remedy for toothaches and wisdom teeth pain is wheatgrass. This herb contains powerful ingredients that can combat bacteria in the mouth, keeping your gums and teeth clean. This treatment will alleviate the pain and prevent infections from occurring.
- Wash some fresh wheatgrass shoots.
- Chew them slowly before spitting them out.
- Follow this treatment as often as needed to get immediate relief.
Another way to use wheatgrass is by extracting its juice. Use it as a natural mouthwash three or four times daily.
6. Salt Water
One of the best home remedies for wisdom teeth pain is salt water. Salt has been used for thousands of years for killing harmful bacteria as well as for treating and inhibiting many types of infection.
- In a glass of warm water, add two teaspoons of salt and mix it well. Gargle with this solution. Follow this simple remedy three times a day to reduce the pain and prevent the development of infection.
- Another option is to combine salt, pepper, and a few drops of water to make a paste. Apply it on the aching tooth and gums. Leave it on for a few minutes before rinsing off with water. Follow this method three times daily to alleviate discomfort.
7. Oregano Oil
Oregano oil is always included in the list of natural remedies for toothaches and wisdom teeth pain. It contains vitamins A and C, and minerals like potassium, manganese, magnesium, zinc, iron, copper, and born. This herb acts as a natural painkiller and can alleviate inflammation caused by a wisdom tooth.
- Combine one teaspoon of olive oil and one drop of oregano oil. Apply the mixture to the affected area. Repeat the application three times a day to relieve discomfort.
- Alternatively, you can add a few drops of oregano oil in one-fourth cup of water. Swish the solution inside your mouth for 30 seconds and spit it out. Repeat this process three times a day.
The thymol and carvacrol compounds present in oregano have antifungal and antibacterial properties, making this oil also useful for treating tooth abscess.
Onions contain antimicrobial, antiseptic, and antibacterial properties, making this vegetable one of the best home remedies for wisdom tooth pain. It kills germs while giving immediate relief.
- Place a piece of fresh onion on your wisdom tooth and leave it on for some time. Follow this treatment three or more times a day to reduce the pain.
- Another option is to chew two or three slices of onions slowly.
A popular herb for treating different kinds of pain including a toothache, peppermint contains anti-inflammatory, anesthetic, and antiviral properties that can lessen the pain and prevent infection. It is also used for treating tooth abscess due to its antibacterial properties.
- Apply some peppermint oil to the affected area. Let it sit for a few minutes before rinsing off with salt water. Follow this simple treatment three times daily to relieve the pain.
- Another option is to add one teaspoon of dried peppermint leaves in a cup of boiled water. Let it steep for 20 minutes. Strain and use this solution to rinse your mouth. Swish it for at least 30 seconds before spitting out. Repeat this remedy three times a day.
- You can also place some crushed peppermint leaves on your wisdom tooth and gum to relieve the pain and prevent infections.
A natural pain reliever, sage is one of the effective home remedies for wisdom teeth pain. To use this herb for a toothache, you will need to mix it with vodka or whiskey to numb the area.
- In a glass, combine two teaspoons of crushed sage and one teaspoon of salt.
- Pour vodka or whiskey and let it sit for about 5 minutes.
- Use the mixture to rinse your mouth. Swish it around your mouth for a few minutes before spitting out.
- Follow this treatment two or three times daily to get relief.
The anti-inflammatory and antibiotic properties in sage can help treat not only toothaches but also bleeding gums, mouth sores, and gingivitis.
You may be surprised to hear that potatoes can help in treating wisdom tooth pain. This vegetable can be used for alleviating discomfort, thanks to its cooling properties. It also contains acidic properties that can combat infection and may help in accelerating the healing process of the affected areas.
- Place some slices of potato in the freezer.
- Apply a slice of potato to the affected area and cheek for a few minutes.
- You can also leave it on for one or two hours before rinsing off with water. The cold temperature released by the potato slice can help calm the nerves down and alleviate the pain.
Aside from potato, you can also use cucumber slices and follow the same procedure.
12. Tea Tree Oil
Another effective method to alleviate wisdom teeth pain is tea tree oil. It has antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal properties that can help in preventing mouth infections. This oil also contains mild anesthetic properties that give numbing effects.
- Mix one drop of tea tree oil with ½ teaspoon of olive oil.
- Apply the mixture to the aching area using a cotton ball. Hold it against your wisdom tooth for a few minutes.
Note: Wash your mouth immediately if you have an allergic reaction or you feel any irritation. Do not ingest the solution as it may cause digestive problems.
13. Vanilla Extract
Another method to numb the aching area is by applying a few drops of vanilla extract. It contains low levels of alcohol that can reduce the pain, giving you immediate relief from discomfort.
- Add three or four drops of vanilla extract on a cotton ball or Q-tip. Let it sit for five to ten minutes. Follow this treatment two or three times daily until you no longer feel the pain.
- Another option is to use your finger and rub some vanilla extract on the inflamed gums. Because it has a small concentration of alcohol, this method will numb the area around your tooth.
This treatment will provide temporary relief.
14. Baking Soda
Baking soda contains antiseptic properties that help to relieve discomfort and pain from aching wisdom teeth. This home remedy is also useful for removing slime and plaque to prevent irritation and infection.
- Apply a thin coat of baking soda on the affected area to alleviate pain. It will also help treat or prevent infection.
- Another option is to add one tablespoon of baking soda in one-half cup of water. Soak a cotton swab in the solution and rub it gently onto the gum and wisdom tooth to relieve the pain.
- You can also swish the solution in your mouth to lessen the pain. This treatment will even get rid of bacteria and prevent infection.
Another old Ayurvedic remedy for wisdom tooth pain is asafetida. Also known as a thing, it contains antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic, and antiseptic properties that can alleviate the aching sensation.
- Apply a small amount of asafetida on the aching area for immediate relief.
- Alternatively, you can mix one-fourth teaspoon of asafetida powder with two tablespoons of fresh lemon juice. Heat up the mixture slightly and soak a cotton ball or Q-tip in the solution. Place it over the aching tooth.
Follow any of these methods a few times a day.
How to Prevent Wisdom Teeth Pain
Here are some helpful tips to prevent gum infection and wisdom tooth pain.
- Pay attention to oral hygiene: Try to brush teeth two times a day,use floss after each meal.Rinse mouth with mouthwash after meals, which can effectively reduce bacterial infections in the mouth.
- Eat less hard foods: Chewing hard foods can worse the wisdom teeth pain.
- Avoid sugary foods:sweet foods can get inside the broken gums and promote bacterial growth.This will aggravate the wisdom tooth infection.
- Drink lots of water:Drinking plenty of water can help remove the remaining food and bacteria in your teeth and gums.This can also help keep your gums moist.
These home remedies for wisdom tooth pain are meant to provide temporary relief. It is best to see your dentist and have your tooth examined. Your dentist will also know the best solution in case of severe pain or when your wisdom teeth are growing in a different direction.